PDA

View Full Version : Any good vampire romance novels? Or should I read another style of novel?

Pages : [1] 2

PrintGoddess
March 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
I am aware of formulaic, sorry for that bad spelling, writing and that romance readers have specific things they want in that formula. BUT

WARNING IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE DON'T READ FURTHER. UNPOPULAR OPINION.

Do romance novels have to be so stupid?

I am certain there are better writers so I am asking for suggestions. Laurel K Hamilton writes an impossible, unrealistic, Mary Sue character that I can't stand. Her writing is 12 year oldish. I also don't like Amanda Ashely. I just read 'For All Eternity' or whatever the title was by Linda Leal Miller and I sware I feel insulted. Either she is a rather silly woman or she thinks romance readers have no real desire for a good story that is more believable than her: awesomely beautiful, becomes Queen of all vampires, can travel through space and time, can read thoughts, do all kinds of stuff with her brain, has awesomely beautiful hair, strange eyes, perfect skin, great figure, can just look at a trunk full of old timey scrolls and 'absorb' their data. Sheesh. El Barf-O-Rama. And of course she gets pregnant at the end of the book. A VAMPIRE WHO DURING THE BOOK SAYS THAT VAMPIRES DO NOT BREATHE OR HAVE A HEART BEAT is supposed to get pregnant. She, the character Mauve, has presence of mind enough to actually ask how that is possible as if the author thinks she might have a reader with brains asking the same thing, yet the author uses the other characters to say 'who knows? It is just one of those things.' Which only means, to me anyway, that the author doesn't care. She got her howevermanypages done.

There are no drama, no realness to these books. I wasn't worried or upset or even vaugely upset that Calder, her mortal love-of-her-eternity, gets shot and is dying. YOU KNOW THAT HE IS NOT because of the formulaic writing. Can't have these lovers who are like so hot and all that die or something. Like, oh my god that would be like tragic or something like. Not that I want characters to die I am just saying I'd like a vampire story with more teeth yet not so heavy and psychologically twisted.

I guess romance is like those 'cozy' mysteries, it is a style you have to just accept.

ANY GOOD WRITERS DOING VAMPIRE STUFF? Any good vampire novels that are not in the romance genre?

Thank You

PrintGoddess
March 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
Sorry if I sounded a bit angry, if that was what made no one reply yet, but I do want to read good books and I get upset, even personally insulted, if I read a book that isn't good. I might should lower my expectations or chill a bit, but I really get mad sometimes and I am sick with a cold so just ignore my sandpaper grittiness. I say things just as I feel them and always try to be honest. I'll try to be nicer.

Just wanted to note, if anyone cares, that I tried reading The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice. I checked a stack of vampire stuff from the library. Mostly all of Linda Leal Miller's series and the Armand one. I have the idea that Rice is respected amongst vampire story lovers so I thought I'd try her. I'd tried reading one of her novels years and years and years ago but was really not mentally old enough for it.

I doubt if I ever will be old enough.

I am sorry. I might be too serious and all that but this novel The Vampire Armand is full of sex scene after sex scene between an adult vampire and a child underage. Then the young Armand is shown brothels where he screws everything.

Why would anyone write something like this? What is the point? What are we to learn from these rather disgusting characters?

I won't appologize for not wanting to read novels where the author is quite 'uncaring', sorry don't know the right word, and talks freely even seemingly promoting child sex.

I don't dislike homosexuals, so her 'homoeroticness' isn't a problem, but her rambling writing and seeming meaningless, uninteresting, over-sexed, rather 'dead inside', characters just are not what I want to read and have in my brain for any length of time. I don't feel as if I have learned anything, enjoyed anything, or that the story was even worth printing.

I liked the Miller vampire romance novels better even though the characters, writing, and plot were not all that great either. But at least her vampires showed SOME morality, I could like these people. I could want a more character, rather than 'when do we read the next sex scene', book of these characters.

I thought I'd try Rice because of this 'respectedness' and because I thought she would be a better writer and that her stories would be more substantial being that they were not 'constrained', not sure if that is the right word, by the romance novel formula.

I prefer the romance novel formula.

At least I do not feel sick after reading it as if the words had poisoned me. I would rather feel a little insulted at the 'sillyness' of the writing.

But, as I write this, I do think I learned something from Rice's book, though I won't finish it I'll finish reading the other Miller books, and that is that the vampires in her novel lead a rather POINTLESS life and even though this Armand character has all the best food, money, knowledge and whatever, he is miserable because he doesn't have a point to his life and is rather mindless. He doesn't think for himself or have a reason for being and this makes him cling to his 'Master' who eventually makes him a vampire because he is some rather sick child molester.

So, in order not to be miserable and whatever, THINK and have a reason for exsisting.

:) Or I might try not thinking so much and just chill.

:lol:

jennzilla
March 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well, Anne's aren't exactly romances, heck her characters can't have the sex. Tho, they do feel a whole bunch of emotion up to and including love.
I do think they made a whole bunch of writers fall in love with vamps so they'd write romances.

As for vamp romances:

Recs:

Angela Knight has a wonderful series of books called The Mageverse. Can you say HOT? Her vamps are all either knights or desendents of the knights of the Round Table. And their female counterparts are all witches also called mages or magi. I love that series. The woman knows romance and she writes great action in and out of the bedroom. Hubba hubba.

Charlaine Harris does a great lighter series that I call the Dead As series because the titles all start out that way. Dead as a Doornail etc. Sookie Stackhouse is the main character, and she's not a vamp, but a psychic. It's set in rural north Louisiana, which happens to be my redneck of the woods, and I'd love it for that reason alone. But, it also happens to be a good paranormal/vamp series that has some romantic elements in it. My fav vamp would be Eric the viking if it weren't for um.. Bubba aka Elvis. :)

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters aren't real vamps but they got fangs, can't go out in the day time. A vamp by any other name is still just as hot, you know. I love that series. She writes them so well it spawned not one but 2 yahoo groups dedicated to her world. These are the ones that she approves and knows about. And by the way, reads from time to time. How do I know that? Because when my friend Deb met her and asked her to sign a book for me, and told her my name, she said "Oh Jenn? Of the Laing Loons?" Did I almost pass out? You betcha I did. No, I didn't cry, ok, yes by golly I did. *sniffs*

Here is a list of authors I buy all the time.

Kelley Armstrong
Kim Harrison
Mary Janice Davidson (funny as all get out)
Katie Macalister (ditto)
JR Ward (hubby loves her, he will hurt you over these books)
Patricia Briggs
Kathy Love

I have read all of these authors. Each have at least some vamps along with their paranormal and romantic elements in them. Some lean more towards suspense, but I like that too. Kathy, Katie and Mary Janice are romantic comedy writers in the vamp genre. They're good at it though.

I hope that when I grow up, I'll be as good at it too. My one and only vamp romance was a comedy called High Chairs and High Stakes in Spellfire Moons Digest from Midnight Showcase. I know it wasn't worth a paragraph in one of these lady's chapters. But hey, I'll keep trying. LOL

I hope this helps you to chill and I'm sorry that Anne freaked ya. She does take some getting used to with her wacky writing. I've always read her with a few grains of salt which I toss over my left shoulder for luck and protection.
:wideeyed:

Have a great weekend.

PrintGoddess
March 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Angela Knight has a wonderful series of books called The Mageverse. Can you say HOT? Her vamps are all either knights or desendents of the knights of the Round Table. And their female counterparts are all witches also called mages or magi. I love that series. The woman knows romance and she writes great action in and out of the bedroom. Hubba hubba.

That sounds like something I'd try reading. I used to love Robert Taylor who played Sir Lancellot in that old timey Knights Of The Roundtable movie from the 40's. He also played Ivanhoe.

But what I am mostly concerned with is the story. By that I mean I'd like something more believable, better writing than what I have experienced in the romance novels I have read. As I complained above I don't like characters that are so powerful and such. It is unrealistic and BORING. I also do not need sex scene after sex scene.

I like some things that the romance novel style has and some things I really hate because they are quite silly.

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters Not sure if I read her or not. I read something called Dark Desire or something like that. The character was again something rather unbelievable and I got tired of all the sex.

I guess I want something that has both REAL writing and romance novel elements. Not sure how to explain that except romance novels have a rather silly formula, like the cozy mystery, and I think it is this formula that makes it hard writing a good story that doesn't seem very silly and immature. I like some of the romance elements but not the simplisticness, unbelievably powerful or beautiful characters, sex every other page, and lack of any real character or reasoning.

I'll try the authors you recommend.

Thank You

PrintGoddess
March 4th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Knight's books are not available I checked the library. I guess I could buy one. Any order I should read them? ISBN numbers?

I don't like digital art. Was just at her website and man do I hate digital. Yeah, that one piece of the white lady and the guy on the horse wasn't bad but digital art is really CREEEEEEPY unless done by a professional who knows anatomy and such.

Regina
March 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
You might also try Christine Feehan's Dark series. I find her worlds while imaginary to be so well researched that you get the feeling they could be real. And...they are romances....and the characters are definitely not perfect, she brings out all their flaws but in such a way you don't end up hating the characters. LOL

Regina
March 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM
And this boys and girls is why we love our Jenn! LOL Her quirky sense of humor is not to be missed! :-)

jennzilla
March 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
And this boys and girls is why we love our Jenn! LOL Her quirky sense of humor is not to be missed! :-)

You love me because I am insane and you pity me. *snorts*

While I personally love the digital art, some are put off by it. I'm quite sure that Knight's novels aren't in the libarary, unless they have an extensive paper back collection. If you went on her site though she has them listed in order under the Mageverse button. I do know they ain't cozy in any way shape form or fashion.

Maybe you should try the new Nora vampire series, while I haven't read it at all, I do know she writes well.

I also like Lori Handeland's Night Creature novels which aren't vamp either, but are wonderful romantic suspense with paranormal creatures all in there.

Regina
March 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Well Jenn...ah darn it, you caught me! LOL

I actually create digital art and love it as well. Not sure why but some people just don't like it. I personally think it depends on the experience of the artist. I've seen both good and bad in digital art, and I really think it just depends.

Megan Rose
March 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you've not been happy with the books that you've read. I've written a vampire story myself, but after looking at your list of disikes, it probably isn't the book for you.LOL. I think the books that have been recommended to you are the most popular vampire stories around. But do remember, that there are new authors appearing every week and I'm sure someone will come along who appeals to you. Please don't give up with this genre, its getting bigger and better every day. Good luck with your search.

jennzilla
March 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
While I like for romances to have sex in them (lots please if you can swing it, thanks), I like them emotion attached to the act. I read erotica for sex for the hell of it. LOL! I like both, but I want to know what I'm getting goin in, ya know? So, what vamp book did you write? You need to share!

Megan Rose
March 23rd, 2007, 02:57 AM
Well, there's a fair sprinkling of sex in my story. But a lot of tension too. The story is called Thirst for Revenge and is published by Silks Vault. My website holds reviews and excerpts. Thanks for asking about it. Its my first "baby", so I'm very proud of it.

Ravyn Reccio
March 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
:angel:

The Vampire stories that are there now each have a different perspective and feel of just how sensual they are. Yes alot of it has to do with sex which isnt a bad thing. Keep in mind in every vampire movie you see out there be it a male or female vamp they are very sexual in every aspect. You cant really have a vampire story unless you are writing it as horror. When I wrote Vampyric Dreams for MS , I should both aspects and went into the evil side as well. Bring out the demons the vamps have to deal with and his struggle. Maybe thats something that might interest you..

hskinn
April 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I'm not big into Laurell K. myself - I really like Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter (http://www.dark-hunter.com/) series, and Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark (http://www.kresleycole.com/lore.htm). Heck, I'll be ballsy and recommend my own title, Immortal Reveries (http://www.aphroditesapples.com/immortal_reveries.htm). I set out to write an unconventional vampire novel, and by all accounts, I succeeded.

