PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

Tambra
April 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Basics of Romance Writing.

I have lots of information to share with you and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I've taught online classes for a number of years and always when someone posts a questions another person will say "yeah, I wanted to know that, too."

If you've already started a writing project that's great. If you haven't that's fine, too.

I'll be posting the beginning of the workshop shortly.

Best,
Tambra

Eva Lefoy
April 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah! Looking forward to it.

Tambra
April 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM
Lesson 1 is definitions of the various types of romance and character charts.

Most of the time my characters come first. As I fill out the chart, I begin to think about the plot.

Below are the definitions. Notice, I repeat check the publisher guidelines. I can't stress enough how inportant this is. They change and it's a good idea to have updated information before you start.

Please know that all of the information I post is copyrighted and for personal use only.
Thanks!

THE BASICS OF ROMANCE WRITING<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Lesson 1<o:p></o:p>

Definition of Basic Types of Romance Novels

Developing Characters

Character Charts

Defining Category Romance<o:p></o:p>

Basic Types of Romance Novels

Genre Divisions:
* denotes sub-genre<o:p></o:p>
Contemporary Romance: Story occurs in the present day and deals with realistic problems. Current events/real people aren’t mentioned because it will quickly date your book. It could take eighteen months to two years for your book to reach the shelves.
Long Contemporary: 70-80,000 words. These usually have more secondary characters.

Short Contemporary: 50-60,000 words.
Traditional: Short cotemporaries without a man and woman making love. Some people also call these Sweet Romances.
* Inspirational: Either contemporary or historical, usually with a Christian element. Length varies, check the publishers guidelines.
* Romantic Suspense: Romantic situation with a mystery woven in.
Historical: 85-100,000 words (depending on publisher guidelines this could be over 100,000 words) located in Europe and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">North America</st1:place> between 1066 and 1900; although the 1900’s may now be considered historical.
Regency time period 1811-1820 and run about 50,000 words (check publisher guidelines) and involve the upper class. Regencies that are longer and spicier and have a touch of comedy.
Scottish historicals are still popular, as well as the Mediaeval time period.
Western romance is coming back.
* Paranormal: Elements of fantasy, science fiction, time travel, witches, vampires and other unearthly species, also futuristic elements. Length varies.
* Ethnic/ Multicultural/Interracial romance: Romance novels that involve heroes and heroines of color. These are mostly contemporaries, but there are some historical.
Young Adult: Involve innocent first love and contains no sexual scenes. Intended for pre-teens and teens. Another line now carries realistic situations that may focus on premarital sex. **Check publisher guidelines. This is a hot category right now.
Category Romance: Category, also called series romance will be “categorized” by a specific brand name such as Harlequin Presents, Superromance, Intrique etc., the covers are similar and they are sold together in a package line on a monthly basis. Each line has certain common elements, such as the level sensuality or the level of mystery balanced with the romance. Word count differs greatly from line-to-line, usually anywhere from 50-90,000 words. Harlequin/Silhouette recently changed word lengths on some of their lines, so check their guidelines.
As always, a happy ending is mandatory. Category romance encompasses all genres and sub-genres found in basic types of romance novels.
Single Title: Single titles are stand alone books on the shelf without being part of a particular line. This type may stay on the shelf longer and have a longer print life. To name a few publishers Harlequin Mira, Avon, Berkely and <st1:place w:st="on">St. Martin</st1:place>’s Press publish single titles. Word count ranges from 90-100,000 words, but check the guidelines first. Single titles encompass all genres and sub-genres.
Mainstream: In the mainstream genre the romance is not of the utmost importance—how to tell: if the romance was removed from the storyline and there would still be a story, it is mainstream book. The main focus of the storyline is not the relationship between the couple. Word count ranges from 90-100,000 all genres and sub-genres. Mainstream also has a broader focus. Example: Family sagas, such as The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough.

Red Dragon
April 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Tambra,
I haven't written Romance before, but have a rough outline for one now. ( I've shelved my fantasy for a while) Maybe by the end of your workshop my Romance skeleton might have some muscle on it --tendons at least. :)

Hi again, Yakkity.
Rusty

Eva Lefoy
April 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Tambra,
I haven't written Romance before, but have a rough outline for one now. ( I've shelved my fantasy for a while) Maybe by the end of your workshop my Romance skeleton might have some muscle on it --tendons at least. :)

Hi again, Yakkity.
Rusty

Hey Red Dragon,

We are here learnin' and gettin' smart together. We should be able to whip those books into shape in no time, eh?

Now if we can just get somebody to write our query letter......

Yakkity

LisaTroy
April 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I'm sure this is going to be a very interesting workshop. ;)

Tambra
April 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Rusty,
Most of the information you can use for other areas of genre fiction. If you have any questions, go ahead and post them.

Best,
Tambra

Tambra
April 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Lisa.
I'm glad you could join us.

If something isn't clear, go ahead and post a question.

Best,
Tambra

lavagrl
April 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hey, everyone.

Tambra, thanks so much for doing this.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm learning a ton with these workshops. I just wish I had time to work up my books with what I've learned.

Yakkity, I'm with you, query letters are hell.

:leo:

Tambra
April 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Welcome lavagrl!

I'm glad the lessons are helpful.

Best,
Tambra

Ambersc
April 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I am so late , Thanks so much for doing this.

Tambra
April 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Ambersc,

Glad you could join us!

The more the merrier.

Hugs,
Tambra

crim101
April 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Tambra:
I just found your class, actually a friend sent me the link. Thanking friend. I will try to catch up, but life being life if nothing else, I can at least read the lessons. Thanks so much.
Jo Anne

Tambra
April 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi Jo Anne,
Welcome! I understand about life but yes, get the lessons and skim them if you can. That way, if you have a question you can post it and I'll answer.

Hugs,
Tambra