PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 1

Dani
April 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Chapter One.

The almost ripe moon hung in the midnight sky, and the heat of it sang through my veins. Being a werewolf at this time of the month generally meant fun times, because we celebrated the moon's bloom with a sensual week of intimacy. One that involved much loving and many different partners. Although for me, there was currently only one man, and he was neither an ordinary man nor a werewolf--although as a vampire, he certainly had enough stamina to satisfy the hunger of any wolf.

Of course, I wasn't just a wolf, but when the moon bloomed toward fullness, it was she who reigned supreme, rather than the vampire half of my soul.

But I was also a guardian, and it was an unfortunate fact that the bad guys of this world had absolutely no respect for the moon or a werewolf's needs.

Which was why I was now stalking through the deserted back streets of Coolaroo, following a scent that was all death and violence, rather than being curled up beside my vampire, enjoying his caresses.

The night itself was crisp and cold, and I had a killer case of goose bumps. If I'd had the time, I would have gone home to grab a sweater, but Jack--my boss, and the vampire in charge of the whole Guardian division--had insisted it couldn't wait. That lives depended on me catching this idiot before he could kill again.

Of course, I'd felt the need to point out that he had a veritable truckload of leashed killers sitting in the underground floors of the Directorate, every one of them just aching to be set loose on bad guys. After which, he'd kindly pointed out that if I hadn't lost said killer in the first place, he wouldn't be out killing tonight.

A point I could hardly argue with given it was true, so I'd shut up, kissed Quinn goodbye, and driven straight to the crime scene.

To discover another dead human. Like the teenager who’d been killed several nights ago, tonight’s victim had been drained of blood. Only it wasn’t a vampire doing this because their throats had been slashed rather than bitten, and vampires rarely went to that sort of trouble. Not unless they considered mutilating the bodies of their victims part of the fun, anyway.

Besides, vampires were rarely wasteful when it came to blood, and while both these teenagers had been drained, a whole lot of blood had been smeared across their necks, face, and the ground. It was almost as if someone had slashed, and then tried to gulp down the resulting surge.

I shuddered. Tonight’s death was my fault, because I'd let the damned killer escape me days before.

And the fact that he'd seemingly disappeared into thin air wasn't an excuse. I was a trained hunter-killer, and no matter how much I might sometimes rail against it, there was no going back for me now. Therefore, I had to do the best that I could. And letting a killer go free to kill again definitely wasn't my best.

I blew out a breath and studied the night ahead. Evil was out there, just beyond my line of sight. The scent I followed was a foul thing that hung heavily on the cool night air, reminding me oddly of meat left rotting in the sun.

And I had no idea what it was, because he certainly didn’t smell like any other non-human I'd ever come across.

Although he didn't smell human, either, even if the description we'd gotten off a witness matched that of a man who was listed as human. Only he was also very dead.

I'd immediately starting imagining scenarios featuring killer zombies out for vengeance, but Jack claimed I'd been watching too many horror movies. According to him, while zombies could kill, it wasn’t through any basic desire or need of their own. They weren't capable of thought or emotion, and were little more than receptacles for the deadly desires of others. Which was a fancy way of saying someone else was in charge and directing the action. Only there was never any hint of that other person, either at the crime scene or when I'd been tracking the dead-man.

If there was another nut behind the wheel, though, then he'd found himself the perfect killer. One that did whatever they were raised to do without question or deviation, then fell down dead again afterwards.

Except that this man, whether he be zombie or something else, didn't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down or dropping dead.

Although surely a dead body could only move around for so long before bits began falling off or rotting started becoming a real problem.

And given the scent I was following, he was definitely well on the way to putrefaction. It was surprising he could move so quickly without doing himself serious damage.

I shivered and rubbed my arms, suddenly glad that I made a habit of keeping my laser in the car. Its weight was a comfortable presence in my back pocket.

Once upon a time, a thought like that might have scared me, but I'd been through too much of late. Even a werewolf intent on not becoming a mindless killer needed the help of a weapon occasionally.

I walked on. In the distance, a freight train whistled, the lonely sound mingling with the roar of traffic travelling along nearby Pascoe Vale road. Little seemed to be moving through these streets however, although there were lights on in several of the nearby houses. And the scent of lust and sex coming from the warehouse opposite was so strong my blood just about boiled over.

I wondered if the cops knew that the sedate Asian grocery warehouse was a front for a whorehouse. And a popular one, if the cars parked out the front were any indication.

Of course, brothels had been legal in Melbourne for ages, but they had strict guidelines to follow and generally had to be situated well away from residential areas. This area might have been a mix of residential and industrial, but the mere fact it was hiding behind the cover of a grocery store suggested it wasn't entirely legit.

For all of two seconds I thought about reporting it, then indifference struck and I walked past. Those who were so obviously enjoying themselves within the dour concrete walls were not my target tonight.

Besides, I could hardly begrudge others what I'd rather be doing myself.

I continued on, trying to ignore the hunger that burned through my body. There was a bad guy to catch and kill, and the sooner I did that, the quicker I could get back to my vampire and ease the ache.

I sucked in a breath, my nostrils flaring as I sorted through the aromas running through the cold air. My dead-smelling killer had moved into a side street. I followed, my sneaker-clad feet making little noise on the concrete. I'd mostly given up wearing heels for everyday work. The wooden stilettos might come in handy for staking the occasional rogue vampire, but running in the things across some of the terrains we had to traverse had proved too damned dangerous. And heels and ladders definitely didn't go together--as I'd discovered a week ago when I was chasing a rogue vamp. I'd earned another scar for that--this one across the top of my left hand. The same hand that was missing its little pinky.