Sela Carsen
April 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
:angel:
You cant really have a vampire story unless you are writing it as horror. When I wrote Vampyric Dreams for MS , I should both aspects and went into the evil side as well. Bring out the demons the vamps have to deal with and his struggle. Maybe thats something that might interest you..

I beg to differ! I'm a member of a group blog (http://paranormalauthors.blogspot.com/)and I recently posted about this very thing. To quote myself (because I'm lazy):

Anyone else ever wondered why a person who is gifted with immortality, superhuman strength, the ability to fly or shapeshift or basically bend the world to his will would get his panties in a bunch about never seeing sunlight? Or a flower?

Sounds like somebody needs a refill for his Prozac. See a mental health professional, buddy.

Or better yet, get a sense of humor.

Even vampires need a little light in their lives. :winkiss:

jennzilla
April 7th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I like both, actually. I like horror vamp stories and I like the funny ones. I think though, that people who love the funny vamp stories are people like me, who had the beejeezus scared outta them as kids. That scary black and white vamp movie, Nosferatu still gives me the heeby jeebies. I don't know if it's because he climbed up the dang wall like a spider or what, just eew!

I've blogged on the dang things before too.

Jenn's insane, you know (http://jennaleighsworld.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html)

I love them now tho, if they're like hawt and some junk. :wub:

Sela Carsen
April 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Dude. Nosferatu was bald -- and not in a sexy, Vin Diesel way -- and he had the world's weirdest set of fangs. I don't blame you for being creeped out.

Strangely enough, I do like some tortured vamps. Can we say Zsadist?

Hi, my name is Sela and I'm a JR Ward fangirl.

*Hi Sela!*

Aline de Chevigny
May 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Everyone enjoys something different about Vampire novels so you'll almost never find one that appeals to everyone. I have a series out, book 1 is at Silk's Vault called Blood Red that has gotten quite a few rave reviews.

:teacher: To find a paranormal you might enjoy, I suggest checking out some of the review sites. They usually break down the stories into very specific catagories. Or go to the Author's sites and read some excerpts.

Aline :biggrin:

Karenne
May 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
(shamless plug) What a great idea!:swoon:

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/Paranormal.html

Aline de Chevigny
May 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM
LOL sure make it easy for them hehe

Aline :biggrin:

Sapphire Phelan
May 10th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I have couple vampire romances, though not sure Crimson Promise is your traditional romance or even one in a way. The new one, His Girl, is kinda more romance. You would have to read both and decide on your own.
Actually as someone who writes horror as another name and had a horror vampire story published and another one, "Donating" accepted, though not sure if the editor will do the fourth magazine my story was going into, sounds more like you expecting horror in your romance. I agree, if you base your vamps (and I'm not just talking the European ones, but all over the world) on what is known in the myths and old stories than yeah, I had some problems with some of the romances. And anyone here interested in reading all the legends out there an author friend of mine, Teresa Bane
( http://www.theresabane.com/ ) has a super book out called The Actual Factual Dracula, A Compendium of Vampires. Check out her website.
But I did like the Anita Blake, even oh yes, she does look like her character and I see why the Mary Sue referrence here, series until she over did that sex with every partner. And yes, both my vamp romances are erotic. I actually think she took a very strong female character and made her wishy washy. And she dioes have a lot of vamp facts pretty straight in her books, guys.
If you want to check out mine, Crimson Promise (which is sci-fi paranormal) is from Lady Aibell Press. His Girl just came out last week and is published by Twilight Fantasies Publications. I don't know if you'll like them or not, but then we all have different tastes in what we want in our stories.

By the way, the vamp horror story is in Dark Gothic:Resurrected can be gotten at http://www.lulu.com/gratistavampires . It's the last link. Think of it as Night of the Living Dead, only with vampires. And Donating, if ever get out (I was paid for it--really good too) is about a vampire plasma machine. Both stories are by Pamela K. Kinney.

Sapphire Phelan

http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan
http://SapphirePhelansPassionCorner.blogspot.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SapphirePhelansParanormalNewsletter

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.

rgraham666
June 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
An opportunity to plug my work.

You should try my vampire anthology In The Dark (http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/paranormal/romance/in-the-dark/prod_42.html).

I've gotten a lot of nice feedback from my readers about it.

Karenne
June 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/images/uploads/InTheDark_72dpi.jpg

Georges Bellveau is a vampire. With great willpower he controls his urges to feed, keeping his blood lust under control. When he meets Diane Patterson love enters into his carefully balanced equation. Can he keep his condition a secret? And when another other worldly creature threatens to expose him by threatening DIane, will she be able to accept the truth?
Read an excerpt of In the Dark (http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/excerpt.php?prodId=42)

rgraham666
June 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks Karenne. :)

I forgot to note, Coffee Time Romance reviewed In The Dark. It was a good one too.

Thanks Cherokee.

Karenne
June 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
<TABLE height=101 cellSpacing=1 width=645 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=43><TABLE height=39 width=209 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=203>
http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/images/steamingcup.gifhttp://www.coffeetimeromance.com/images/steamingcup.gifhttp://www.coffeetimeromance.com/images/steamingcup.gifhttp://www.coffeetimeromance.com/images/steamingcup.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=14> </TD><TD class=bodyText vAlign=top align=left width=612>IN THE DARK
ROB GRAHAM
ISBN# 978-1-60168-027-3
Feb 2, 2007
Aspen Mountain Press
www.aspenmountainpress.com
E-Book
$5.49
189 Pages
Vampire Erotica
Rating: 4 Cups
Georges Belleveau knows about living in the dark. As a vampire, survival is important, especially when humans wish his kind dead.
Diane Patterson does not know Georges’ true identity until a demon threatens her existence and her whole life changes.
Georges lives a hidden life, one of darkness and running for safety. After meeting Diane there is a strong magnetism and lust that draws them closer. Diane shares his bed as they fall in love, but a sinister demon poses a threat. The hideous humanoid brings out the overpowering strength in Georges. Fortunately, Georges is able to break the barrier and stop the demon but other issues come his way as an assailant tries to kill Georges. David Duke is a menace. After being used in a program to create a destructive superman, David is trained to kill all white people, only allowing babies from black men to be born. He also deals in manufactured drugs to make women blackmail powerful people to help the cause. Georges follows David and locates the ‘Journal,’ and learns the whole organizational plan. Georges carries all the information inside his head and knows exactly where to locate David. He will stop the organization as he and Diane carry their love through an eternity of nights.
In The Dark carries the reader into a world of intense power, hate, sexual appetites, and killings. Rob Graham creates a tale where anything goes. He pens a colorful cast that are raw in their actions, whether sexual or through their slaughters. Diane and Georges show strength in their love as they fight the dark demon. David is one ominous character that I would not like to run into, whether day or night. This vampire tale has a way of keeping the reader on their toes.
Cherokee
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance
Reviewer for Karen Find Out About New Books

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lainey
June 2nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
I love it you two .. first Karenne puts Rob's book up then he says yeah we reviewed it and voila here comes the Review next... I LOVE IT... see what service and great people we have here.. we love you all ..

but vamps aside I love em and all sorts the good ones, the bad ones and the flawed ones that are not sure what they are or what they really want maybe except a little love and understanding ....haha..

Glad to have you here Rob though we need more guys here and thanks Karenne you are still the bestest ..... :notworthy:

Karenne
June 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
awww....flattery will get you everywhere!:wub:

rgraham666
June 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you again Karenne. :)

I still get a thrill when I see my covers and read my reviews. Such a nice feeling.

Nice to be here, Lainey.

Lainey
June 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Hey Rob I love having you here but now get Karenne to get you your own forum thread and you can start promoting yourself and your great books even easier ... we need more guys in here haha... am sure all you have to do is ask nicely and bring lots of chocolate and hmm is it dark chocy there Karenne I think or do you prefer a bit of a choice ... *smiles*

Lainey

Karenne
June 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Chocolate works (blinks innocently) :hellobaby:

TJ Michaels
June 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
(shamless plug) What a great idea!:swoon:

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/Paranormal.html

Hee Hee! Yep, this is a great place to find a vampire romance! Mine is listed in the April Coffee Time paranormal list. And it definitely qualifies as a different kind of vampire novel. A combination of biogenetics and hot sex makes up these vamps. I must admit, the bad guy is creepy. But the good guys'll make you wish vamps were real! Wooo!

It's called Carinian's Seeker, Vampire Council of Ethics, Book 1. Coffee Time gave it FOUR CUPS :punk:
http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/BookReviews/Cariniansseekerbook1.html

rgraham666
June 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Nice one, PrintGoddess.

Myself? I have two problems with vampires in fiction.

The first is that they are usually too human. They're usually just people with a lot of extra powers. The monster that the vampire actually is, is missing. The vampires in these stories never seem to struggle with the problems of vampirism.

How do they deal with immortality? It's difficult to retain a sense of perspective when everything fades from your existence. Even the cities you knew when you were alive bear little resemblance to what they are now. People and your relationships with them are as ephemeral as mayflies. How does this affect a vampire.

How do they deal with being a monster? With that supernatural part of themselves that likes pain, suffering, death, blood? Do they deny it? Accept it? Revel in it? Do they feel guilt when the vampire acts?

Without dealing with these questions a vampire is just a human being, a sort of super hero or supervillain.

The other problem goes the other way. The vampires are just too inhuman to be sympathetic as characters. I didn't much like Anne Rice's works for this reason. The only character I identified with was Marius. As a scholar struggling with his own issues of faith, I would though. ;)

I also agree with your take on the way the vampire mythos is changed, supposedly for 'dramatic purposes'. Often I can't help but roll my eyes.

In fairness, I tweaked the vampire mythos for my vampire stories. I took the fact that the vampire's body is dead to its logical conclusion.

So, although my vampires are a very seductive characters, they cannot show any of the unconscious physical reactions caused by passion. The males can't get erections, the women don't lubricate nor does their erectile tissue perform. They do have the emotions of the living, but their bodies are dead.

They can't laugh or cry either.

I thought it added a painful poignancy to my vamps.

OK, done promoting. ;)

Nice post, PrintGoddess.

TJ Michaels
June 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Nice one, PrintGoddess.

How do they deal with being a monster? With that supernatural part of themselves that likes pain, suffering, death, blood? Do they deny it? Accept it? Revel in it? Do they feel guilt when the vampire acts?

I actually like my vampires to have a sense of huminity. The whole monster thing turns me off in a romance. What woman in her right mind would want someone who thought of himself as a monster? So, I'm a bit more on the mushy side of vampires.

I prefer the "Blade" character of vampires, or the Susan Sizemore types where the good guy vampires want to hunt down the bad guy vamps. Also, the Blade-type characters has "all their strengths, none of their weaknesses, except for the thirtst." Works for me.

When I want the monster stuff, I read horror - though I must admit my bad guy vamps are pretty...well, bad. Awful, in fact. Most folks who read them tell me they couldn't wait for them to 'get theirs' in the end. LOL!

NJ Walters also writes some pretty good vamps - they do have a darker feel to them that works because they find redemption...but don't want to post any spoilers here so I'll hush now.

jennzilla
June 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
I like to contrast them. The really bad vamp/were and the good vamp/were. You can show the differences of how one copes with his abilities or works around them and retains his humanity. How the other uses them to get what he wants out of life by hurting others with his superior strength.

TJ Michaels
June 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
I like to contrast them. The really bad vamp/were and the good vamp/were. You can show the differences of how one copes with his abilities or works around them and retains his humanity. How the other uses them to get what he wants out of life by hurting others with his superior strength.

