PDA

View Full Version : Kim Harrison's White Witch, Black Curse

lavagrl
March 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
smilies/bump.gifHey guys. I had to start a new thread to discus this because I just finished this book and I need to rave, I need to rant, and I need to know I'm not the only person already dying to see what happens next.

Here goes, if you haven't read the book and want to, don't read this, it'll give things away. If you haven't read the book and don't want to, why are you on this? Go get the books, trust me.

First of all, Pierce. I had to track down Harrison's short holiday story and read it in the middle of reading this one because I had no idea who she was talking about. And boy was I glad I did. Pierce is yummy. I was giggling like a thirteen year old all through it. I want a Pierce for my birthday. It's the way he speaks. And I'm a sucker for a pair of beautiful blue eyes.

Second, Kisten. We finally find out who his killer is and he's already dead! Seriously! That's it? I really think Harrison came up with a new way to take the story and felt she had to wrapup that part so she came up with that. Was it just me, or did Rachel get over his death way too easily?

Third, Trent. I was waiting for him to show up through practically the entire book and then he was just there for a cameo. Come on! I swear him and Rachel have a thing for each other and both refuse to realize it but they will eventually. I was dying to see what would happen between them and that short sideby with him was painful. I guess Harrison's dragging it out, but it's annoying.

Four, Al. (I just realized these are all guys. Go figure.) I couldn't believe after the last one that Rachel was going to learn from him and I was dying to see how that would go, like how he would teach her and them butting heads. But the book never had any of their lesson dates. They did butt heads over the Pierce thing, but that was outside it. I want to see them interacting as teacher and student. Does he actually like Rachel? Is he trying to trick her like he tricked Ceri? Is it wrong that I like the demon?

Five, Marshal. (Another guy. I know.) Rachel was way too easy on him. He was being a coward and ditched her and she was perfectly fine with it. I say good riddance.

I kind of felt like Harrison had a ton more she wanted to put in, but by the time the story was done, she had too much packed in there, it was too long, so she cut out the parts that weren't really relevant to the main storyline.

She's got to put out a short story or something. Something to hold us crazy people over until our next fix, right?

Okay. I'm done, for now. Anyone have any opinions on this or any of Harrison's other books?

CharmedGirl
March 5th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I didn't really like book 6 of this series. But I can't wait to this book because I want to know who killed Kisten and if it doesn't tell me I'm not going to be impressed.

RedPixy
March 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'm glad you mentioned the holiday short story...I'm only on chapter 4 in White Witch Black Curse, but I'll have to read the holiday story to catch up on characters. It's been such a long time since I've read the Hollows books, I need character reminders on who every one is.

lavagrl
March 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Please tell me I didn't ruin any parts of the book for you guys. I did put down I could be spoiling parts.

CharmedGirl, I agree book six was a bit of a let down, because I really wanted them to find Kisten's killer.

RedPixy, have you read the holiday short story? What did you think of Pierce? If you need any reminders on any characters just ask me, I'm kind of rereading the books, so I'll probably know.

CharmedGirl
March 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
White Witch Black Curse isn't out in Australia yet but when it is I'm going to get it. I've read the excerpt at Kim's website and it sounds great.

lavagrl
March 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
When is it out there?

CharmedGirl
March 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM
When is it out there?

April I think.

lavagrl
March 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Okay. Don't read my first part if you haven't already. I don't want to ruin any parts for you.

Does anyone know if Harrison has any short stories coming out any time soon? I should probably check her website, huh?

CharmedGirl
March 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Okay. Don't read my first part if you haven't already. I don't want to ruin any parts for you.

Does anyone know if Harrison has any short stories coming out any time soon? I should probably check her website, huh?

I'm pretty sure I read something about a short story coming out in August but I'm not sure whether it's part of the Rachel Morgan series or not. You'll have to check that lavagrl.

I really liked Marshall in book 6. He was great fun for Rachel when she needed cheering up even though she doesn't want another boyfriend so soon after Kisten.

RedPixy
March 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Please tell me I didn't ruin any parts of the book for you guys. I did put down I could be spoiling parts.

CharmedGirl, I agree book six was a bit of a let down, because I really wanted them to find Kisten's killer.

RedPixy, have you read the holiday short story? What did you think of Pierce? If you need any reminders on any characters just ask me, I'm kind of rereading the books, so I'll probably know.

I haven't read the holiday short story, but I don't want to put this book down either!! I'm making a trip to the library today anyways so I'll have to see if they have it in and just read it (I make it sound like a chore). Lol. And no you didn't spoil anything.

lavagrl
March 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Good. I was hoping I didn't. Tell me what you think of Pierce when you finish it.

Charmedgirl, I know you don't get the seventh for about a month, but tell me what you think of Marshal after you do.

I can't remember, where did the gargoyle come from?

CharmedGirl
March 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Charmedgirl, I know you don't get the seventh for about a month, but tell me what you think of Marshal after you do.

Oh boy that doesn't sound good. Don't tell me Marshall does something bad that really ticks Rachel off because I've got to say he's been the best boyfriend potential for Rachel since Kisten died.

lavagrl
March 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm not saying a word.

I know nothing and that's my story until you read the book.

RedPixy
March 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I've got to put in my 2 cents. Hehe..I read the book, was hoping for a bit more action/ass kicking and I'm not exactly sure how I felt about how Pierce affected Rachels life so much in the end when we hardly heard about him in the previous books.

lavagrl
March 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I do have to agree with you, RedPixy. I like Pierce and everything, but he wasn't even mentioned until this book. I kind of got the feeling Harrison came up with the idea of Pierce and really liked it, so she wrote the holiday short story and put Pierce in the next book, but had to wrap up Kisten's murder to make room for him. And I certainly thought there'd be more fighting and ass kicking. It was as well written and entertaining as all her books, but I really felt like it was a transition book.