Bad guys seemed to have a vendetta against my left limb.

The dead scent was getting stronger, though there was still no sign of the man. The warehouses that lined either side of this street were dark and silent, and the only life visible was the occasional cat.

The street came to a T-intersection. I paused, looking left then right. Still no sign of him in the darkness. I blinked, flicking to the infrared of my vampire vision, but the night remained devoid of the heat of life.

Which I guess, if he was dead, made total sense.

I followed my nose and headed left. Down at the end of the street was a gate and, beyond that, huge towers of paper and plastic. A recycling plant, obviously.

But why would a dead guy want to go to a recycling plant? It couldn't be an effort to get rid of any sort of evidence, because if he’d been intent on doing that, he wouldn’t have left the mutilated bodies of his victims in easy viewing of anyone who happened to pass by.

So was this really some weird form of revenge killing, as Jack had surmised, or was something stranger going on?
I suspected the latter, but that might be just my pessimistic streak coming out. After all, fate had a way of ensuring shit always got flung my way when I least wanted or needed it.

And in the midst of moon heat, it was most definitely unwanted.

The scent swung right, drawing me onto a smaller street, barely big enough to get a truck through. The wind filled the night with a forlorn moan as it gusted through the many broken windows that seemed to dominate the buildings here, and the shadows became thicker with the absence of street lighting.

Not that I needed light, especially when the moon shone so brightly, but it still felt better to enter a street lit by lights than one without them. Especially when I was alone, and following god-knows what.

The thought had me touching my ear to turn on the tracker part of the com-link device that had been inserted a while ago. All Directorate personal involved in field operations, whether guardians or not, now had them. Jack and the other division heads shared a dislike of losing people, and the units gave not only an instant position, but also allowed communication if things went sour.

Of course, in my line of work, things going sour usually meant death. And, more often than not, the cavalry had been known to arrive far too late. So far, my brother and I had been lucky, but given fate's delight in throwing curve balls our way, I often wondered just how long it would be before she threw us the biggest curve ball of all.

Death wasn't something I really wanted to dwell on, but I guess when I was dealing it out myself on an almost daily basis, it was hard not to think about it hitting closer to home than my twin Rhoan and I might like. Especially when his lover, Liander, had barely escaped his final end three weeks ago.

I didn't want to die. I didn't want Rhoan to die, either, but the fact was, death would probably come hunting us sooner rather than later. There was no way around it. Not unless I wanted to become a vampire, and really, I enjoyed sunshine too much. I didn't want to wait a thousand years to be able to enjoy it again.

From somewhere up ahead came the slight rattle of metal. I slowed and listened intently. The sound didn't repeat, and the hair rose on the back of my neck. Something was decidedly off--something other than a walking dead man.
I moved into the deeper shadows, hugging the old buildings. The wind continued to moan, and the chill in the air seemed to be increasing. Or maybe that was just an amplifying side effect of the fear sitting like a weight in my stomach.

The street swung around to the left. Factories continued to line either side, but directly ahead was a high chain-link security fence. Beyond it was the recycling plant. I couldn't see my quarry moving through the corridors of paper, but logic--and the slight metallic rattle I'd heard--suggested he'd climbed the fence and was now in there somewhere.

And yet...

I looked at the building to my left. Like the other warehouses in this street, it was run-down and abandoned. Tin rattled on the roof and the wind whistled through the many broken windows. I could smell nothing out of place, and there was no sign of life-heat in the building--which in itself didn’t mean anything when I was chasing a dead man.

But he was a dead man with no apparent mind of his own, so he was obviously running into this area for a reason. Given he’d done a quick side-step last night to lose me, I was betting he was trying the same thing tonight. And I was also betting that he’d probably gone into the warehouse rather than the more obvious recycling plant.

However, if he was meeting his maker in that warehouse, why couldn’t I see them? Was it because there seemed to be no light source whatsoever in the heart of the building, or was there was something blocking it? Even though my infrared vision was far better than the night-vision devices used in the military, no infrared was going to work properly in utter blackness. Both the man-made devices and vampire vision needed some sort of heat or light source available.

If I was the betting type, I'd be putting money on the fact that something was blocking me. After all, a warehouse with that many broken windows surely wouldn't have a pit of blackness at its center.

I looked back at the fence. The scent trail and the metallic rattling I'd heard were both indicative of the fact that my quarry had gone that way. But I'd trusted those two things before and had lost him.

Perhaps it was time to trust my other senses, which were pulling me toward the warehouse.

Of course, my clairvoyance was often a nebulous thing that refused to be pinned down to any direct information. Jack and the Directorate magi he'd roped in to train me kept insisting that not only would it become stronger as time went by, but I would learn how to fully utilize it. So far, they'd been proved wrong. Although if my ability to see souls was part of my clairvoyance, then maybe they weren't so off the mark. The damn things were now conversing with me as easily as the living, although that was one part of the gift I could have done without.