YES!! That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Hey, are we related by any chance? :lol:

jennzilla
June 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
No, just both relatively insane. :lol:

rgraham666
June 3rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
I actually like my vampires to have a sense of huminity. The whole monster thing turns me off in a romance. What woman in her right mind would want someone who thought of himself as a monster? So, I'm a bit more on the mushy side of vampires.

I prefer the "Blade" character of vampires, or the Susan Sizemore types where the good guy vampires want to hunt down the bad guy vamps. Also, the Blade-type characters has "all their strengths, none of their weaknesses, except for the thirtst." Works for me.

When I want the monster stuff, I read horror - though I must admit my bad guy vamps are pretty...well, bad. Awful, in fact. Most folks who read them tell me they couldn't wait for them to 'get theirs' in the end. LOL!

NJ Walters also writes some pretty good vamps - they do have a darker feel to them that works because they find redemption...but don't want to post any spoilers here so I'll hush now.

My main vampire, Georges Belleveau is both, man and monster.

Actually, I use him to explore humanity. I have a very existentialist viewpoint.

“And one thing I will explain is that things won’t be that different. Humans have dark drives as well. Many fall to them, revel in them. But we and they have the same free will. We don’t have to act as the monsters in us dictate.” I emphasize the ‘have’. “We can be restrained, careful, even good. It is our choice. It’s always our choice.”

That's from In The Dark.

You might have a problem with Georges. There's a couple of times when his dark nature takes over completely. What happens isn't pretty.

Still damn good stories though. And very romantic in places. ;)

mechele armstrong
June 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
TJ and Jennzilla, separated at birth...Hmmm should I be scared? *Grins and hands Jenn some chocy*

Since everyone is shamelessly plugging, I do have a vampire series as well. Blood Lines. New book coming out today :), Blood Lines 4: Night's Journey! I think they balance the angst of being a monster against the humanity still left inside. There are recurring characters but while best understood read in order (i.e. you understand dynamics), they don't have to be. CR has reviewed, Blood Lines: Blood Kiss, Conduit and Crimson's Rose.

maura
June 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I loved that movie, but I had to watch it with my little sister who would have nightmares, so I had to find the funny stuff. Did you ever notice(and I know I am dating myself) that he wandered around London with his coffin under his arm like the old Wrigley's Spearmint gum commercials. Maribeth couldn't stop laughing at that, and I got to see the whole movie without worrying about my mother gettting mad when she had nightmares.

Maura

Dude. Nosferatu was bald -- and not in a sexy, Vin Diesel way -- and he had the world's weirdest set of fangs. I don't blame you for being creeped out.

Strangely enough, I do like some tortured vamps. Can we say Zsadist?

Hi, my name is Sela and I'm a JR Ward fangirl.

*Hi Sela!*

TJ Michaels
June 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
TJ and Jennzilla, separated at birth...Hmmm should I be scared?

Be afraid...be VERY afraid! Mwaahaha!

And Mechele's Blood books are awesome! The first one I read was Blood Kiss. Man, talk about showing what someone chooses to do with their humanity! The characters had great contrasts - two vamps, some of the same struggles, but two different roads by choice.

Good stuff! Even better with a box of Godiva...:tt2:

Sapphire Phelan
June 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Crimson Promise--the vamps are monsters and people too. Though one is undead, the other is alive, changed eons ago, and alien. In His Girl the vampire hates what she was forced to become and the nasty vampire who made her is all monster.
I write horror too, as Pamela K. Kinney, and have one horror story (kinda night of the living dead with vampires), "Warm Blood, Cold Flesh" in Dark Gothic: Resurrected. That zine can be gotten at http://www.lulu.com/gratistavampires . I also had a story about a vampire plasma machine for Inhuman Magazine #4, and was paid for it too, but heard the editor and publisher had gotten badly ill and #3 is the latest that came out and that was las year. Have to email him about "Donating" and see what's up.
Sapphire Phelan
www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.

Lainey
June 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I definitely want to check out your work Rob ... I love both good and bad of the vamp/were bit like Jennzilla and TJ but separated at birth OH MY that would be baaaad 2 of you hahaha... just kidding I love our Jenn and you are great too TJ.

All of these books sound great dang I need to get more money to buy them all and Rob I definitely want yours too I like the diversity of them all.

Lainey

jennzilla
June 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
TJ and Jennzilla, separated at birth...Hmmm should I be scared? *Grins and hands Jenn some chocy*

Since everyone is shamelessly plugging, I do have a vampire series as well. Blood Lines. New book coming out today :), Blood Lines 4: Night's Journey! I think they balance the angst of being a monster against the humanity still left inside. There are recurring characters but while best understood read in order (i.e. you understand dynamics), they don't have to be. CR has reviewed, Blood Lines: Blood Kiss, Conduit and Crimson's Rose.

Plug away Mechele!!
I've always found it almost impossible to make anyone, even my bad guys all bad. I'd rather just make them real. To themselves, they have the best possible motives for doing what they do, exploring it, mining it, and finding it out is the key. Heck, I've had a bad guy and a good guy in the same body before. While strange and twisted, it worked, at least, I hope so.

Regina
June 6th, 2007, 11:29 PM
If you want a vampire romance with some teeth, I've got just the one for you! I've gotten tired of some of the stuff coming out in the vampire romance genre as well, and boy was I surprised when I read Damnation by Nathalie Gray. This book doesn't sugar coat vampirism at all which I really liked, and the heroine is a real kick-ass gal as well. It is well worth the reading. I reviewed it for CTR and gave it 5 cups.

Let me know what you think if you decide to check it out. :-)

Flesa Black
June 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I find that Vampire novels are all a matter of personal taste. Some enjoy the total tortured soul, others like it to be a bit lighter. For me, it depends on my mood. lol

I started another thread about this, but I'll mention it here. The first vamp book I read (I was in college...so niave...) was "I, Vampire" by Mike Romkey. Let me tell you, I loved it! I tried reading others, but after his, I kept comparing them. A few years ago I went back to reread it, thinking that it might not be as good now that I've read so many other paranormal books. It was even better the next time 'round! It's definitely romance, though it's written in the male perspecitve. It's not heavy, heavy romance, but romance is most definitely the motivation for everything in it. The cast of characters...amazing and shocking. The whole experience of changing from human to vampire is outlined and dealt with quite nicely, and the introduction of a whole 'invisible' sub-cultural is just astounding. I highly, I highly recommend it!

And since we're plugging work...LOL I have a paranormal series out, and the first one involves a vamp. It might not be your cup of tea, but I'll tell you it involves good and bad vamps, witches, and even lycans. If you'd like to check it out, here's my site: www.flesablack.com (http://www.flesablack.com)

Oh, and Mechele...I get to read her stuff before anyone else. And I love it! :D

A.E. Rought
June 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm going to stick my neck waaaayyy out here (hold the fangs, please!) and say that there are up-and-coming authors who have some damned good stuff vampire stuff coming. I'm still working on getting a publisher for my vampire series, but it's already got a rave review from Kat Martin herself :)

Dewdrop
June 25th, 2007, 04:26 AM
The Keep and Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson are both very good and very different vampire books IMO. They are not related to one another either.

You Suck, A Love Story by Christopher Moore

Sisters of the Night : The Angry Angel by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. There is a sequel which is good as well. Each of them go through the rather epic story of how a girl becomes "a bride of Dracula." This also qualifies as historical fiction btw.

Fat White Vampire Blues by Andrew Fox.

A Chill In the Blood and other Jack Flemming books in the series by P.N. Elrod

Interview With A Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice.

Guilty Pleasures and other Anita Blake books by Laurell K. Hamilton

Blood Price and other books in that series by Tanya Huff

The Sookie Stackhouse Series, the first one is titled, Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

The Queen Betsy series by Mary Janice Davidson's. It starts off with Undead and Unwed.

There is much more but that's what I've come up with just off the top of my head atm.

K.Z. Snow
August 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Man, I so hate doing this. I mean it. It always makes me feel more than a little squicky to recommend one of my own books. But I'll toss it on the table, anyway, and you can ignore it if you choose. Plagued is an Ellora's Cave novel that--yes--contains romance and--yes--contains quite explicit sex. But I believe the story's style, characters, and historical detail distinguish it somewhat from current vampire fiction. You can look at the cover and read a blurb and excerpt for free...meaning, obviously, there's no financial risk involved and only a small investment of time. Here's the link: http://www.ellorascave.com/productpage.asp?ISBN=9781419911583 . I also have a good portion of the Prologue posted in my blog at MySpace; it establishes the plot's 14th-century connection.

Ducking now,
K. Z. Snow
www.myspace.com/kzsnow (http://www.myspace.com/kzsnow)

Karenne
August 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM
No way! You have to tell us..you are going to have the best information on your own book! (wink)

thanks K.Z.

K.Z. Snow
August 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Karenne,

You are being such a smartass today :scooter:. (Now don't ask me why I picked this Smilie; it just for some reason reminded me of you!)

Honestly, though, jumping at casual opportunities to toot my own horn has always made me uncomfortable--a definite drawback in the densely populated world of romance, whether vampire-related or not. I just hope people find my books, like them, and maybe remember my name. I only mentioned Plagued because it's a bit of a departure from the norm.

Oh, and by the way...I've had trouble getting into some LKH books, too. As for Anne Rice? I think Interview was an absolutely brilliant, breakthrough novel. I really lost myself in it. However, her subsequent Vampire Chronicles books seemed to slide, story by story, into a bog of overblown characters and hard-to-care-about situations. Her rant against critical readers didn't help, either. (Uh...seems to me LKH has done that, as well. Not cool.)

K. Z.

rgraham666
August 10th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I read a rather good one recently. Sunshine (http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Robin-McKinley/dp/0515138819/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-8372168-5483629?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186794482&sr=8-1) by Robin McKinley.

I read it because one of my readers said I wrote like her. I now realize that is a tremendous compliment.

Karenne
August 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Karenne,

You are being such a smartass today :scooter:. (Now don't ask me why I picked this Smilie; it just for some reason reminded me of you!)

K. Z.

giggles...thank you! :innocent:

Constance
August 12th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Hey everyone my first post here. Just wanted to say that I read JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood and love the books. If anyone is still interested in a good vampire romance book.

Dani
August 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Welcome Constance!! Glad you found CTR and hope you have fun here. :whoohoo:

Thanks for the recomendation. I have heard from a couple of other people that they were good, but I like to get quite a few opinions. :biggrin:

Karenne
August 12th, 2007, 12:53 AM
waves to Constance. I am so glad you joined our Forum Family!

look forward to seeing and hearing more about you!:teacher:

jennzilla
August 12th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Karenne,

Oh, and by the way...I've had trouble getting into some LKH books, too. As for Anne Rice? I think Interview was an absolutely brilliant, breakthrough novel. I really lost myself in it. However, her subsequent Vampire Chronicles books seemed to slide, story by story, into a bog of overblown characters and hard-to-care-about situations. Her rant against critical readers didn't help, either. (Uh...seems to me LKH has done that, as well. Not cool.)

K. Z.

I'm okay with readers criticizing the work, not the author, personally. I think some of LKH's problems were with that. However, she did get a little miffed about that very thing in her blog at least once that I read.

I just thought, hey, they bought the book already, let em bitch all they want, laugh it off and cash that fat check, woman! I know it's hard, but she should look at it like this; readers are so heavily invested in and emotionally involved with her characters, that's why they buy her books. It's also why they feel like they have a right to bitch and raise hell, it's a double edged sword. At least they care, she should be flattered.

Anne Rice made me actually like.. no love vampires. Before that I was just terrified of them, now I'm sort of addicted. I'll always love her for that. However, she needed to keep this fact in mind. Authors need editors.

