PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Plotting for Pantsters!

Cynnara
March 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hi, everyone! It's me, Cynnara Tregarth. I'm here a bit early, prepping everything for tomorrow's opening of the workshop-- Plotting for Pantsters.

At this very minute, I'm hearing pantsters worldwide saying, "I can't plot! I have to flow organically and let my characters guide the story!" Before you conclude that I'm a die-hard plotter, let me tell you- I am NOT. I used to free write each of my stories, allowing the story and the characters to guide me.

After my fourth story, I realized that I wasn't truly a pantster. I was using the techniques that I learned from role-playing games to create a flexible story framework while allowing me to free write. The worksheets I use help me to pick up and write my story at any time, any place. Yet, I still do have the freedom to change things and allow my characters to hijack the story whenever possible.

What will you take away from this workshop? Honestly-- it depends on what you want from it. I'm not saying that my way is the only way of writing, but what I'm sharing with you will allow you a chance to grow and stretch as a writer. You will have tools to help guide your writing when you're under deadline hell, when your characters have done a 180 in a storyline, and when you just don't know what comes next. Use what works and toss what doesn't.

The only thing I ask from you is this-- if you pass along this workshop and the worksheets-- make sure that I get proper credit for them. That's the only thing I request from you besides enjoying yourself!

Just be aware-- I have a SDJ (Sucky Day Job), so until Saturday-- I'll be posting my daily pieces around 6pm nightly. This is also when I'll answer questions here. After Saturday, I'm on vacation from the SDJ, which means I'll be on and off the computer every day-- except when I'm visiting local wineries!

See you all tomorrow!

Dawn_Montgomery
March 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
:thewave::thewave:

:write:

Definitely looking forward to this one!

Cynnara
March 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Dawn! I'm looking forward to it. It should be good fun.

rebelheart
March 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM
OMGosh, Cynnara! Your class sounds just like what I need to learn more about organization and structure for my writing. Sometimes I feel like I can't keep track of it all.
:goinginsane:
Julie

Chrissy Munder
March 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Good morning all! I'm new to Coffee Time and figured this would be a great way to jump on in. Fantastic topic for this seminar - I'm looking forward to it. (I'm at work so I'll be back and forthing).

Jeanne Vincent
March 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure if I'm a plotter or a pantster, but I'm looking forward to your workshop. :)

Eva Lefoy
March 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah! I made it here. I so need this class.

I start out with the brain dump, then about half way through I lose my way. Or things didn't go as planned. Or whatever!

I bought index cards yesterday. Need to know what to do with them!

bncaudill
March 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm a panster trying to do enough just enough plotting that I won't get bored with the story. Can't wait for this to start. I'll be in and out throughout the workshop as the kiddies allow. Hope you have fun on your vacation from the day job.

lavagrl
March 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
This sounds great. I can't wait to get started. I've been in the midst of a creative block since the semester started, and am hoping the tips and exercises in here will get me flowing again.

CharmedGirl
March 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Sounds great. I'll make sure to stop by, so I can get a few tips to help me if I ever write a book.

Cynnara
March 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Everyone! Good to see everyone one of you. What's funny about this workshop is that in some ways, I feel guilty I'm teaching it. Why? I'm one of those people who look at people who do deep plotting before writing and I just blink in awe. Then I realize-- I'm lazy. I don't like writing a story more than once and I try to write as clean as I can to minimize edits. (Ask my editors about my hatred of doing edits. It's legendary in some circles. LOL)

But you all point out the natural downside to being a pantster-- that somewhere in there, you can and more than likely will lose track of the story plot. Plus, when you don't have an idea of what the ending is, you don't know if you're on the right path for your characters. So what's a pantster to do?

*looks around and grins* You learn to steal just a bit of techniques from those Plotters and find a technique that not only keeps you in check-- but allows you a way to free your time and your mind a bit more.

Follow me into the next thread for the first lesson-- it's a bit of an overview of my initial post-- and a bit more to work with. *grins*

Cyn

Cynnara
March 16th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Jeanne! How can you tell if you're a plotter or a pantster--- the easy way. Do you sit down and let the movie in your head control your fingers until you've pounded out what you've seen and you have no idea what your story is about beyond a small idea? Or do you sit down, think the story through, make notes, outline your story scene by scene for each chapter until you've got it so you follow your outline as you write? The first-- you're a by the seat of your pantster. If you relate more to the second-- you're a plotter.

Most people might have some aspects of the other in their makeup, but they lean heavily one way or another. There are benefits and weaknesses at both extremes-- which is why I preach moderation and to deny the Outline Goddess another sacrifice! LOL

crim101
March 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi
I'm late but am really interested in the class. I keep changing my story, can't decide what to do with my characters.
I'm happy that I found the class.
Thanks Jo Anne

Jeanne Vincent
March 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Actually I do relate more to your description of a pantster. I have scenes pop into my head clear as a bell, and to some degree I "know" where I want the story to go. Unfortunately, when I've tried to lay out a plot or outline or synopsis..*poof* goes my enthusiasm and creativity..and the story. I just need to find a method that will help me go with the flow. :)

Thanks in advance for this workshop!

Sylvie
March 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'm so looking forward to this class...thanks a bunch in advance

sylvie

Actually I do relate more to your description of a pantster. I have scenes pop into my head clear as a bell, and to some degree I "know" where I want the story to go. Unfortunately, when I've tried to lay out a plot or outline or synopsis..*poof* goes my enthusiasm and creativity..and the story. I just need to find a method that will help me go with the flow. :)

Thanks in advance for this workshop!

Cynnara
March 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm the same way, Jeanne. I like the idea of being able to let the scenes flow. But there at the same time, I hated losing the original idea of how the story was supposed to go. So, I played around with lots of ideas, workshops and more until I hit upon a system that allowed me the bare minimum to do ahead of time so I could maximize my natural ability to organically write.