The ice of the night seemed to intensify as I neared the broken building. I ignored the chills running down my spine, and followed the graffiti-littered wall until I found the main entrance. The door hung off one of its hinges and swayed slightly in the soft breeze. Beyond it was a tumble of glass, smashed boxes and rubbish. The air drifting out was rank with the smell of urine and unwashed bodies, suggesting this might have been a squat for the homeless, even though I couldn't see any life-heat within. Maybe something had chased them off.

Something that resembled a dead man walking.

I reached back to grab my laser, then turned it on and stepped inside, keeping my back to the wall as I quickly scanned the first room. A half-circular desk dominated the left side of the room, which suggested this had once been the warehouse's main reception area. There were two glass-fronted offices along the wall behind the desk, but there was nothing or no one hiding in either of them. Not that I could see or smell, anyway.

There were several doorways leading off this main room and, after a moment’s hesitation, I chose the one directly ahead. That's where the big blackness lay, and that's probably where I'd find my dead man--if my psi senses were right and he hadn't actually gone over the fence like my more mundane senses of smell and hearing had suggested.
Glass crunched softly under my feet as I picked my way through the rubbish, my laser held at the ready and every sense I had tuned for the slightest hint of movement or life. But there was nothing. The only sounds were the wind and my own breathing--which wasn't quite as steady as I would have liked.

The doorway led into a short corridor and, at the far end, a set of swinging doors. Two other doors led off the corridor itself, but neither of these was open. I hesitated at the swinging doors, flicking to infrared and searching the room beyond. Once again, there was nothing to suggest there was any sort of life--or unlife--laying in wait, but that strange blackness was filling it.

I went through carefully and quietly, catching the door with my free hand before it could swing back and clip the other door. The less noise I made, the better. I had no idea what lay beyond that blot of darkness, but I wasn't about to announce my presence any more than necessary.

The air in this room was still, untouched by the wind that played about the rest of the building. Despite my earlier confidence that the inner building had to have some light, it didn't. There were absolutely no windows or skylights. It was little more than a big, black metal box. A box that held a heart of deeper darkness.

I scooted to the right, keeping my footsteps light and my back to the wall. Though I still wasn't getting any readings from infrared, I had a sense that something was near. My internal radar for dead things was jumping. Whether it was my zombie or something else, I had no idea. I certainly couldn’t smell either the zombie or anyone else up ahead.

I reached the side wall. There were rust stains and small holes on the concrete floor--indications that machinery of some sort had once stood here. The smell of grease was prevalent, and a good inch of it coated the wall. It smelled faintly of age and rot, and made me wonder just what had been manufactured here.

Keeping a few inches between myself and that grimy wall, I padded along, listening intently for any sounds that might indicate I was getting nearer to my quarry. There was nothing. If not for the fact that my 'other' senses were insisting that something was near, I might have thought I'd lost him yet again. It was almost as if that black blot in the center--whatever it was--was sucking up all sound and motion.

I crept nearer. Power began to slide across my skin--a tingling, almost burning sensation that somehow felt unclean. I frowned, my steps slowing as the darkness in front of me seemed to grow--deepen--somehow. I reached out with my free hand, and felt an odd sort of resistance to my touch before it gave way. My hand moved forward, into that darkness, and became lost. I knew my hand was there, but I could no longer see it.

Great. I was about to walk into a black hole, and who knew just where I was going to come out?

I blew out a breath, then wrapped the shadows of the room around me, using my vampire skill to hide my body from view. I might be walking into a trap, but I had no intention of doing so in plain sight.

I stepped into the blackness. I might as well have walked into a wall of glue. It pulled at me, making every step a battle. I pushed forward, fighting the gluey blackness, until sweat began to trickle down my spine. Just when I was beginning to think the blackness might never end, I was free of it--the suddenness of it leaving me staggering forward for several steps before I caught my balance.

The darkness beyond the black wall wasn't as deep, meaning I could actually see again. Ahead of me was the zombie. By his side were two big, black dogs. Only I didn't think they were ordinary dogs--not if the scent of sulfur was anything to go by. Sulfur was the scent of demons. I'd come across it once before, when I was trying--with Quinn's help--to close down a demon gate. It had been guarded by a hellhound, and the bastard had almost torn me to pieces. I didn't fancy meeting two of them--not without any sort of weapon that would do them damage, like holy water and silver. God, it was tempting--very tempting--just to step back into the gluey darkness and disappear.

Only I had a job to do, and they didn't seem to be noticing me anyway. They were too busy looking upward, just like the zombie. I followed their lead. Above them, a gantry stretched from one side of the room to other--a rusting metal structure that seemed far older than the building itself. On it sat a crow.

And while it looked like an ordinary everyday bird, I doubted there was anything plain or ordinary about it, if only because whatever it was had the complete and undivided attention of both the hellhounds and the zombie. If it wasn't a shifter, then it was undoubtedly something a whole lot less pleasant, and I really didn't want to discover what. Especially with the bitter taste of evil that seemed to be rolling off it.

I raised the laser and pressed the trigger. The crow must have sensed the shot at the last moment, because it dived sideways--a very un-crow-like movement if I'd ever seen one--and the bright laser beam shot past its wing.

I fired again. It squawked and avoided the laser a second time, moving faster than I would have thought possible for anything not a vampire.

I swore and shot the zombie instead. The beam hit him neck height, severing left to right. His head rolled slowly off and made a wet splash as it hit the floor. His body crumbled and did the same.

I shuddered. Rotting flesh indeed.