Oh and toot your horn so people will bitch about your characters too.

:lol:

Dani
August 12th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I agree with you Jennzilla! I love Anne Rice and her vamps made me love vamps too. I know that she can be difficult to read sometimes, but that's her and I don't mind at all.

jennzilla
August 12th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I'd say she was crazy but since she's a southerner and an author, she qualifies as eccentric. *pauses* Hey!! Wait a minute, I do too!
:helloooo:
I wonder if I can get a check for that? Hmm.

Dani
August 12th, 2007, 02:12 AM
That would be nice. I'm southern, but not an author, so I can't be considered eccentric. :lol:

jennzilla
August 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Nah crazy and southern counts. I'm kin to a bunch of 'em but they don't stay in the attic like they're spose'sta. If you get a check, though, let me know.

Dani
August 13th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Will do. If I get a check for being crazy I'll be shocked outta my mind. :lol:

Lynda Hilburn
August 15th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm just very excited about all the wonderful vampire books that are available now (and in the near future).

I'm a character writer/reader, and have been a vampire fan since I was a kid. I love good stories with interesting characters, whether they're romance or horror. I still re-read Bram Stoker's Dracula regularly.

Laurell K. Hamilton's Jean-Claude is still one of my favorite bloodsuckers. I think she's done an excellent job with him.

Charlaine Harris's Sookie books are wonderful.

Robin McKinley's Sunshine is so well done, I wish she'd write a sequel.

Elaine Bergstrom, Mick Farren, and PN Elrod have good vamp series.

I recently read the YA series by Stephenie Meyer and loved it. Her young lovers are well written.

And then there's Anne Rice, who still holds a special place in my heart and on my bookshelf.

So many vamp books, so little time!

Lynda

Sharon_Cullen
August 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM
JR Ward is hands down my favorite author. And probably one of the best writers around. If you're looking for a good vamp romance, reader Ward. But make sure you have a good block of time set aside because if you're like me, you won't want to put it down.

Anna Fallon
August 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Don't you lot dare forget Vamptations at Midnight Showcase. This digest has some very different takes on vamps, from dark to inter-stellar.

It features best selling author Michael Barnette and it really is very different, sex...yes, romance....yes...but quite different, and good way to test out new authors to you.

I'll shamelessly plug it! LOL go here for excerpts
http://www.midnightshowcase.com/Vamptations.htm

http://midnightshowcase.com/images/Vamptations%20Reissue.jpg (http://www.midnightshowcase.com/Vamptations.htm)

Dani
August 28th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Awsome Anna! Thanks again for all the suggestions and plug away! :biggrin:

orangeengr85
August 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM
ooooh, i hadn't wandered into this thread, or if i did i forgot. :lol:

when i get some $$ i'm going to come back to it to make a shopping list. :biggrin:

i just recently discovered JR Ward, and I must say that i'm enjoying them. i just wish they were cheaper on eBay
*sighs at being a poor college student*

*Sarah*
September 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I just got done readin Blood Red.... it's a good book and hubby likes it too. I would read it if I were u

*Sarah*
September 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM
orangee--

I noticed ur avd. have u read wicked? I loved it but I hated son of a witch, it didnt make sense

Aline de Chevigny
September 6th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I just got done readin Blood Red.... it's a good book and hubby likes it too. I would read it if I were u

Hey Sarah,

Was it my Blood Red you're talking about? Cause I believe there are several books out with that title.

Aline

DavidsGirl841444
September 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Must try these books as well so many of them vamp books rule.

maura
October 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I agree Jenn, I like the funny and the serious ones. About Nosferatu, I was scared the first time I saw it , very young. The next time I was about twelve and I couldn't stop laughing about the way he strolled around London with his coffin(which he couldn't possibly fit in) under his arm like in the Wrigley's Spearmint commercials. Funny how your perspective can change!

Maura

maura
October 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Plug away Mechele!!
I've always found it almost impossible to make anyone, even my bad guys all bad. I'd rather just make them real. To themselves, they have the best possible motives for doing what they do, exploring it, mining it, and finding it out is the key. Heck, I've had a bad guy and a good guy in the same body before. While strange and twisted, it worked, at least, I hope so.

Definitely a good series to read!

maura
October 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Karenne,

Honestly, though, jumping at casual opportunities to toot my own horn has always made me uncomfortable--a definite drawback in the densely populated world of romance, whether vampire-related or not. I just hope people find my books, like them, and maybe remember my name. I only mentioned Plagued because it's a bit of a departure from the norm.

K. Z.

Though I also love the serious, as time goes by some authors start to take themselves too seriously, but there is so much to choose from now, I can wait until they lighten up and write with less ego.

Moe

DavidsGirl841444
October 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
So with you there moe some authors are like I can write however no matter the way the books is ment to be so then you wait till it gets back to the way you loved them before.

Aline de Chevigny
October 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
LOL Well I'd like to think that my Vamp Series is awesome LOL and not too over the top. But I guess I'll have to wait to get some feed back on them.

The first one is out on October 19th at Aspen Mountain Press (http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/) it's called Chronicles of the Cursed: Blood Red

http://bp2.blogger.com/_-uteqVa2rsw/RxP7wKgZ3XI/AAAAAAAAARs/ERRSxSDh0-Q/s320/Blood+Red+Cover.jpg

Here's a little blurba nd excerpt for your enjoyement.

Blurb:
Having gained power over the houses, and enforced the laws that kept both his kind and the humans safe. Mikael wanted nothing more than a little something for himself. He wanted love... he wanted Annabella Micelli. His one weakness.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Annabella, was trying desperately to keep her relationship with Mikael strictly business. But the damn man called her to him like a moth to a flame. She knew to answer that call would burn her and she just didn’t care. Will she give in to his call?<o:p></o:p>

Excerpt :

Forever was a lot longer than he thought it would be when his Sire had proposed the change. He had made it sound enticing. He’d said the days would be filled with adoration and the nigh with loving. He’d lied!

The first hundred years had been exciting and more enriching than anything he’d ever experienced. Taking beautiful young maidens full of life and ravishing them before feeding off their milky white throats. Always feeding off the Nobility’s daughters, payback for the way they shunned and mocked him when he’d still been alive. Now they came to him willingly, offering him what he could easily take by force. Pitiful creatures. He hated them.

Over the centuries he’d become more feared then Dracula himself, all because he wasn’t afraid to die. Despite everything he now had, the power, the fame and the money, he still lacked one thing. True Love. Five hundred years of searching, traveling the world over and finding nothing had left him jaded, cross and bored. Those emotions made him dangerous and deadly. He hadn’t earned the name Cerberus Gnosis, the knowledgeable dog of Hell by being nice.

Mikael De Wohlf was aware that he scared people. They weren’t sure what to make of him and therefore they were frightened of him. With a Russian father and a Greek mother, his blond haired, and teal colored eyes tended to get him all the female attention he wished. Any woman but her and she was the one he desired. The one he’d searched for all these years!

Annabella Micelli knew who he truly was. She was among the elite of the human race with the knowledge of his kind, the knowledge of the undead. Her acute awareness of his past actions, his reputations as a vile, ruthless demon without a conscience disgusted her. She didn’t approve of his tactics, or the fact that he used his vast knowledge, painfully gained throughout the centuries, to ascertain the downfall of his enemies and their progeny at any cost.

Yet he couldn’t kill her like he had all others who disapproved of him. Like he had his Sire for the lies he’d told him. She had a hold over him, over that thing that was once his heart. Her mere presence soothed him, her aura washed over him like a calming breeze. With her around many escaped his anger and their deaths. For that reason alone she willingly served as his secretary, nay personal assistant.

Mikael smiled, his fangs gleaming as he remembered her defiant stance the day he demanded she leave his office so he could deal with the traitor his own way. Her angry refusal, and narrowed eyes as she stood in his way, blocking the path to his victim. His desire for her body overwhelming his desire for blood was the only reason he agreed to allow the traitor to live in exchange for her services.

Bella glared at him, disgust filing her features at his request. He knew then, that he had her. He could take her body if he asked; she wouldn’t refuse him. It was there in her face, but he wanted more. He wanted her to come to him willingly. He wanted her to desire him as much as he desired her, if not more. He wanted her forever.

With a predatory grin, he let his fangs extend. His personal mark of truth and offered her the position of being his personal assistant. He offered her the responsibilities and authority of managing his companies while he slept. A great honor that until now had never been bestowed upon a female. Her surprised acceptance pleased him more than he was willing to admit. But damn the woman, she still refused his advances. “Soon my Bella, soon you’ll be mine.”

rgraham666
October 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds great, Aline. :)

Aline de Chevigny
October 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks Rob, I sooo can't wait till friday LOL
I'm such a big kid when it comes to release day LOl

Aline :whoohoo:

Sapphire Phelan
November 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Congrads--it sounds great!
Sapphire Phelan

DavidsGirl841444
November 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah wonderful hot and steamy. My fav.

Aline de Chevigny
November 8th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Congrads--it sounds great!
Sapphire Phelan

Thanks Sapphire, I love this book.

Aline:biggrin:

Aline de Chevigny
November 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah wonderful hot and steamy. My fav.

Thanks Davis Girl.
Mikael is definitely hot LOL

Aline :notworthy:

DavidsGirl841444
November 9th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Your welcome and yeah he is.

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Wow Blood Red sounds great. I'm looking forward to getting around to reading it.

Aline de Chevigny
November 11th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Wow Blood Red sounds great. I'm looking forward to getting around to reading it.

Thanks Charmed, I hope youlike it as much as I do.

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Aline, if Bec has any sence at all in her brain (and I know she does) she'll love it! :roflmao:

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Well I have a lot of sense...I love all the books I've read lately and I can't wait to get my bookpile down from 30 books to 0...it's going to take about 2 weeks to get it down to about 15 maybe less time if I'm lucky but then it's going to take another 2 weeks to get it down to 0. I better not buy anymore books until that bookpile is down to 0. LOL

Knowing me I'll find new books to read at the bookstore and end up buying them even though I've said I wouldn't so my bookpile is at 0.

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I know you do cause you've liked everything that I've suggested to you and I've suggested Aline's books to you before, so you should like them too! :biggrin:

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I've just got to get around to finding them at a bookstore or ordering them online. LOL

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 02:31 AM
They're e-books right now Bec.

Aline, do you know if your books will be put in print at all?

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Dang well hopefully they'll come out in paperback cause I'm not a fan of ebooks. I like having a book in my hand to read. If I try to read ebooks I end up with a headache which ends up turning into a migraine.

Aline de Chevigny
November 11th, 2007, 02:40 AM
LOL You two are making me dizzy.

I have no idea if they'll be going print. I've been told yes, but as to when that is up to my publishers.
I hope it's soon LOL, but so does every other author I know.

I promise when I know you'll know :biggrin: I love sharing good news. Right Dani hehe

Aline

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Sorry for making you dizzy.

It's always good to hear good news. LOL

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Sorry for making you dizzy! It's not intentional, honest, but when Bec and I get to posting there's no stopping us. :lol:

Thanks for answering my question (I also ended up posting it in your forum too just incase you didn't see this one). I can wait until I see that post pop up! I'll be celebrating for you!! Cheerleader

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 02:44 AM
We're posting demons and we don't mean to make you dizzy but we love posting and it's even better posting when the posts are funny. LOL

Aline de Chevigny
November 11th, 2007, 02:46 AM
LMAO it's a good dizzy, and I'm hoping that when I have books 1-4 out they'll be considered for print release.

