PDA

View Full Version : What We've Learned So Far...

Tambra
April 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Hi,

I thought it would be good to go over what's been posted in the lessons so far.

Everyone is different, but this is how I write:

Get idea for hero and heroine.
Write hook sentence and the first scene or scenes.

The next day look over what I wrote and start to add in a few details of description, the senses.

Continue writing where I left off.
If I get stuck I stop and think "What If", this usually helps and I'm off writing again for a chapter or so.

Anyway, that's my process.

I'll post a bit of the sweet Christmas story I've got coming out this December.
I know it isn't Christmas but I just got this from my editor today.
It isn't perfect but maybe it will help you.

Tambra
April 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Remember this is in first edits and under my other writing pen name.
(all material in this course is copyrighted.)

Hugs,
Tambra/Keelia

Christmas of Hope

By

Keelia Greer

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Christmasville</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State></st1:place>
<o:p> </o:p>
“Stop, Daddy!” Hope Claus pointed at the window of the Holiday Café. “Hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows. Please.”
Nick Claus shifted the shopping bags and opened the door. My daughter is a professional shopper at five years old. I’m in so much trouble. A smile turned into a chuckle.“Great idea, sweetheart.”
A petite woman with mid-length light brown hair stepped from behind the counter. She lowered to one knee and held her arms open for a hug. “Hope!”
Hope took off running and kissed her on the cheek.. “Daddy, this is my kindergarten teacher, Miss Linette.
A small grin tugged the corner of his mouth. So this is the famous Miss Linette my daughter had to buy the perfect Christmas present for. He studied the woman as she interacted with his little girl. Long ago he’d dreamed of someone like her. Pretty without wearing tons of makeup, intelligent and a way with kids.
Hope’s present for her teacher, Santa kneeling in front of the manger of the Christ child. Now that he’d actually seen Miss Linette, the background of the gift shook him—a blonde haired father and daughter and a woman with light brown hair, hair similar to Miss. Linette’s.
He studied his child’s teacher. Linette MacGregor cuddled Hope close, her attention focused solely on his daughter.
Deep inside something warm stirred in his heart. Love at first sight? He’d scoffed at the notion over the years, but now, he admitted he might have been hasty in his assumption. A slow, but through investigation was needed later on. The how and why she’d had suddenly claimed his interest. He couldn’t remember when this had ever happened. How long has it been since I dated anyone? The thought made him inwardly wince. That must the explanation.

Tambra
April 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Monday, I'll post information on writing synopsis and query letters.
Yep, more stuff for y'all.

Have a great holiday!

Hugs,
Tambra

CharmedGirl
April 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I love the excerpt for your Christmas book Tambra.

crim101
April 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Great lessons Tambra. Thanks for letting me look in. Descriptive writing is what gets me. I am not very good at it. I look at something, a room, and then try to describe it. I have a hard time with it because I skim a lot when I am reading. Of course, I could blame it on menopause, memory goes, you lose words. Hey That's it. Kidding aside its been really hard for me to do this.
A way to express what we want the reader to know , we need to show the reader, bring the reader into the book. You can't do that if you keep telling the story, then the reader is an outsider. So any tricks to doing this?
Thanks,
Jo Anne

Tambra
April 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Jo Anne,

This is from Description and Setting by Ron Rozelle says in chapter two the writer needs to learn to pay attention, a harvester of detail.

Tambra's tip:
You can keep a stack of note cards with a sense on each one. Or notebook whatever you like.

Example: Under Smell list words that elicit this sense.
Sweet-vanilla glaze mixing with cinnamon,
Stinky-garbage, rotting food-old mayonnaise, scraps of fish, urine (from the homeless),
Sound: The squeak of mice/rats, laughter of a baby, squeal of delight from a toddler, the rich timber of a man's sensual chuckle

You get the idea. Add to the cards whenever you think of something. You can can keep these beside your computer or in your purse if you're going someplace where you'll have to wait.

You can add people as a category:
Skin: old, thin, wrinkled, paper thin
Glowing (pregnant mother or youth)
Smooth, ivory, tanned

The description is specific, not general. The words in description are concrete. Here are some general words like awful, scary, delicious are not concrete enough for writing. Instead use words like: my shoes stuck to the floor and the odor of old pizza filled the air.

Description is experienced through the main character. A certain smell or object may trigger something from the past.

Just a note here ,but you can overdo description.
Look at your favorite books. Study how the author describes the room, the atmosphere. He/she should give enough for you to visualize it in your mind, but not so much that it stops the flow of the scene.

Does this help?

Hugs,
Tambra

Tambra
April 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hi Charmedgirl,

Thanks so much! Once I polish it up, the story will be a sweet read.

Hugs,
Tambra

srpolansky
April 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
What an adorable story-can't wait to read the rest. I'll try to catch up. Had to have my kitty, Isis put down. Been a bit out of sorts.
Sheila

Tambra
April 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Sheila,

So sorry about your kitty. ((hugs)) Losing a pet is difficult.

Tambra