I raised my gaze to the ceiling again. The crow squawked even as I sighted the laser, and the two hellhounds turned as one, their beady yellow eyes gleaming in the darkness and their thick canines bared.
The bird was definitely in control of the beasties.

I pulled the trigger, firing off a final shot at the crow, then turned and ran into the black glue. A howl ripped across the air, but the sound abruptly closed off as the blackness wrapped itself around me.

But I knew they were behind me. I could smell the thick scent of sulfur getting ever closer. It seemed the blackness wasn't quite the hindrance to them that it was to me, and sweat broke out across my brow as I realized that I wasn't going to get out of this before they were on me.

Then a hand came out of nowhere, wrapped itself around my arm, and hauled me none-too-gently upward.

Dani
April 3rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
Yay! It's here!! Okay, this is where we are discussing Deadly Desire since you've all been asking for it. *cough, cough, Christina, cough, cough* (Kidding hon, more than you have been dying for this, but you I can fun with more HugMe)

Anyway, back to the reminder to everyone. This is a READ AT YOUR OWN RISK area. If you have not read the book and don't want to know about it, DO NOT STAY HERE! I put it in all caps and bold so that everyone sees it and understands.

Now feel free to start talking! Tell us what you liked or didn't like. What made you angry or laugh. Now is the time to do it. Enjoy!! :biggrin:

Riley'sTrueSoulmate
April 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
I totally loved the book! I devoured it whole! LOL! The "special" made me all hot and bothered! This book's villains were kick-ass. Lots of Vampire casualties too. :( My favorites were the Kyley scenes! All in all, another good job, Keri!!

Dani
April 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I totally loved the book! I devoured it whole! LOL! The "special" made me all hot and bothered! This book's villains were kick-ass. Lots of Vampire casualties too. :( My favorites were the Kyley scenes! All in all, another good job, Keri!!
When you say Kyely are you meaning Kye and Riley by mixing their names together?

I have to say that those scenes were awesome! I loved the whole book, but why did her soulmate have to be Kye?!?!?!?

Riley'sTrueSoulmate
April 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Ding! *Hands you a cup of Instant Taster's Choice and adds a flavor to it* Yup, that's exactly what I mean. :drooling[1]::cool2: I know you like Quinn hon. Keri's cruel, that's why! :winkiss:

Dani
April 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
I thought so, that's why I wanted to make that clear just incase no one else caught the meaning.

Thanks for the coffee. Today I need it. And yes I know quite well that Keri is cruel to Riley (and us too), but contrary to what I say sometimes I wouldn't have it any other way. LOL!

DavidsGirl841444
April 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ok yeah to her finding her soulmate I know that she wanted it, but why him huh? Life is never truly fair to her. No offense Kye not favorite person honestly don't like him. Perferred if it were someone like Cole him I loved in this book. I so was there crying with Riley at the end. And Quinn whoa so felt for him. His were my favorite scenes especially in the fancy Wrens.

CharmedGirl
April 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
I loved the book. I finished it this morning.

DavidsGirl841444
April 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
what you like about it?

Dani
April 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I loved the book. I finished it this morning.
Like DG said, what did you like about it?

CharmedGirl
April 4th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I really liked her little flirting scene with Ben.

KeriArthur
April 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Ding! *Hands you a cup of Instant Taster's Choice and adds a flavor to it* Yup, that's exactly what I mean. :drooling[1]::cool2: I know you like Quinn hon. Keri's cruel, that's why! :winkiss:

lol. Just wait until you read what I do in Bound to Shadows!
Poor Riley....

:biggrin:

christinac
April 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
OMG what a great book! Applaud to Keri!
You know Quinn is still my main squeeze but I think we should give Kye a chance (hiding behind the couch waiting for things to be thrown :tt2:)
Neither of them want it but I think Kye is going to come back because he can't stand to be away.
Poor Riley one day she will be able to calm down from all the mess.
I can't wait for the next book!!!

Oh, I think we have two out of the three I wonder who the other one is going to be??

DavidsGirl841444
April 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Ok poor Riley whats that mean I wonder, how much hell is this poor halfbreed girl going to go thru.

christinac don't worry won't chuck anything that will hurt maybe *throwing pillow at the couch hiding behind* hehe

Dani
April 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
lol. Just wait until you read what I do in Bound to Shadows!
Poor Riley....

:biggrin:
You've already put her through hell, what more can you do? ...Oh wait, I remember you said something about Blake, Patrin and her mother making an appearance in one of the books (book 9 it think), so you can do a lot worse. Are you still going to bring Kellen back and have Riley save his sorry behind?

Dani
April 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
OMG what a great book! Applaud to Keri!
You know Quinn is still my main squeeze but I think we should give Kye a chance (hiding behind the couch waiting for things to be thrown :tt2:)
Neither of them want it but I think Kye is going to come back because he can't stand to be away.
Poor Riley one day she will be able to calm down from all the mess.
I can't wait for the next book!!!

Oh, I think we have two out of the three I wonder who the other one is going to be??
Personally, I think Kye is the one to hurt, but we'll see where he falls. I have another person for the one that will heal, but I'm a little chicken to put it up yet. I'm going to run it past Keri first. LOL!

KeriArthur
April 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
You've already put her through hell, what more can you do? ...Oh wait, I remember you said something about Blake, Patrin and her mother making an appearance in one of the books (book 9 it think), so you can do a lot worse. Are you still going to bring Kellen back and have Riley save his sorry behind?