Aline:lol:

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Well trust me, we'll make you dizzy the other way too if you watch our posting back and forth too much. :lol:

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 02:50 AM
:whoohoo: as long as it's a good dizzy then. Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that they go to print :notworthy:

Aline de Chevigny
November 11th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Thanks Charmed, I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed hehehe

Makes typing a little difficult but worth it if it works LOL

Aline :leph:

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Cross eyed while typing...ummm that's not good but if it works for getting the books into print then it's good. LOL

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Dang woman. You need to uncross your eyes at least otherwise you won't be able to write. And we wouldn't want that at all.

Let us cross fingers and toes and things for you instead! :)

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 03:08 AM
We want you to be able to write because we can't wait for more new stories.

Aline de Chevigny
November 11th, 2007, 03:08 AM
LOL I'm not sure I can type with uncrossed eyes anymore hehee
But I'll try, that might help me to type faster.

Aline :huh:

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 03:10 AM
You can do it...I know you can. :biggrin:

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 03:15 AM
You can do it...that is one of the best lines in Adam Sandlers films. LOL

Dani
November 11th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Rob Schnider kept saying that in The Waterboy. I've watched that movie wayyyyyy to much, but a friend of mine played a cheerleader in it, so what can I say. :biggrin:

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I loved the movie The Waterboy. I've watched that movie a lot as well. LOL

DavidsGirl841444
November 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Waterboy cute movie funny. But I don't know can you type with your toes I find that kind of hard.

jennzilla
November 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hubby's fave line is: "She showed me her boobies and I liked them too."
:dots:

Aline de Chevigny
November 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Waterboy cute movie funny. But I don't know can you type with your toes I find that kind of hard.

Lots of practice hehehee

Aline :lol:

CharmedGirl
November 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
It would take a lot of practice to be able to successfully type with your toes. LOL

Dani
November 12th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Lots of practice hehehee

Why would you need to type with your toes or should I be asking what are you doing with your hands that you need to type with your toes? :whistling:

CharmedGirl
November 12th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Ummm there are some really clever things you can do with your hands. LOL

Aline de Chevigny
November 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM
So I can hand write a second novel of course LOL

Aline :tt2:

Dani
November 12th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Uh huh! :lol:

CharmedGirl
November 12th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Well that's one way of being able to write two novels at the same time.

While you're typing with your toes, you can handwrite a second book...that is just very clever. LOL

DavidsGirl841444
November 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Whoa I think that would be both gross and cool at the same time.

marijam
November 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Yes, I recommend those Brotherhood of the Black Dagger books. They are awesome. I also recommend the Riley Jensen series of books by Keri Arthur.

CharmedGirl
November 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Well a few of us here would recommend the Riley Jensen series from Keri Arthur. LOL

Dani
November 17th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Oh yeah, quite a few of us would reccomend them. Riley is one of my favorite series to read.:whoohoo:

CharmedGirl
November 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Oh yeah we're going to start the countdown soon to when Riley 6 - The Darkest Kiss is released. It's being released on April 29th which is what I read. LOL

DavidsGirl841444
November 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah but the countdown would make me just be anticipating it and wanting them now but that is still a great idea.

CharmedGirl
November 20th, 2007, 08:49 PM
We all want new books in a series earlier than they're due out but it just never happens. LOL

DavidsGirl841444
November 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM
I know you look up and there is theis intresting book you read and it sounds great but it number 3 or 4 and then they don't have 1 or 2 anywhere inthe vicnity of where you live and you ave to wait to order it online or till they get more pisses me off.

ConnieL
January 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Have you tried Lynsay Sands?

She has an interesting take on the vampire mythos.

Well-written and comedic. :notworthy:

DavidsGirl841444
January 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM
What do you mean intrestnig take?

ConnieL
January 26th, 2008, 12:33 PM
What do you mean intrestnig take?

Well, they're not soulless and cursed and they actually prefer being called immortals.

They're from Atlantis (very, very advanced civilization over two thousand years ago) where scientists had developed nanos (little robots) which were injected into a body to repair damage and disease. They were supposed to shut down when finished but since people age and suffer damage from the sun's rays, the nanos kept on working because they continually have a job to do.

Since they use blood to repair the damage and replicate, a body can't provide enough on its own. Hence the need for other people's blood. The nanos forced mutations to help get the blood; they enhanced night vision, speed, strength and developed the fangs, etc.

They prefer not going out during the day because sun causes damage which the nanos immediately start to repair causing more need for blood. The vampire suffers pain and cramping when he/she doesn't get enough blood.

They're required by immortal law to used bagged blood although there are some exceptions. In fact, according to Lynsay Sands it was these immortals who developed blood banks in the first place. :)

DavidsGirl841444
January 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I like the sound of that a bit technical for me but still sounds fun I mean are there hot guys?

ConnieL
January 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I like the sound of that a bit technical for me but still sounds fun I mean are there hot guys?

Definitely hot guys! Generally ranging in age from about 200 - 2000+ !

So far there's been a psychologist (started out mortal, the heroine was the vampire), an author, the CEO of a company, an actor, an Enforcer (sort of an immortal version of a cop), a video game developer, and a member of the (immortal) council who was actually born in Atlantis before it fell. A very nice variety, in my opinion! :biggrin:

Dani
January 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I got the 7th book in the series and didn't realize it was a series, so this past weekend I got the first book to start reading soon. The newest book is out at Walmart, but it's not in the major bookstores yet, so I decided not to get it because I'd rather buy it when it will count towards her getting on the best sellers list (and because I'm just getting started with it...LOL).

DavidsGirl841444
January 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Whoa let me know when it all gets to barnes and noble so i can get it.

ConnieL
January 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I got the 7th book in the series and didn't realize it was a series, so this past weekend I got the first book to start reading soon. The newest book is out at Walmart, but it's not in the major bookstores yet, so I decided not to get it because I'd rather buy it when it will count towards her getting on the best sellers list (and because I'm just getting started with it...LOL).

The first book in the series was not actually published first! Single White Vampire was published first but Lissiana's story (with the psychologist) was actually the first in the series. Apparently the publishers wanted to publisher the three Argeneau brothers' stories first.

If you haven't been to her website, Lynsay gives the chronological order of the stories. www.lynsaysands.net (http://www.lynsaysands.net)

I discovered the very first one published when it was originally published so I've read them out of order. Didn't make too much of a difference for me but some people might prefer chronological. :)

Dani
January 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
That's where I went and found out that the book I have was the 7th one and found out which ones I needed to read first.

CharmedGirl
January 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I've just read the first three Jeanne Stein novels about a female bounty hunter (Anna Strong) who is chasing down a criminal to put him back behind bars and he turns her into a vampire. They are really good.

The Becoming is the first novel, Blood Drive the second novel and The Watcher the third novel.

ConnieL
January 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
That's where I went and found out that the book I have was the 7th one and found out which ones I needed to read first.

Enjoy! You're in for a real treat. :)

Are the Anne Strong books really dark? I've got them on my wish list but I do prefer lighter books in general.

I suppose that makes paranormal books an odd choice but there are quite a few out there.

CharmedGirl
January 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
They're not real dark but she does get really badly attacked when the guy turns her into a vampire.

Teresa D'Amario
January 28th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I'm not so much into the "Funny" vampire books, but there are two series I do enjoy. Yes, Lynsay Sands is one of them. The other is Nina Bangs. Both are hilarious and make me laugh. But mostly when I read paranormal, I want the dark and edgy stuff. Not a big LKH fan, but mostly because I like romance, and I don't consider her stuff romance. There's no "Happily ever after" in those books. So they aren't for me. No insult to the author, just not my thing. The same goes for other series of the same style.

Now I like the Christine Feehan stuff, and I like JR Wards's, and I like alot of others (mind just went blank).

I prefer shifters and demons to vampires though. Vampires are "good", but if I had my "druthers", I'd be more into shifters and demons. there are less shifters out there then I like, and demons, well those are growling by leaps and bounds. :)

ConnieL
January 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Now I like the Christine Feehan stuff, and I like JR Wards's, and I like alot of others (mind just went blank).

I prefer shifters and demons to vampires though. Vampires are "good", but if I had my "druthers", I'd be more into shifters and demons. there are less shifters out there then I like, and demons, well those are growling by leaps and bounds. :)

I've only read one Christine Feehan and thought it was pretty good. I'd read them from the library but not buy them to keep though.

I'd forgotten about J.R. Ward! I read the first two, must see what's out there.

Never read Nina Bangs but maybe I should give her a try.

Lover Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark/Dream Hunter series.

And I'm a fan of Katie MacAlister too. She has a vampire series, and two dragon series. I love dragons! :tt1:

Dani
January 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Connie, I love Katie MacAlister's dragons. Aisling is hilarious and Drake is oh so hot!! I like Gabriel too and am very happy that she's writing a series about the Silver Dragons. Bouncy Icon Smilie

DavidsGirl841444
January 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm not so much into the "Funny" vampire books, but there are two series I do enjoy. Yes, Lynsay Sands is one of them. The other is Nina Bangs. Both are hilarious and make me laugh. But mostly when I read paranormal, I want the dark and edgy stuff. Not a big LKH fan, but mostly because I like romance, and I don't consider her stuff romance. There's no "Happily ever after" in those books. So they aren't for me. No insult to the author, just not my thing. The same goes for other series of the same style.

Nina Bangs, and Anne Strong got to add them to the list love dark and light books even though dark is my prefence, LKH yeah with you there they are ok not my fav but read them cause I started it and want to know where it ends up at.

More A vamp girl demons don't get so much and shifters are cool. But I guess that what started me on this paranormal ride vamps.:devil:

CharmedGirl
January 30th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Nina Bangs is really good. I've read the three wicked books.

Anna Strong series is really good and I'm getting Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost so I'll let you know what that book is like when I've read it.

DavidsGirl841444
January 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Thats so sweet thanks Charmed girl.

CharmedGirl
January 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Thats so sweet thanks Charmed girl.

You're welcome DG. I love giving my opinion about books I either like or don't like. LOL :turned:

DavidsGirl841444
January 31st, 2008, 12:27 AM
Great added it to the list with there books great made i longer. going to buy them soon

Patrizia
February 2nd, 2008, 06:15 AM
This thread is so long I admit I jumped to the end. I think this is my first post here, too. I love talking paranormal books.

Anyway, I wanted to mention Kimberley Raye if her name hasn't already been put out there. She's got a new series, three books out so far, involving vampires--light and funny. This is a continuing series, so the heroine is the main character in each book. She has a yummy romantic interest but there's a bit of an obstacle in their getting together. I'm waiting for book four.

hollie
February 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I love:JR Wards brotherhood books (but i still havn't got the last one) Christine Feehan's Carpathions, Tanya Huff's Blood Series LKH is ok but i like Merry more than Anita (Richard went to far past childish) LA Banks vampire huntress can't think of any more vamp books off the top of my head (which means i've probably got loads)

DavidsGirl841444
February 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
From what I hear those are great picks hollie

hollie
February 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
always happy to try and help

Patrizia
February 4th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Christine Feehan is definitely a favorite--all her series. On the vampire or Carpathian front, though I'm looking forward to reading Dark Possession when it comes out in paperback, I'm really anxious to get my hands on her next Dark novel. From the blurb she put up on her website, it looks like she's tying up a few threads she introduced a couple of books earlier. (Meanwhile I'm happily waiting for CF's Predator's Game to be released at the end of this month--not vampire, but a very cool series).

hollie
February 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
i've only read her Carpathions haven't read the others yet but i will get there.

