PDA

View Full Version : What is Historical Romance?

ladybecklyn
March 4th, 2007, 05:57 PM
What exactly is the definition of historical romance? I was wondering because I did not know if my favorite author is classified under historical. Also, what is regency?:unsure:

Regina
March 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM
A historical is a novel that takes place in a time period that predates the author's.

A regency takes place between 1811-1820, when it was decided the English king George III was not fit to rule, and his son George IV ruled in his stead as a proxy ruler or regent.

ladybecklyn
March 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Okay, so my favorite author writes historical romances, good to know. I understand the regency now. I think she has some books that take place the to. So is she historical and regency or just simply historical?

JennaPetersen
March 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Most publishers take historical romances set before 1900, though that time period is expanding, slowly but surely.

Your favorite author could be considered a Regency Historical author if she writes historical romances set in the Regency period. There are also Regency writers. Those were much shorter books and were more comedies of manners. Think Jane Austen rather than Julia Quinn. Most Regencies (MOST) did not have love scenes.

A Regency historical is set in the Regency period, but will most likely have love scenes and will be longer.

Regency historical authors include:

Julia Quinn
Christina Dodd
Mary Balogh
and...
Jenna Petersen (me)

Hope that helps!

ladybecklyn
March 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Yes, that helps. I suppose she is probably a plain historical romance but does some regency historical. However, there are more than one love scene, could be several. Is that still considered a regency? I suppose I could just tell you the author and you would have a better idea, yes? Well my favorite author is Johanna Lindsey and I also REALLY enjoy Bertrice Small. I suppose I could google it but if you happen to know....

JennaPetersen
March 7th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Yes, if there are love scenes, the book is longer in length and it's set in the Regency, she is writing Regency Historical. Any regular romance set in the Regency period is a Regency historical.

The regular Regencies stopped being published last year, so they are not found very often anymore.

If you tell me the author, I can tell you for sure. Johanna Lindsey and Bertrice Small would both be considered Regency Historical authors (though Bertrice is often classified as an erotic historical author).

ladybecklyn
March 7th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks for that information.....Bertrice is an erotic historical author...I suppose that makes sense. They are quite a bit more erotic...lol. ;)

Linda L Lattimer
March 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I always wondered about the different aspects to historical fiction and this seems to help quite a bit since I like to read historical

thanks much, Linda

Karenne
March 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I love historicals. To me....it is a time when women (depending on the historicals that you read..me...softer) dressed up and men under estimated them (I guess some still do...says the southern woman) and it was okay for them to be feminine but they could be strong. I am a big character person. I love character development....that is my favorite thing. If I can visualize it in my head and it is 'do-able' then I love it even more.

I like to hear about different things that were important and the things that are still the same..just in a different time.

rambles out of here...:tt2:

troubledmood
March 10th, 2007, 12:58 AM
thanks for the info Jenna..I had no idea aboot any of this. it al makes sense to me..I will have to pick up a book that follows under each genre..

jennzilla
March 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Well, pooh, I never knew the diff between a Regency and a Regency historical either LOL! I always thought Regency meant the time period. LOL! Okies. Well, I love Dodd, Quinn, Coulter, and Lindsay. I always have. Oh, and Deveraux and Garwood when they wrote historicals. I want them back to those, if you must know. :(

ladybecklyn
March 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
There is just something about historical romances that keep me there. I prefer them to all other romance novels.

denisepatrick
April 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
I, too, love historicals. I love almost any period, but I love Traditional Regencies more. Those are the ones that used to be published by Zebra and Signet. Those are the ones most often that may or may not have love scenes and were usually shorter than the ones (Regency Historical) that are written by Quinn, Balogh, Lindsey, Dodd, Laurens, etc. And, those are the kind that I write. So, if you like the shorter Traditional Regencies, be on the look out for my July release from Samhain, The Importance of Almack's.

lucky_pinay
June 16th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I love historical romance, is Judith Mcnaught considered as a historical romance author? I read some books of hers that were set in the regency period but she also writes contemporary fiction

jadxiadax
June 19th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I personally love historical. It pulls you back into the past, and if the author is good, you can imagine yourself being there. Sometimes, it makes me want to research more about the period I just got done reading about.

Jax

Lainey
June 22nd, 2007, 04:57 AM
I love historicals from all different countries, ages, times including American western historicals too ... sure Regency is that but it is basically only in England with some of the rest of the UK involved but there can be historicals from all over the world.. from Egypt to Arabia and Africa to the founding of Australia and the convicts there to American and how it was before and after we gained our independence and the American West too ... I love historicals because it encompasses so many things and places and eras or time periods ... not just one specific period of George the Prince Regent though I love stuff in that period too. Anyway just wanted my say that historicals are so much MORE .... and I love to read all different kinds.

Lainey

denisepatrick
June 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I agree, Lainey. But, I love the 19th century and have read history from all over the world for that time period. Needless to say, it's easier to read English history - so, easier to research. I just returned from a two-week trip to Germany and Austria, and have plenty of ideas for Regencies I want to start there, but will probably take back to England before the end of the book.