Kellen's not coming back--I can't fit him into the story any more. Besides, Riley has more than enough heartbreak on her hands!

KeriArthur
April 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Personally, I think Kye is the one to hurt, but we'll see where he falls. I have another person for the one that will heal, but I'm a little chicken to put it up yet. I'm going to run it past Keri first. LOL!

I'm listening....smilies/1poke.gif

bec_star
April 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say I absoloutely loved Deadly Desire, I can't wait for Bound by Shadows. Fate sure gives Riley a hard time, but Quinn sounds so hot. :phone:

DavidsGirl841444
April 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Amen that Riley has enough heartbreak doesn't need another guy. Come irishwolf let us know who you think is the guy.

nightlife
April 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have to say that I enjoyed the book. I was first upset by the fact that she found her wolf soul mate but when neither of them wanted it I was relieved becuase I really want quinn and riley to work. I actually jumped when she admited to quinn that he was her other soul mate and did not want to give up on them. awe----

hollie
April 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
i still haven't managed to find time to read it but i will i'm not at work for 2 weeks so i'm hoping to get more reading done

christinac
April 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Alright Dani spill we want to know.....
(Looking from behind the couch..hehe):sofa:
I hope Kye shows back up!! :biggrin:
Can you give us a hint, Keri?

CharmedGirl
April 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I hope Kye shows back up!! :biggrin:

Kye must show back up if the blurb for the 8th Riley book that was in the back of Deadly Desire is right. And a safe bet would be that it is right. LOL

It says something about Riley having to make a tough decision between the man she loves (Quinn) and the man she destined to be with (Kye).

christinac
April 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
oh I can't wait.
I have to say this is the best series I have ever read!!!

DavidsGirl841444
April 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Agree with you on that one

Dani
April 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Kye must show back up if the blurb for the 8th Riley book that was in the back of Deadly Desire is right. And a safe bet would be that it is right. LOL

It says something about Riley having to make a tough decision between the man she loves (Quinn) and the man she destined to be with (Kye).
Lucky you. The US books don't have a blurb in the back of them.

KeriArthur
April 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I'll put the blurb up once Deadly Desire has been out a while--there's too many spoilers in it for those who haven't read DD.

and kye is one of the key players in bound to shadows. (kade and quinn are too. Liander and rhoan are more sidelined in this one)

Dani
April 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Cool, I can't wait.

Oh and while you're listening I'm going to PM you about my theory before I put it up here. Like I said before, I'm too chicken to put it up before hand. Laugh it Up fuzball

CharmedGirl
April 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I love the UK/Australian cover for Bound to Shadows Keri. It's fantastic.

RedPixy
April 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Loved it too. The last chapter especially. I thought I was going to cry for Riley.
..Oh and I'm glad it's Kye. That means she CAN BLOW HIM OFF (for the time being anyways and not in the literal sense gals)!! Hehe, we're all rooting for Quinn anyways. I hope her vampiric ways take over a bit and her soulmate becomes Quinn and Quinn only..but Riley's not Riley w/o her wolfishness (is that a word?) Any who...awesome book all around, I loved the Kye and Riley scenes too. I'm glad she kicked ass in it and was absolutly thrilled the next book is right around the corner.

**edit**It's funny that the Taster's Instant coffee was mentioned-I just tried it the other day...weird....looks over shoulder...

Dani
April 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Loved it too. The last chapter especially. I thought I was going to cry for Riley.
..Oh and I'm glad it's Kye. That means she CAN BLOW HIM OFF (for the time being anyways and not in the literal sense gals)!! Hehe, we're all rooting for Quinn anyways. I hope her vampiric ways take over a bit and her soulmate becomes Quinn and Quinn only..but Riley's not Riley w/o her wolfishness (is that a word?) Any who...awesome book all around, I loved the Kye and Riley scenes too. I'm glad she kicked ass in it and was absolutly thrilled the next book is right around the corner.

**edit**It's funny that the Taster's Instant coffee was mentioned-I just tried it the other day...weird....looks over shoulder...
He mentioned it because he asked me on IM what my fave coffee was and what I normally drink is Taster's Choice which is an instant coffee. It's better than most that I've drunk I can tell you that. LOL!

Oh, and for everyone, when I get back I'll post my theory of who's who in the three men in Riley's life since everyone's wondering. LOL!

CharmedGirl
April 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Oh, and for everyone, when I get back I'll post my theory of who's who in the three men in Riley's life since everyone's wondering. LOL!

I want to read your theory Dani.

christinac
April 9th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Yep Dani can't wait to here it
(still patiently waiting behind the couch wondering if I should get up and get some of that instant coffee:biggrin:)
:sofa:

RedPixy
April 9th, 2009, 08:28 AM
He mentioned it because he asked me on IM what my fave coffee was and what I normally drink is Taster's Choice which is an instant coffee. It's better than most that I've drunk I can tell you that. LOL!
It's the kind in the little individual packets right? Like the instant lemonade nowadays? It's good...a lot better than what I thought since alot of "instant" stuff doesn't taste as good as the individual. ANYWAYS..
...Why does the UK get a better front cover than the US? UK has a wicked kick ass cover...:smilie6:

Dani
April 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Yep Dani can't wait to here it
(still patiently waiting behind the couch wondering if I should get up and get some of that instant coffee:biggrin:)
:sofa:
Christina, I don't think that you're going to like my theory because of where I think Kye falls in it. He's hot, hot, hot, but that's about as far as I like him after this story.