DavidsGirl841444
February 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Have skimmed some of those Carpathions and sound hotter evvery time. But there are so many of them.

hollie
February 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
i thought that but Amazon had some of them on half prise so i got them for my birthday from the kids

DavidsGirl841444
February 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Aww your kids are so sweet for doing that hopfully you gave them a big hug for that.

hollie
February 4th, 2008, 05:22 PM
it is sweet but i got a girl and 3 boys so mainly its
child 1 "mum likes book"
child 2 "dad how much can she spend"
child 3 " mum you can spend ......"
and Jojo tops it off with "daaaaaad mum's buying books again

Dani
February 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Isn't that always the way Hollie? :biggrin:

DavidsGirl841444
February 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Whoa kids are little tattle tales arn't they?

hollie
February 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
thats mainly my fault i trained them to tell on daddy now its backfired

Patrizia
February 6th, 2008, 02:12 AM
LOL Hollie on the kids. I've got three boys and know what you mean. B-day presents are usually me visiting Amazon!

The Carpathian series is huge. Just now, she's started branching the storyline out to freshen it up and it's worked for me because I'm hooked on seeing how the storyline plays out. What's fascinating about her other two series is they're each quite different in tone. Her Ghost Walker's series (Night Game, Mind Game, etc). are much grittier and deal more with psychic talents and experiments in a real world situation. It's pretty gripping. Then there is her Drake Sister's series which is lighter (particularly the early novellas) and become more romantic suspense-like in the latter ones, but also pull you in. Okay, I'm a fan, what can I say. :-) She's a must buy for me right now.

DavidsGirl841444
February 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Whoa didn't know the other of her series were good enough to get into except for the vamps since I am a supernatural kind of girl. But must see to those thanks Patrizia. Well Hollie things like that sure tend to backfire but kids are kids.

hollie
February 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
oh i'll look at her other books the ghost walker ones sound good thanks Patrizia

bittenbybooks
February 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
don't the drake sisters have a paranormal twist to them?

DavidsGirl841444
February 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Is that bad to have a twist to it I mean paranormal is good?

hollie
February 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
a twist is good it keeps things interesting

bittenbybooks
February 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM
paranormal is good. :) I just wasn't sure if that particular series was paranormal. Is it?

Patrizia
February 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Cool that I could interest you all in her other works!

With the GhostWalker series think along the line of special forces, so you have a very military storyline running through. The characters all possess extrarodinary (genetically altered perhaps) psychic talent. You've got government conspiracies, etc. Each book is supposed to be stand alone but really you should start with the first book, Shadow Game, to understand the overriding story arc.

The Drake sisters is paranormal but lighter. Here you have seven sisters who are all witches with different talents. They are decsendant from the 7th daughter of seven sisters and so on. You'll want to start with the oldest sister's story, the first book, Magic in the Wind. It must have been part of an anthology because it's only about 100 pgs. Then comes the second sister's story, Twilght Before Christmas. Both are light in tone. With the third story the series takes off. Feehan brings in the Russian mob and moves into a romantic suspense storyline (with that paranormal twist to it). The sixth sister's story is supposed to come out in the fall and the last sister's story next year I assume. I don't think she'll end the series. I think she's going to come up with an interesting direction to keep it going.

Okay, more information than you probably wanted to know. ;-) But if you're looking for new material to read I can really recommend these two series to you all!

hollie
February 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
thanks Patrizia i can add them to my wish list and not get caught he looks at the authers not the titles

Patrizia
February 7th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Your welcome, Hollie!

Amy Corwin
February 7th, 2008, 09:43 AM
You might try PN Elrod's series. They are funny and don't just focus on the area below the belt as so many vampire novels do. Unfortunately, I've completely given up on vampires and paranormal novels, myself, because I find the plots are weakened to the point of unimportance in favor of fitting in as many erotic scenes as possible. (Sorry--that's rather a hobby horse of mine, as you can tell. I want more plot and characterization, myself--but that is purely a personal problem.)

Elrod's vampire novels are really mystery/crime stories, except there is a vampire hero. I liked the early ones best. But then, I liked the early Laurell Hamilton books until she went moved into erotica. That's the way the market has gone, though, for vampire and urban fantasy. Which is hard for me because I used to really adore urban fantasy and vampire stories when they were often found in the Science Fiction aisle and had interesting plots, twists, and characters.

Anyway--I didn't mean to sound negative. There is a lot of good stuff out there. I just wish there was a *little more* out there that focused the plot on things other than the bedroom. It's purely a matter of taste, however. But I don't buy anything with a paranormal element in it that has a publication date later than 2001 because I've been disappointed too many times. And it really kills me because I read the backs of books and I love the idea of the plot--but I "sense" that I might be disappointed and put it back on the shelf.
:-(
In a way, I wish they would put ratings or some indication on the books about how many sex scenes there are. If there is 1 or 2, then in the average book, you will probably still have a fairly strong plot and all is well. I can live with that. More than that, and the author has had to trade plot for sex--it's just a matter of book length. So maybe a rating isn't the right way to go--maybe they just need the number of sex scenes. ;-)

Anyway--try P.N. Elrod, if you haven't and if you like mysteries.

DavidsGirl841444
February 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Amy I know exactly what you mean I ma with you that one. Not that I mine erotica that bad. I mean Anita blake was great before it went all sex better when it was just plot. Yeah they have changed some for better some just is the way it is. I keep reading hoping and wanting to know what happens.

hollie
February 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
i think alot of the time it's a choice btween sex scenes or fighting scenes and i usually would prefere the sex as i don't like a lot of fighting

Karenne
February 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
orrrrrrrrrrrrrr a little fighting scene to get the juices flowing so to speak..and then a sex scene!Lusty Drool Smilie

bittenbybooks
February 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
orrrrrrrrrrrrrr a little fighting scene to get the juices flowing so to speak..and then a sex scene!Lusty Drool Smilie
spoken like a true hussy! LOL

Karenne
February 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
oh yeah! Laugh it Up fuzball

hollie
February 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
that i don't mind it's when it's all fighting that i'm not interested it has it's place but it has to be balenced with other things

Patrizia
February 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I do hear you on the push towards erotica. My writing partner mentioned that with regard to LKH, which is why I haven't bothered to pick up any of her books. I've been actually leaning towards the lighter paranormal like the Kimberly Raye series I mentioned up thread. I'm going to have to check out the Elrod series. Thanks for the heads up. I'm always looking for new authors to check out. (It does have a good romance, doesn't it? I love a good mystery but combine with a romance and I'm so sold. ;-) )

bittenbybooks
February 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I do hear you on the push towards erotica. My writing partner mentioned that with regard to LKH, which is why I haven't bothered to pick up any of her books. I've been actually leaning towards the lighter paranormal like the Kimberly Raye series I mentioned up thread. I'm going to have to check out the Elrod series. Thanks for the heads up. I'm always looking for new authors to check out. (It does have a good romance, doesn't it? I love a good mystery but combine with a romance and I'm so sold. ;-) )

Kimberly Raye is hillarious! Definately a light read and easy on the steam. I can't wait to read more of her books.

But I have to add that Erin McCarthy is doing something for me. (in a platonic way lol).

It took me awhile to get into the LKH series, but once Anita started losing some of the righteous (sp) indignation, I really started to like it. This of course added the sexual element. LOL

kjt1029
February 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Lynsay Sands has an interesting take on vampires. She writes romance with humor and always has some mystery, thriller sub-plot going on. Her Arengeneau series is really good, but start with the first book in the series..

I also enjoyed the "Vampire Shrink" by Lynda Hilburn. The author is a psychologist also. The story is mystery, thriller with some romance.

One of my all time favorites was the series by Nora Roberts. "Morrigans Cross", "Dance of the Gods" and "Valley of Silence". This trilogy has vampires, witches, time travel, a vampire warrior like Buffy, fighting/war, current events and events in the past (via time travel). Did I forget romance.....AWESOME series.

Of course I can't leave out Kim Harrison. She has some vampires in her "Hollow" series too. Her stories are terrific, some romance but mostly action / mystery. Hopefully I described them right.

Amy Corwin
February 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
There is a bit of romance in the Elrod books, but it begins later in the series. It was enough for me, but then, I prefer the plot to be weighted toward the mystery instead of the romance. :-) I'm okay with a kiss at the end. :-) But the later Elrods (maybe book 4 or 5?) do definitely have a romance. :-)

bittenbybooks
February 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I also enjoyed the "Vampire Shrink" by Lynda Hilburn. The author is a psychologist also. The story is mystery, thriller with some romance.

I am so glad to get a review on this one! I have it on my wishlist. :)

Dani
February 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Rach, you've never seen me talk about The Vampire Shrink in the forums? I loved that book! It was great and her new book, Dark Harvest, promises to be just as great. The cover is awesome, but I like the vamp on the from of the first book better. Here's the link so that you can see the new cover (it's on her blog, so you'll need to scroll down to the Jan. 23 entry). http://paranormalityuniverse.blogspot.com/ (http://paranormalityuniverse.blogspot.com/)

Get The Vampire Shrink, you'll like it. :biggrin:

DavidsGirl841444
February 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Really another books but you know wait to write that one down with all the ones I plan on getting but definetly on the back burner for some time.

Hey Fragrantsoul I liked Anita all rightous and stuck up was so cool like that. bUT MYS OPINION.

bittenbybooks
February 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Rach, you've never seen me talk about The Vampire Shrink in the forums? I loved that book! It was great and her new book, Dark Harvest, promises to be just as great. The cover is awesome, but I like the vamp on the from of the first book better. Here's the link so that you can see the new cover (it's on her blog, so you'll need to scroll down to the Jan. 23 entry). http://paranormalityuniverse.blogspot.com/ (http://paranormalityuniverse.blogspot.com/)

Get The Vampire Shrink, you'll like it. :biggrin:

Nope, havent' seen any posts on it. Though I hadn't been looking. LOL
Thanks for the link and the heads up. Looks like she's scheduled for october for the next book.

Patrizia
February 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I just got the second book in Lynsey Sands Vampire series from Amazon yesterday. We're heading over to MIL's this evening, so going to bring it to read on the train. I'll probably be laughing out loud and getting all kinds of strange looks. ;-)

The Vampire Shrink sounds interesting. I love hearing about new authors and series to keep an eye out for. Thanks for the info.

bittenbybooks
February 9th, 2008, 08:36 PM
That is funny, I just got Vampires are Forever from Lynsay Sands in the mail today. :)

DavidsGirl841444
February 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Got to get it you all keep talking about it.

Patrizia
February 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM
That is funny, I just got Vampires are Forever from Lynsay Sands in the mail today.

Tell me how you like it.:-)

bittenbybooks
February 12th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Tell me how you like it.:-)

Will do! It will be awhile. I started the Kelley Armstrong series this weekend. Just finished book two. There is a vampire in this one actually (stolen).

Then I have to read the Argeneau vamps from the beginning. Should be done around wednesday.....NOT. LOL

But I will definately post back to the forums w/thoughts. :)

DavidsGirl841444
February 12th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Fast little readers arn't we all.

bittenbybooks
February 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Fast little readers arn't we all.

Yes indeedy! it could pose a threat to authors everywhere if we don't slow down, there will be nothing left to read. LOL

Daelith
February 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I started trying to read all of this thread to see if the author I had in mind had been mentioned but only made it to page 8.
Anyway...have you tried Raven Hart's Savannah Vampire series.

1. The Vampire's Seduction
2. The Vampire's Secret
3. The Vampire's Kiss
4. The Vampire's Betrayal (April 29)

I love this series and I just:wub: Jack.

Raven Hart (http://www.ravenhartbooks.com/)

I understand the frustration of the original poster with some of the books mentioned. I'm not sure I could enjoy those books now myself though I did thoroughly enjoy them when I read them. I still have them...somewhere. What I look for from an author, in the characters, etc has all changed considerably since I began reading paranormals (or any other genre, for that matter) over the years. I guess it could better be said that my reading tastes have expanded...matured over time. I find myself more and more going through old books on my shelves and thinking...you know I really liked that when I read it, but it just doesn't do anything for me now. Off to the usb with it.

bittenbybooks
February 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I started trying to read all of this thread to see if the author I had in mind had been mentioned but only made it to page 8.
Anyway...have you tried Raven Hart's Savannah Vampire series.

