Makes 8 scones

1 1/4 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup milk chocolate toffee chips (I use the Heath English Toffee Bits)
1/3 to 1/2 cup buttermilk

1. In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Work in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until the dough has the texture of oatmeal. Stir in the oats and toffee chips. Add the buttermilk, using enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly for about a minute.

2. Roll or pat the dough into a 7-inch (diameter) circle. Cut into 8 equal-size wedges. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. (If you like, brush the tops with melted butter.) Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 17 minutes.

Notes: You can substitute anything for the toffee chips...currants, raisins, dried cranberries, mini chocolate chips.

hollie
March 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
i love scones but being british i like them with jam and clotted cream

rebelheart
March 20th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks, that looks delicious!!
Julie

SharynTregarth
March 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
i love scones but being british i like them with jam and clotted cream

I normally eat my scones with plenty of jam and my own version of clotted cream. Living in the States, I can't get clotted cream here.

My kids look at me odd, when I start piling on the jam and cream, but hey...I'm the one eating it, so only my opinion counts. LOL

Shakinshamrocks
March 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Yum, I love scones! I will definitely try these!

MonikaM
December 16th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Ingredients

plain flour, for dusting
3 cups self-raising flour
80g butter, cubed
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk
jam and whipped cream, to serve

Method

Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with plain flour. Sift self-raising flour into a large bowl.
Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Make a well in the centre. Add 1 cup of milk. Mix with a flat-bladed knife until mixture forms a soft dough, adding more milk if required. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth (don't knead dough too much or scones will be tough).
Pat dough into a 2cm-thick round. Using a 5cm (diameter) round cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Press dough together and cut out remaining 4 rounds. Place scones onto prepared baking tray, 1cm apart. Sprinkle tops with a little plain flour. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and well risen. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm with jam and cream.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">