My theory that I sent to Keri was this:

Kye - the one to hurt (it's already started too)

Cole - the one to heal (and this is a change for me since I didn't think that their short talks were much, but after this book I'm not so sure), but then again I have another person for this too and that's Ben because he's been through the loss of his soulmate and can (I think) help Riley through the trouble that will probably be caused by Kye

Quinn is a no brainer for the one to always be there and since we've already established this fact I'm not worried about it changing.

Soooo, there are my ideas. I know I could be wrong, but Keri said that I was on the right track and two out of three are correct. But that also doesn't tell me too much either because she could have meant that two of the new names I put out are correct or that one of the names and Quinn are correct. So, I'm still left wondering.

CharmedGirl
April 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a pretty good theory Dani.

And just maybe something happens to Kye...something bad and that's why Riley needs healing.

Riley'sTrueSoulmate
April 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'll put the blurb up once Deadly Desire has been out a while--there's too many spoilers in it for those who haven't read DD.

and kye is one of the key players in bound to shadows. (kade and quinn are too. Liander and rhoan are more sidelined in this one)

Woohoo!!! I totally love it!!! :notworthy:

Dani
April 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM

And just maybe something happens to Kye...something bad and that's why Riley needs healing.
That was crossing my mind too when I was talking to Karenne about it. I have some other things that I said about it as well that I have saved to post later. I want to see others opinions before I say any more.

CharmedGirl
April 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
That was crossing my mind too when I was talking to Karenne about it. I have some other things that I said about it as well that I have saved to post later. I want to see others opinions before I say any more.

Great minds think alike Dani. As for theories on what will happen with Riley over the next two books, I'll have to really think on that.

CharmedGirl
April 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hey, has anyone read Keri's blog lately? It says that she has a tentative title for the final Riley book.

Tentatively, it is titled Captured by Vengeance.

DavidsGirl841444
April 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM
ok i have been trying to get to her sight but its like its lost to me or something.

Oh and Dani i love the theory so loved Cole this book he's getting under my skin

christinac
April 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Dani I agree with you.
I was thinking that the one who heals would be Cole even though all they do is tease each other.
Maybe in the next book there will be this big scene that just blows our minds.

I don't know if I'm remembering this right but these three are Riley's soul mates right, or just men in her life?
If its soul mates then I couldn't see Ben fitting in because he has already lost his soul mate and don't think you can have another one.

(I've been reading so much books lately I have a hard time remembering some things, :lol:)

Dani
April 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
It didn't say soul mates, just three men in her life.

KeriArthur
April 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM

bad things do happen in bound to shadows.....and to more than one person

:scardey:

hehehehehehe

Dani
April 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM

hehehehehehe
I hate when you do this to us, but it's fun too. I just can't wait until Bound to Shadows come out. It's going to kill me until I can read it. This is the reason why I tried to read Deadly Desire slowly.

CharmedGirl
April 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM

hehehehehehe

Oh no...that doesn't sound good at all.

DavidsGirl841444
April 12th, 2009, 04:11 PM
yeah the hehehehe not reassuring especially bad things all around not to Quinn

christinac
April 13th, 2009, 04:45 AM
It didn't say soul mates, just three men in her life.

:sorry: Dani, My head gets a little out of whack sometimes.

You can never read one of Keris' books slow. There to good just want to read it till you know everything.

RedPixy
April 13th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I agree Christinac, no way could I read one of Keri's books slow. Like maybe in 3 days tops, but even that's when I have things to do. Lol.

christinac
April 14th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Same here usually when her books come in I make the time to try to sit down and read it all at one time cause thats how good they are!!!!

Dani
April 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
:sorry: Dani, My head gets a little out of whack sometimes.

You can never read one of Keris' books slow. There to good just want to read it till you know everything.
No saying sorry. It's a legit question when you can't remember. I even have to go back and look things up because I can't remember. LOL!

It's not that hard to read slow when you get interrupted all the time while trying to read. Such is life when you have kids and stuff. LOL!

christinac
April 15th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Dani, i know exactly what you mean I have a 22 year old b/f that is jealous of a dang book. Now tell me whats wrong with that!!:baffled:

Dani
April 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
A lot is wrong with that. I'd have to tell him to shove off if he were mine and that jealous. I mean, it's a book for crying out loud. What is a book going to give you that he can't?

Ummm, never mind. Don't answer that cause I already know the answer. LOL!

DavidsGirl841444
April 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
book can give it better hehehe

Dani
April 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
book can give it better hehehe
That's about it! Another plus, there's no whining or backtalk. Laugh it Up fuzball

hollie
April 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM
A lot is wrong with that. I'd have to tell him to shove off if he were mine and that jealous. I mean, it's a book for crying out loud. What is a book going to give you that he can't?

Ummm, never mind. Don't answer that cause I already know the answer. LOL!