1. The Vampire's Seduction
2. The Vampire's Secret
3. The Vampire's Kiss
4. The Vampire's Betrayal (April 29)

I love this series and I just:wub: Jack.

Raven Hart (http://www.ravenhartbooks.com/)

I understand the frustration of the original poster with some of the books mentioned. I'm not sure I could enjoy those books now myself though I did thoroughly enjoy them when I read them. I still have them...somewhere. What I look for from an author, in the characters, etc has all changed considerably since I began reading paranormals (or any other genre, for that matter) over the years. I guess it could better be said that my reading tastes have expanded...matured over time. I find myself more and more going through old books on my shelves and thinking...you know I really liked that when I read it, but it just doesn't do anything for me now. Off to the usb with it.

I have book 2 in this series on the way to me! Guess I should really start w/#1 though eh? :)

Thanks for the reccomendation!

Daelith
February 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I have book 2 in this series on the way to me! Guess I should really start w/#1 though eh? :)

Thanks for the reccomendation!
Yes, definitely start with the first one because it's a continuing story. You might as well get the the 3rd one too, because book 2 leaves you litearally hanging. smilies/aah.gif

DavidsGirl841444
February 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Must have on the list as well sounds intresting and very good. Whoa never going to finish all these books before I die with the way it grows.

bittenbybooks
February 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yes, definitely start with the first one because it's a continuing story. You might as well get the the 3rd one too, because book 2 leaves you litearally hanging. smilies/aah.gif

Will do! :)

Hey, I love your little banner that says "slave to my pets"

I can SO relate! We have 2 cats and FIVE wiener dogs! LOL

Maria M.
February 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Must have on the list as well sounds intresting and very good. Whoa never going to finish all these books before I die with the way it grows.

I know how you feel. I just bought a book journal thing in about November and I think I am going to need a new one soon because there are so many books that I want.

bittenbybooks
February 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I know how you feel. I just bought a book journal thing in about November and I think I am going to need a new one soon because there are so many books that I want.

LOL, I have TWO journals and had to buy a third for all of my wishes. Though what I did was write the author and then all of their series/titles in order. Then makred them if they had been read, or if they were books I had or were on their way. uhhh I stopped sometime in December and now it is a mess!

I have a friend that uses bookcrossing to keep track of all the books she has gotten or wants. I haven't really looked at that though.

Dani
February 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Rach, what's bookcrossing?

bittenbybooks
February 13th, 2008, 09:20 PM
bookcrossing.com

people go and register their books there, and then they "release" them into the wild. LOL pass them on or leave them places. Or trade them on sites like bookmooch.com or paperbackswap.com
I use the latter two.

So, you register your book, then put a number inside the front cover. When you receive a book with a number you go to the BC site and put in the registration number. It pulls up the books history so you can see where its been and also rate it if you like. I think you can do a lot more stuff there, but I haven't really checked it out too much.

There is also shelfari.com which is fairly new (i think). Where you can put your books up on your "shelf" and share what you are reading w/friends and other members.

Daelith
February 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Rach, what's bookcrossing?

Click the link in my sig. It will take you right to it. I'm a Book Crosser too.

fragrantsoul - Thanks. I have 2 Rottweilers. They're my kids.

Dani
February 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
bookcrossing.com

people go and register their books there, and then they "release" them into the wild. LOL pass them on or leave them places. Or trade them on sites like bookmooch.com or paperbackswap.com
I use the latter two.

So, you register your book, then put a number inside the front cover. When you receive a book with a number you go to the BC site and put in the registration number. It pulls up the books history so you can see where its been and also rate it if you like. I think you can do a lot more stuff there, but I haven't really checked it out too much.

There is also shelfari.com which is fairly new (i think). Where you can put your books up on your "shelf" and share what you are reading w/friends and other members.
Thanks Rach. I have a Shelfari account. It's nice and people can look at what I've read, reading or am going to read.

Click the link in my sig. It will take you right to it. I'm a Book Crosser too.

fragrantsoul - Thanks. I have 2 Rottweilers. They're my kids.
Thanks to you too Daelith. I'll be checking your link in a second.

CharmedGirl
February 14th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I've just finished reading a really good vampire series by Stephanie Meyer. Three books are out so far:-

1. Twilight
2. New Moon
3. Eclipse

The fourth book is out sometime this year not sure when but I can't wait to read it. LOL

DavidsGirl841444
February 14th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Oh chica read those a while ago and they were fabulous perfect actually loved Edward so hot. Those vamps are cool.

CharmedGirl
February 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Well I'm glad someone has read them. I actually preferred the werewolf Jacob but I gotta admit Edward is really cool.

In love with two men and you can only choose one...which one do you choose definitely the vampire. LOL

Daelith
February 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I need to add the first of that series to my wishlist. Been hearing good things about it.

I see you're reading Greywalker now, Charmed Girl. I've got it and the second of that series in Mt. TBR. I was hesitant to buy them at $14 each, but I caught a deal on them recently and couldn't resist.

CharmedGirl
February 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Greywalker is actually quite good. I'm getting through it quickly and I've got the second one (Poltergeist) as well but I've got some other books I want to read first before it. LOL

bittenbybooks
February 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I've just finished reading a really good vampire series by Stephanie Meyer. Three books are out so far:-

1. Twilight
2. New Moon
3. Eclipse

The fourth book is out sometime this year not sure when but I can't wait to read it. LOL

were these classified as Young Adult?

Daelith
February 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Greywalker is actually quite good. I'm getting through it quickly and I've got the second one (Poltergeist) as well but I've got some other books I want to read first before it. LOL

Oh it may be a while before I get to my copies. I just can't seemed to get as much reading time as I would like. Stupid things like work...:vacuum: and :sleep1: always seem to get in the way.
:)

Dani
February 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM
were these classified as Young Adult?

Yes Rach, they are YA books. The first one is out in paperback and hardback and the other two so far are only in hardback. They are (from what I've been told) good and were recommended to me by two girls that go the the middle school where my mom works. They some how knew that I liked vampire novels so they told my mom to tell me about them. LOL!

bittenbybooks
February 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
that is awesome you have everybody on the look out for you. LOL

There are some really great YA books out. I think I have one of this series. :)

There is one, that is a co-creation...but I can't remember the name. I think one is called Witch and maybe the other Cursed?
Helpful aren't I? If I come across the names I will post it here.
Hey do we have a YA paranormal thread? LOL

Dani
February 14th, 2008, 11:18 PM
It seems that I do Rach and I never even asked for it. LOL!

As for the YA paranormal thread here, your guess is as good as mine. I've never seen one, but that's not to say that we don't. Karenne will know if we do or not.

Karenne
February 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM
ohh....do you think we need a Young Adult area?

I can set that up. Cookiesmilies

bittenbybooks
February 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
definately! there are tons of YA paranormals. :) I just found an entire series (okay 2 ) by Cate Tiernan I had never heard of before. ;)

DavidsGirl841444
February 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I don't know we can't just add them here but it would be intresting Karenne up to you of course see what people think of the idea. I like it.

Dani
February 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Have you seen MaryJanice Davidson's YA series co-written with her husband Anthony Alongi?

It's the Jennifer Scales series and guess what... She's a weredragon! I think that's so cool another set of book centered around a dragon shifter. I've also just found out from her site that you can find the books in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy area of the bookstore now. Bouncy Icon Smilie

bittenbybooks
February 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Have you seen MaryJanice Davidson's YA series co-written with her husband Anthony Alongi?

It's the Jennifer Scales series and guess what... She's a weredragon! I think that's so cool another set of book centered around a dragon shifter. I've also just found out from her site that you can find the books in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy area of the bookstore now. Bouncy Icon Smilie

Yep! It looks so cute. I think I have the first book in the series set aside in my sooner TBR pile. I can't wait!

CharmedGirl
February 16th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Not more books for me to look into. I love MJD her books are great. She has a really good short story in an Anthology book I've got but along with stories from Cheyenne McCray and a couple of other authors. I'll post the name when I've locate the book on my bookcase. LOL

Daelith
February 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I read that first book, Jennifer Scales and the Ancient Furnace, and it was okay. I wasn't compelled to get the next one though and I love dragons. Anne McCaffrey was a big influence on starting my love for books with her Pern series. I like MJD's Queen Betsy series better.

CharmedGirl
February 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I haven't read any Anne McCaffrey books yet but a friend said her series is quite good and I should check them out.

bittenbybooks
February 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I haven't read any Anne McCaffrey books yet but a friend said her series is quite good and I should check them out.

They are really good. I read them SO long ago, I would probably half to read them all again to remember. There are LOTS of them. Definately a fantasy series versus paranormal. But worth reading all the same. :):smilingsun:

CharmedGirl
February 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
They are really good. I read them SO long ago, I would probably half to read them all again to remember. There are LOTS of them. Definately a fantasy series versus paranormal. But worth reading all the same. :):smilingsun:

Okay Rach! Do they have some good romantic moments in them?

bittenbybooks
February 16th, 2008, 04:25 PM

hmmm good question. LOL I don't remember. I will ask my DH when he comes home. He might know. :sofa:

Daelith
February 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM

Kind of, but nothing steamy. Very subtle stuff as I recall. Start with Dragonsong which is part of the Harper Hall series. Or there is an omnibus, Harper Hall Trilogy, out now with all three books of that series.

DavidsGirl841444
February 17th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Anne McCaffry her dragon books are great the weird thread that comes down adn only the dragons can burn it arn't there some elements similar to eragon or is it the other way around right certain dragons with certain people.

BonnieLass
February 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah! I just discovered this thread! I love a great vampire story, but I prefer them not to be too gory.

I have also read the Stephenie Meyer books. Love them! I'm on pins and needles to see who all is cast in the movies. So far we only know who is playing Bell and Edward.

I've read all the Anne Rice vampire books. I particularly liked the first five or so and then after that they went downhill, in my opinion. I love the sounds of the Lynsey Sands books. I'm definitely going to try them. I also have a friend that has recommended the "Blood Ties" books by Tanya Huff.

Now I just need the time to read all these! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Aline de Chevigny
February 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Not to toot my own horn too loudly LOL But I've yet to find a vampire world like the one I created.

An the much anticipated Sequel to Blood Red: Chronicles of the Cursed Book 1 is out on February 22nd, 2008 at Aspen Mountain Press (http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/more-hot-reads/blood-red/prod_94.html)

Here's a little taste...

The Ravenson Project: Chronicles of the Cursed Book 2

<SPACE>http://www.alinedechevigny.com/images/Ravenson_Project_Cover_copy.jpg

Malek DeWinter, learnt the hard way that the Raven Lord he’d thought had aved him from death so many years ago, wasn’t what he appeared to be. After a night of passionate lovemaking with his new found mate, he wakes from his cursed sleep to find himself chained to the dungeon walls. With his mate at the mercy of his Lord, the house he'd thought had abandoned him comes to his rescue. Can he make things right before it’s too late? Or will he lose his true love to the hands of a traitor?

http://www.alinedechevigny.com/images/cfdiv1.jpg</IMG>

http://www.alinedechevigny.com/images/cfaccent2.jpg
</IMG>Excerpt : Unedited.

Malek growled, his senses coming alert all at once. Her scent infused him, she smelled of desire and need. Her lips tasted of eagerness and something he hadn’t tasted in decades… Could it be innocence? His eyes snapped open. Could it be? Could Sharra still be an innocent? The thought excited his senses and deepened his desire.

