PDA

View Full Version : In The Works

denisepatrick
April 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I want to be optimistic and start a separate thread for each of my current WIPs - assuming that they will eventually be published, but I'm not quite that brave. Instead, I thought I could at least let you know what I'm working on and where I am. So, here's the current update:

The Scarred Heir - this is my current Regency project. It is projected to be 65,000 words and will be subbed to Deb Werksman at Sourcebooks when it is finished. Why Sourcebooks? Because this is the manuscript that won my chapter's Golden Pen contest last year and Ms. Werksman was the final judge and she asked for the full.

This is my working blurb:
In 1816, Sarah Standish disappeared from her forced wedding to Lord Royden. Nearly two years later she is anticipating reaching her 21st birthday and returning to her home when an injured man is brought into the inn she has been living at under the guise of the innkeeperís daughter. Encountering Max turns her world upside down overnight.

Max Dayton is Lord Roydenís twin brother. Framed three years earlier for murder, Max has returned to see his ailing father. Discovering his father has no knowledge of the murder, and anyone else who might know disclaiming all knowledge, Max begins to dig for facts.

As he assists Sarah to find the truth behind her fatherís death, and investigates his own fatherís sudden illness, all clues point back to her uncle and his brother.

But, Lord Royden has a secret heís willing to kill to keep - even if the next victim is his own brother.

Caveat: One of my rules when I'm working on a new story is that I don't enter contests or send out partials until it is finished. I broke that rule last year and I'm paying for it. Both of the manuscripts I'm currently trying to finish have been requested based upon either a submission or a contest. Needless to say, that will NEVER happen again. More on the second story in a bit.

Dani
April 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Sounds interesting Denise! Can't wait to hear more.

CharmedGirl
April 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Sounds good Denise.

hollie
April 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
That sounds great i can't wait untill you can tell me more

denisepatrick
May 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Well, it's been ages since I've been out here. Note to self: get out here more often this year. I thought it was time for an update:

The Scarred Heir was rejected by Sourcebooks. No surprise, since they want books of 100k and it was only 67k. I have entered it in Harlequin's Historical online contest. I have to wait until June to hear about that, so it's in limbo. If it doesn't make it there, I will sub it to my current publisher.

In the meantime, I have started the sequel to it, but no name yet. I would like to come up with something soon. I'm already 7 chapters into it.

Family Scandals, the fourth book connected to the Gypsy Legacy series is still in my editor's inbox. If I don't hear something from her by the end of this month, I'll have to send her an email to find out what the holdup is.

I have started thinking through plots for a couple more books, both to be part of a series that began with Almack's. I think both the brothers in that story deserve stories of their own. We'll see if they pan out.

So, that's my latest update. I hope to be back here with more news soon, but life is moving at top speed lately and I'm just trying to hold on for now.

Dani
May 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I hope everything goes well for both books and your WIP.

denisepatrick
May 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks Dani. You are sooo good to me.

I've been out to town the past four days for my daughter's graduation - with no internet. So, now I'm trying to go back and read everything and play catch up. My email has imploded!

Oh, well, it wouldn't be my life if all was normal!

Dani
May 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Congratulations on your daughter graduating! :huepfen017:

I totally understand about the inbox imploding. Mine has done it many times. LOL