Ok this is totally true we have a "friend" who will not allow his girl friend to read any of my books and he doesn't approve of the books i review. and he thinks that The Smurf is wrong to "ALLOW" me to. one day i will get her alone with my laptop and the file hotties i have that Paige Tyler and LA Day sent out the day they opened thier yahoo group Lusty Drool Smilie

CharmedGirl
April 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ok this is totally true we have a "friend" who will not allow his girl friend to read any of my books and he doesn't approve of the books i review. and he thinks that The Smurf is wrong to "ALLOW" me to. one day i will get her alone with my laptop and the file hotties i have that Paige Tyler and LA Day sent out the day they opened thier yahoo group Lusty Drool Smilie

That's just wrong. If my boyfriend stopped me from reading the sorts of books I read, I'd tell him where to go. LOL

Dani
April 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
OMG! I'd kill him! There is no way a man is going to tell me what I can and can't read. I'd enlighten her too if it were me.

RedPixy
April 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM
How crazy! I couldn't imagine being "banned" on certain books in my own home...talk about sneaking off to get a fix. Lol. That would so be me.
And talk about the book giving it better? Girls--if only if onlyLaugh it Up fuzball
Do they seriously have to wonder why we're always so neck deep in books?? I mean we can't help it if our imagination is VERY vivid...:biggrin:

readingbookfastreadingbookfast

hollie
April 17th, 2009, 05:52 AM
OMG! I'd kill him! There is no way a man is going to tell me what I can and can't read. I'd enlighten her too if it were me.

if i thought she would understand i would. I do have fun winding him up about it and now Jo has started helping and he really hates that she talks to us about sex and stuff they learn at school.

I'm really gratefull she feels she can talk to us thats a major thing with a 14yr old.

christinac
April 17th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Yep well it's crazy!!
But it hasn't stopped me!!
There is no way in heck I would stop reading my books!
They're :leph: (hehe)
He swears up and down if a vampire came to our house that I would drop him in a skinny minute!! :lol:

Dani
April 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
if i thought she would understand i would. I do have fun winding him up about it and now Jo has started helping and he really hates that she talks to us about sex and stuff they learn at school.

I'm really gratefull she feels she can talk to us thats a major thing with a 14yr old.
That's a definite biggie! It's good that she can and that you listen cause some parents don't want to hear it.

RedPixy
April 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
He swears up and down if a vampire came to our house that I would drop him in a skinny minute!! :lol:

I concur!!

DavidsGirl841444
April 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
with you christinac my man knows I would

lavagrl
April 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hey, guys.

I had the book read within two days of it coming out, but I never had time to get on here and keep up with the discussion. I just scanned what you guys have been saying so far.

One; instant coffee? Are you insane? Fresh ground beans that are kept sealed in the fridge all the way.

Two; on the theories about the three men, I'm thinking you guys are right.

My guess is Kye and Riley are going to try to avoide each other then Kye's going to be killed and Riley's going to track down the murderer with Quinn and Cole's help. Mostly I got that from the possible name of the ninth book.

And Cole's the only one who turns Riley down, which says something about him to me. He's not the casual guy, he's the one that wants something more then some hot sex with a gorgeous girl, and since he wants more, he'll see her for herself and not her looks, and fall for her as a person.

I like Cole if you haven't noticed. Don't get me wrong, I love Quinn, and if Keri kills him off, I'm not reading the books any more, but I think better of Cole since he can withstand Riley's advances.

Dani
April 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hey, guys.

I had the book read within two days of it coming out, but I never had time to get on here and keep up with the discussion. I just scanned what you guys have been saying so far.

One; instant coffee? Are you insane? Fresh ground beans that are kept sealed in the fridge all the way.

My guess is Kye and Riley are going to try to avoide each other then Kye's going to be killed and Riley's going to track down the murderer with Quinn and Cole's help. Mostly I got that from the possible name of the ninth book.

And Cole's the only one who turns Riley down, which says something about him to me. He's not the casual guy, he's the one that wants something more then some hot sex with a gorgeous girl, and since he wants more, he'll see her for herself and not her looks, and fall for her as a person.

I like Cole if you haven't noticed. Don't get me wrong, I love Quinn, and if Keri kills him off, I'm not reading the books any more, but I think better of Cole since he can withstand Riley's advances.
Okay, there is nothing wrong with instant coffee. My grandmother made instant coffee many times and put it in a serving/warmer container and everyone thought it was percolated and not instant. Besides, only two people in the house like coffee and neither of us drink more than a cup at a time, so having ground coffee like that would be pointless. At least until I can find one cup coffee maker cheap. :biggrin:

I like Cole too. He's a good man. I loved the way he rushed to Riley when she had blacked out at the warehouse and when he got her food after the spirit took over her body and she blacked out again. It shows he cares about her even thought there are differences between them.

DavidsGirl841444
April 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Go Cole love it

lavagrl
April 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Irishwolf, I agree with you on the Cole thing, but you will never convince me on the coffee one, but then, I drink about twenty to thirty ounces every morning so it's worth it for me to do the grinding.

MPlaymate
April 28th, 2009, 12:27 AM
yeah the boyfriend drinks coffee like a fish. and they do make 2 cup coffee makers plus ones that fill travel mugs!!!!

christinac
April 28th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hey, guys.