He rolled over pinning her to the mattress below his body. She’d been warned to stay away until he rose for the evening, yet the stubborn woman refused to obey the simplest of commands. If his Sire hadn’t given him leave to take a keeper of his very own, Sharra would be in serious danger for the stunt she’d just pulled. He’d decided within moments of being granted that permission that Sharra would be his keeper, keeping her safe under his protection. A slow throaty chuckle escaped his throat at the thought, he’d always wanted a human lover he could bite into orgasmic bliss. Seeing her surprised expression, he grinned evilly. “Good evening Sharra.”

“Malek, you’re awake!”

“You sound surprised pet! I must say Sharra; this is definitely the nicest way I’ve been woken in ages. But you know this isn’t where you were told to meet me.”

He grinned at the frown that caressed her lips, she hated being ordered about like a slave. “I’m no one’s slave Malek and I missed you.”

“No you certainly aren’t that Sharranna. But you could be mine! I wouldn’t object in the least.”

“Why you vile, disgusting, despicable excuse for a man.”

“You have no idea my pet, none whatsoever, how vile I could be.” He released his hold on the desire he felt for her and kissed her again. He expected no resistance since she’d entered his chambers and his bed freely, and he didn’t receive any. Five years of waiting and wanting were set free in her one act of defiance. His hands roamed eagerly down her side to her thigh, slipping under the dress she wore and climbing back up to rest on her hip. Her dress bunched above his left hand, his right holding her chin steady while he plundered her mouth kissing the breath out of her.

bittenbybooks
February 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
wow Aline that looks GOOD! Thanks for sharing!!

are your books in print as well??

Do tell!

Aline de Chevigny
February 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
wow Aline that looks GOOD! Thanks for sharing!!

are your books in print as well??

Do tell!

Not yet fragrantsoul but hopefully an Anthology of the first 4 stories will be out within the next 2 years. But first must release book 3 and 4 LOL

bittenbybooks
February 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
very cool!
sounds like you have a lot of work cut out for you! ;) What kind of chemist are you? Do you have a special field?

Aline de Chevigny
February 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
very cool!
sounds like you have a lot of work cut out for you! ;) What kind of chemist are you? Do you have a special field?

LOL just lot of edits :unsure: , the books are written already.:lol:

I'm a Chemical Engineering Technologist and I specialise in Mining and Environmental Issues. I work at Ontario's First Diamond mine in Canada.
Mucho story ideas up here LOL :devil:

Aline

bittenbybooks
February 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM
LOL just lot of edits :unsure: , the books are written already.:lol:

I'm a Chemical Engineering Technologist and I specialise in Mining and Environmental Issues. I work at Ontario's First Diamond mine in Canada.
Mucho story ideas up here LOL :devil:

Aline

very cool! Do you work in the mine? LOL (getting a visual here). Is there a lot of material in the mine?

I bet there are some great ideas from your job!

Aline de Chevigny
February 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
very cool! Do you work in the mine? LOL (getting a visual here). Is there a lot of material in the mine?

I bet there are some great ideas from your job!

LOL no I'm in the environmental department, and through that have access and yes lots of story ideas LOL.

hollie
February 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
i think a young adult bit would be good i know Jojo asks a lot if we talk about books she can read and usually the answer is no

bittenbybooks
February 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
there are some pretty steamy YA books out ther too. LOL
:jumprope:

CharmedGirl
February 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM
there are some pretty steamy YA books out there too. LOL
:jumprope:

I totally have to agree. I was looking at YA books with my friend and her sister. I was a little surprised at how steamy some of the books are. :turned:

hollie
February 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM
do i need to read these books befor i let Jo near them or am i being over protective again

DavidsGirl841444
February 18th, 2008, 09:50 AM
That is a good question I mean i wouldn never think to read a young adult book that I am giving to a friend or neice since its in a certain section cause the author did other kid friendly books need to read books of all kinds.

bittenbybooks
February 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
do i need to read these books befor i let Jo near them or am i being over protective again

you may want to read them first.

hollie
February 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
thanks Rach i'll look into it

CharmedGirl
February 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Read Jennifer Rardin's vampire series. It's really good!

syrenity
February 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
As for vamp romances:

Recs:

Angela Knight <SNIP>
Charlaine Harris <SNIP>
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters <SNIP>

Here is a list of authors I buy all the time.

Kelley Armstrong
Kim Harrison
Mary Janice Davidson (funny as all get out)
Katie Macalister (ditto)
JR Ward (hubby loves her, he will hurt you over these books)
Patricia Briggs
Kathy Love

Thank you for this list!! I was just sitting wondering how one finds good reads in the paranormal genre. I mean, I have certain authors that I have stumbled upon and begun reading. I have also chanced on a few that leave much to be desired....I just spent hours at the bookstore, searching the shelves trying to decide which books to spend my Christmas monies on, finally! I am ALWAYS open for anyone that has a great TBR list of authors!!!!!

CharmedGirl
February 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Katie McAlister her books are great and the JR Ward books are excellent. There are so many vampire books out that are awesome.

DavidsGirl841444
February 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Yes they are not in the billions category, darn:hissyfit:.

But there are hot ones:spotman:

bittenbybooks
February 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
your best bet is to read the forums here and post a list of potentials that you are thinking about. You can also read the reviews on amazon or other review sites as well. That is usually what I do. :)

Karenne
February 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM
cough...of you could look at the review of COFFEE TIME ROMANCE & MORE! lol Hello! We put up new ones every week!

Laugh it Up fuzball

Dani
February 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Laugh it Up fuzball

That was too funny!

DavidsGirl841444
February 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Nice one Karenne but true thanks. hehehee=)

Sapphire Phelan
February 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Got this sci-fi vampire paranromal coming March 17, 2008 from Phaze
(http://phaze.com), Crimson Promise. A reprint, I have added more to the story and to the ending.

ISBN: 1-59426-728-6 978-1-59426-728-4
eBook ISBN-13: 978-1-59426-728-4
$2.00

Sapphire Phelan
http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines

Blurb:

Victor, an undead vampire, has fled to another planet in the future to survive, for Earth is now poison to his kind.
Na'lesa has been alive for eons, the last of her race--drastically changed--now she lives a life as a living vampire.
One night they both run into each other over some prey. Two lonely people: they find love, sex, and blood, and not necessarily in that order.

Excerpt below is PG-13, but the e-Book is more explict and must be read by one 18 & older:
Victor noticed in the reflection of a window in one of the buildings he passed how the alabaster light from the twin moons above illuminated his blanched features, bringing up shadows in every contour. The only color on him came from his lips and eyes; both a blood-red hue.

He grinned, running his tongue over large, sharp canines, then slipped down the town's only street, really a dirt road. Darting in and out of alleys, he kept to the darkness, as he wanted to make sure no one saw him. Fortunately, there was no one out tonight; it was too cold for that. If he was alive and breathing, he could have seen his breath in the freezing air. But he wasn't alive or dead. Instead he was in-between: undead.

He melded with the deepening shadows of the alley, where he waited as the door to the bar nearby slid open. A lock of hair as black as a raven's wing fell over his brow as he stared at the glaring light spilling from the doorway. Without a hint of arrogance, he knew that if someone did come out and catch sight of him, he would think an extremely pale, but good-looking man stood there.

Good-looking as an undead, he had been even more so as a mortal. The face of a dark angel—that's what women had said over three hundred years ago, in Germany. Then one night at a debutante ball, he met an attractive woman with russet curls that flowed over her shoulders and down her back. He was bored with all the mincing virgins simpering around him, and when he saw the newcomer he became fascinated. Her white face lacked innocence and her eyes seemed worldly beyond what he thought at the time was her young years. She convinced him to leave the ball with her, and took him to her home where she enticed him into her bed.

In the throes of passion, just as he was about to cum, her eyes glowed blood-red and sharp fangs burst from her mouth. She sunk them into his neck, draining him almost to the point of death. She hadn't, though, and forced him to drink some of her blood, making him a Nosferatu like her. After that, he stayed with her, until a vampire hunter staked her in the heart, ending her undead existence.

He grimaced at the memories. Now, his bad boy looks fit his eternal life in a more meaningful way.

Sounds of revelry erupted from the bar, so loud it seemed as if the walls of the place couldn't contain it at all. Drunken yelling from the miners, women's laughter, and screeches of a badly played piano filled the area like fingernails on a chalkboard, stretching out disjointed fingers toward him. He hated the noise just as he hated the dirty, threadbare town of the humans. In fact, Victor hated everything about this alien world.

Every night, he wondered why he had come to this misbegotten hellhole on the other end of the universe.

Images of a ravaged Earth would come into his mind in answer, and he resigned himself to his new world, hunting in its darkness for the blood he craved. He was alone—the last vampire left in the universe.

That was the real reason he couldn't stand this world—the loneliness. Even if vampires weren't the most social of creatures, at least males and females came together once in a while to fuck, to feast off the ambrosia of one another's vampiric blood, heightened by the frenzy of sex. The tantalizing odor of blood, sprinkled with alcohol, wafted toward his nostrils. Flaring them wide, he took in the scent and appreciated the heady flavor of the lifeblood, though not the cheap beer that laced it. It came from two figures that stumbled out of the bar and almost passed the alley in which he hid. One halted, and his vampire hearing took in the sound of liquid hitting the side of the building. The stench of piss drifted his way and he wrinkled his nose in distaste. Unfortunately, he couldn't be choosy for a meal, and quickly he flew from there, leaping upon his intended victims.

Suddenly, another shadow darted across his path and ripped the neck of one man, while clasping the other tightly against its front. Neither had time to cry out, the other creature had been that quick. The man with the torn throat fell to the ground, precious blood spilling and seeping into the dirt, turning it to mud.

Starved for blood for a long time now, Victor fell to his knees in the wetness and fastened his mouth over the opening, sucking out what remained of the red liquid in the body that had gone cold with death. He ignored the other sucking sounds above him. Ordinarily, he would have taken the body away and hid to feed upon it, as he would have been wary of whatever kind of creature feasted on the other victim. Nothing of it felt undead to him, just some strange alien essence. But, it had been a long time since he last fed, and the hunger forced him to finish off every last, precious drop.

With the body now drained, he rose to his feet and licked the few splashes of blood from the corners of his mouth. Then he straightened his clothing, tried to knocked off as much of the bloodied mud caking the knees of his pants, and looked over to see what kind of being had fed with him. The sight of soft, heather-purple eyes staring into his slammed into his gut, as he saw they belonged to a vision of beauty so alien, that caused his body to harden in places he thought long dead. He would have caught a breath—if he had a breath to catch. But he did it anyway, from force of habit.

By all that was unholy, alien or not, she was something that men fought to catch glimpses of.

CharmedGirl
February 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM
That was an excellent excerpt Sapphire. Can't wait to read more of the story.

Dani
February 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM
Got this sci-fi vampire paranromal coming March 17, 2008 from Phaze
(http://phaze.com), Crimson Promise. A reprint, I have added more to the story and to the ending.

ISBN: 1-59426-728-6 978-1-59426-728-4
eBook ISBN-13: 978-1-59426-728-4
$2.00

Sapphire Phelan
http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan
Great excerpt. I thought this sounded familiar. I've read an excerpt before, but hadn't had the chance to read the whole story yet.

DavidsGirl841444
February 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM
Amazing excerptand seems intresting another planet whoa real scifi with vamps.

bittenbybooks
February 21st, 2008, 02:10 PM
I don't know if anybody mentioned this series, but it is really good.

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost and her upcoming 2nd book in the series - april 2008- One Foot In the Grave.

I really am looking forward to more from this author!