RedPixy
April 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Yerp. It does make sense though-Rachel's boyfriend choices-hopefully Pierce will stick or it would have been all for nothing.
**edit**
Awesome seventh! I was hoping for more jokes on Jenks' end too.

RedPixy
April 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
lavagrl-I think Bis just showed up one day. ::thinks back:: not sure either though.

lavagrl
April 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah. I'm going to have to reread some of the sixth book because I cannot for the life of me remember when Bis came in.

ItchyWitch
April 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
smilies/bump.gifHey guys. I had to start a new thread to discus this because I just finished this book and I need to rave, I need to rant, and I need to know I'm not the only person already dying to see what happens next.

Here goes, if you haven't read the book and want to, don't read this, it'll give things away. If you haven't read the book and don't want to, why are you on this? Go get the books, trust me.

First of all, Pierce. I had to track down Harrison's short holiday story and read it in the middle of reading this one because I had no idea who she was talking about. And boy was I glad I did. Pierce is yummy. I was giggling like a thirteen year old all through it. I want a Pierce for my birthday. It's the way he speaks. And I'm a sucker for a pair of beautiful blue eyes.

Second, Kisten. We finally find out who his killer is and he's already dead! Seriously! That's it? I really think Harrison came up with a new way to take the story and felt she had to wrapup that part so she came up with that. Was it just me, or did Rachel get over his death way too easily?

Third, Trent. I was waiting for him to show up through practically the entire book and then he was just there for a cameo. Come on! I swear him and Rachel have a thing for each other and both refuse to realize it but they will eventually. I was dying to see what would happen between them and that short sideby with him was painful. I guess Harrison's dragging it out, but it's annoying.

Four, Al. (I just realized these are all guys. Go figure.) I couldn't believe after the last one that Rachel was going to learn from him and I was dying to see how that would go, like how he would teach her and them butting heads. But the book never had any of their lesson dates. They did butt heads over the Pierce thing, but that was outside it. I want to see them interacting as teacher and student. Does he actually like Rachel? Is he trying to trick her like he tricked Ceri? Is it wrong that I like the demon?

Five, Marshal. (Another guy. I know.) Rachel was way too easy on him. He was being a coward and ditched her and she was perfectly fine with it. I say good riddance.

I kind of felt like Harrison had a ton more she wanted to put in, but by the time the story was done, she had too much packed in there, it was too long, so she cut out the parts that weren't really relevant to the main storyline.

She's got to put out a short story or something. Something to hold us crazy people over until our next fix, right?

Okay. I'm done, for now. Anyone have any opinions on this or any of Harrison's other books?

Uggghhh, I totally know what you mean. When I got it I was sooo excited! And then, lo and behold, I was disappointed. Well, not entirely disappointed, but enough to say this was my least favorite book of the series. I really had wished that perhaps the vampire that killed Kisten was actually the one dude that was with the vampire Rachel killed before. I don't know why I thought it was him... hmm.

Anyways, Pierce. Oh, he was love. So formal and manly and, just oh. I absolutely loved Pierce. And now he has a body and it's not Toms!! (thank God) He was such a cookie.

Kisten? I feel for him, I really do. He was... Gosh he was a good, good person. Funny, sexy, kind, loving... He loved Rachel and Ivy enough to protect them even "without a soul." I did feel that Rachel did get over him a little bit quickly, but it had been months and Kisten wasn't coming back. They weren't even together for that long... I think Rachel deserves to love someone else and be loved in return. You can't pine over something that'll never happen.
Now Ivy, that could still happen. I really, really like the Ivy and Rachel relationship. I wish she would just try kissing Ivy herself, although Ivy probably couldn't handle that-- although she's getting better.

What was up with that stupid banshee anyways? I hated all of them, even that damn baby.

Al... If it's bad that you like him, then I must be bad too, because I absolutely can't wait for parts with Al in it. He's hilarious, as well as dangerous. (I also like Newt and Minias<---poor guy) I feel like I wanted more interaction as well. It would be fun to see Al trying to seduce Rachel, lol. "Here, I can only teach you while you're wearing this awesomely sexy dress. Put it on."

I was totally waiting for Trent as well and he only appears for like, 5 seconds. (well, how fast I was reading it was five seconds) And it's only at a part in which he sees Rachel interacting with a demon again. Ahhaha, and Al fooled Ivy. That was funny.

Another thing I don't like is the small amount of time pixies have to live... I'm going to be absolutely heartbroken when Matalina dies and shattered when Jenks does too. The book was rather depressing in that respect.

Nick... I know he's gonna come back sometime. He has to. Although I HATE him. (I always did because he interfered with Ivy and Rachel)

Can't wait to see Ceri and Quen's bay-bay. :jump:

Anyways, it was just a depressing book all around and it seemed like a small filler book. Kinda like filler episodes to get to a better one in a tv series, right?

Okay, I'm through, lol.

CharmedGirl
April 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I'm hopefully going to order White Witch Black Curse within the next two weeks. I'm not sure I actually want to read it. I was a tad disappointed with book 6 and wasn't sure I wanted to read book 7.

RedPixy
April 13th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Charmedgirl you know you have to read it! There may have been some general disappointment all around, but I'm sure you'll still enjoy it. Lots of funny ha ha's and I think I may have cried a little during some scenes...but there are a couple of revelations by Rache...you really mustn't miss this one!!

lavagrl
April 13th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'm with RedPixy on this one, Charmedgirl. You have to read it. It's still a good book even if we were all hoping for more. It really did fill like a filler book, but that just means the next one's going to be good, and you have to read the filler to know what's going on.