Dont' say anything about Kye dying off I kind of like him which I think I've already established! :biggrin:

Been busy with work so I haven't been on much! Trying to get things ready before I go on our wonderful trip to Florida! I can't wait 8 days and counting then we leave and spend 3 glorious days fishing in the Evergaldes and drinking at the Tiki Bar at night! Woohoo can't wait I'll make sure I drink a drink for everyone of you!!!!

christinac
April 28th, 2009, 06:35 AM
44 more posts to reach 1,000 I'm getting there slowly but surely!:biggrin: he he

CharmedGirl
April 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Dont' say anything about Kye dying off I kind of like him which I think I've already established! :biggrin:

I don't want to see Kye die either Christinac. I like him as well. But I don't want him to get between Quinn and Riley either because their relationship sort of seems back on track and I'd like to see where it goes without anyone interfering in it.

christinac
April 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I got ya Charmed Girl! I'm still a #1 Quinn fan at heart but Kye seems to be wedging himself in there too!

Riley'sTrueSoulmate
April 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I don't want to see Kye die either Christinac. I like him as well. But I don't want him to get between Quinn and Riley either because their relationship sort of seems back on track and I'd like to see where it goes without anyone interfering in it.

Neither do I! Then again, I want Riley, LOL. xxxx

lavagrl
April 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Been busy with work so I haven't been on much! Trying to get things ready before I go on our wonderful trip to Florida! I can't wait 8 days and counting then we leave and spend 3 glorious days fishing in the Evergaldes and drinking at the Tiki Bar at night! Woohoo can't wait I'll make sure I drink a drink for everyone of you!!!!

It's just a prediction. I'm not saying I want Kye to die, I don't, I like the whole bad boy thing, I just think he is going to die.

Dani
April 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Check the news for Florida because they were having one hell of a fire along Alligator Alley (aka I-75). I'm not sure what's happening with it now cause I haven't watched the news lately, but check on that.

DavidsGirl841444
May 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
no offense wouldn't mind him dying off but i doubt quinn that lucky

CharmedGirl
May 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
no offense wouldn't mind him dying off but i doubt quinn that lucky

Quinn deserves to have his luck change and get the girl. He's been there for Riley since the beginning, even though she told him to leave her alone for 3months he still came back. Which is good because some men just wouldn't have the patience to wait, they'd find themselves a new partner.

lavagrl
May 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Quinn deserves to have his luck change and get the girl. He's been there for Riley since the beginning, even though she told him to leave her alone for 3months he still came back. Which is good because some men just wouldn't have the patience to wait, they'd find themselves a new partner.

I did love that he listened to her when she said she needed him to leave her alone for a few months, but I do have to say the fifth book was my least favorite since there was no Quinn.

:leo:

CharmedGirl
May 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I did love that he listened to her when she said she needed him to leave her alone for a few months, but I do have to say the fifth book was my least favorite since there was no Quinn.

:leo:

Yeah I know what you mean lavagrl. And as I was reading the sixth book I was thinking when is Quinn going to be in it. If I remember correctly we had to wait over 200pages before he was in it. :err:

DavidsGirl841444
May 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
These books are great but greater with a little quinn in it

CharmedGirl
May 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
These books are great but greater with a little quinn in it

A lot of Quinn would be better. LOL

RileyQuinn13
May 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I loved this book a whole lot. *coughQuinncough* I just can't stand Kye, he seemed to me like a jerk. Anywho, I can't wait for the next book.

MPlaymate
May 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
yeah alot of good looking hunky males!!!!!!

lavagrl
May 9th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I loved this book a whole lot. *coughQuinncough* I just can't stand Kye, he seemed to me like a jerk. Anywho, I can't wait for the next book.

That's the appeal of Kye though. He's supposed to be a jerk. I do think the whole bad boy thing wears thin though, and that's why I don't believe him and Riley will end up together in the end, even if he is her soul mate.

arielle
May 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
i am so excited for next book in the riley series.
its noly expected that bad things will happen.
Like riley would say, "shit just hit the fan."

:]

christinac
May 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hey guys and gals I'm back! Well, Florida was a blast had a great time and did ended up drinking probably two drinks for each of you :biggrin:

I can't wait for the next book too
I'm happy that we don't have to wait as long this time.

Quinn15Loving
May 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Kellen's not coming back--I can't fit him into the story any more. Besides, Riley has more than enough heartbreak on her hands!

I agree with that!, you should give her a break... maby a chapter or two atleast.... please?.... well... i'm trying.... but love the books :D

Dani
May 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hey guys and gals I'm back! Well, Florida was a blast had a great time and did ended up drinking probably two drinks for each of you :biggrin:

I can't wait for the next book too
I'm happy that we don't have to wait as long this time.
I'm glad you had fun Christina!

I agree with that!, you should give her a break... maby a chapter or two atleast.... please?.... well... i'm trying.... but love the books :D
We've asked her to give Riley a break before, but it hasn't worked. Good of you to try again though. LOL!

Annetta
July 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I had gotten it (Deadly Desire) when it came out but I made a mistake and read some spoilers and just couldn't bring myself to read it. (I didn't want her to find anyone but Quinn.):scardey:
Finally I was stuck with a pulled back muscle and the book in my tbr pile and I read it!!! Now I cannot wait for the next bit of torture our girl and favorite vamp must endure!!! (I still don't like Kye, but he is growing on me.)smilies/beer1.gif

Riley'sTrueSoulmate
July 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Cannot wait for the new book to be out either! Speaking of, has there been a blurb yet?

Dani
July 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM
There hasn't been one yet that we know of. If anyone has seen one or heard of Keri posting one on her site or blog, please let us know. :)

DavidsGirl841444
July 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
She put up a couple of lines in her blog on her site

Riley'sTrueSoulmate
July 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Which are totally awesome, by the way!