PDA

View Full Version : Moondock and my other books at Fictionwise

Jewel Adams
March 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
:whoohoo: You know, I always go and check my publisher's page on Fictionwise when I have a new release coming out, to see how it is doing. I went in to see what Moondock was doing, and very good news as it is in 4th place in the best selling list and it is its first day out :)
But what surprised me was that FIVE, yes 5 of my books are in the top ten best seller listing!
I usually don't go on about my books standing much, but this one really through me and I wanted to share such great news :)
I'm dancing LOL
Jewel

Anna Fallon
June 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
LOL jewel at one stage last week you basically were the top ten best sellers list. If it wasn't a single title of yours it was a digest with you in it.
Great to see

Linda L Lattimer
June 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Wow Jewel that is great news! Then again I read your stories and know they are great!

Linda

Dani
September 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
What are you up to now Jewel?

Jewel Adams
September 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hi :)
I'm here, honest, just a lot happening on the homefront.
I do have a new story out in the new Spellfire Moons2 Digest!

http://www.midnightshowcase.com/images/SFMoons2Cover2.jpg
Jazzirina Moonbeam by Jewel Adams
Jazz is searching for a safe refuge, what she finds in the Oregon woods is more dangerous than the silver thieves tracking her down.

Excerpt:

JAZZIRINA MOONBEAM<O:p></O:p>

By<O:p></O:p>
Jewel <ST1:place>Adams</ST1:place><O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>
The night crowded in on her and she wanted to cry. Never before did she fear the darkness. She looked up and wondered where the moon might be hiding. The clouds looked angry as they moved with ill purpose across the sky. Jazz knew she’d not see any welcoming moonlight this night.
A noise to her left made her nails dig into the tree trunk that hid her. Dare she look? Her heart beat drummed in her ears, she feared her pursuers could hear it. She mustn’t let fear rule, fear brought sadness and Jazz couldn’t afford to loose any of her power. Her eyes closed shut as the noise moved closer.
I can’t run or fly, they will see me. Every new course of action led to denial or worse, her demise. Why, oh why did they all have to be so greedy? She dealt with men’s lust for her silver her whole life. What did I do wrong that destroyed my disguise?<O:p></O:p>
If she survived, she would need to find another life, another identity. Jazzirina slid down the tree’s rough bark as she fought off the tears that wanted to escape. She scolded herself, knowing she didn’t have time for tears. That she fought to contain what her trackers wanted to take from her, felt rather ironic to Jazz.
“Hey! Moon Faer, down here.”
The small voice drew her fear filled gaze away from the two men scouring the underbrush on the other side of the creek. She looked around until the tiny movement caught her eye. A gnome?
“What else do I look like?”
The little creature stood there with his beard roughed up at her and foot tapping out his annoyance. “You would be taking my attention away from them!” She hissed out at the impertinent gnome.
“Don’t worry, I cast a spell on them, they see only a cliff where the creek runs. You are safe for now.”
Jazz took a deep breath to steady her nerves as she tried to allow herself believe in the gnome’s declaration. She nodded to him.
“You need to be disappearing, Moon Faer.”
She lowered herself down in to the undergrowth around the base of the tree to look closer at her would be rescuer. She kept her voice at a whisper. “I already know that.”
“Aye, and so do the likes of them.”
“So how does that help me?”
His brow rose over her sarcasm. “You ever hear of Spellfire?”
“No, what is it?”
“Not a what, it is a town in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><ST1:place>Texas</ST1:place></st1:State>, for beings like us.”
“Us, you are not a faer.”
“No, but us gnomes are hiding our whole lives, just like you be doing.”
She wanted to shake him for stating the obvious, but Jazz could see that he wanted to help her. “How do I find this place and why would I be safe there?”
He went on to give her directions to Spellfire. “You will find friends there and the town will help protect you.”
The hope of a safe haven made her swallow her sarcasm. “Thank you.”
“You best be off, my magic won’t hold them back much longer.”
She nodded and looked back at the two men still scouring the bushes for her. Jazzirina let her moonbeam blue wings unfold and she heard the gnome catch his breath. She looked down at him and smiled.
“You be worth saving.”
“I hope so.” Jazz wasted little time it taking off, she waved down at the barely distinguishable figure of the gnome as she rose higher into the night. She flew up into the dark clouds in order not to be seen. She smiled as she broke free of their darkness and into the brilliant moonlight above. The moon’s silver light danced over her wings, turning them bright silver as they sparkled under the refreshing stream of moonlight.
Jazz felt her energy coming back as every part of her being soaked in the moon’s power. She felt the tension between her shoulders and wings begin to ebb. Up here she was safe, but not even a moon faer could stay in flight forever. No, she would need to go back to the land below her and move once again among those she hid from.
She thought over a new identity, the new lies she would need to tell until she could reach Spellfire. Was there really such a place? Jazz could find no reason for the gnome to lie to her. She would need to find Spellfire. <st1:State><ST1:place>Texas</ST1:place></st1:State> was a long way from where she flew over now. He said she would find friends there, she did hope he told the truth. Jazz rarely allowed herself to get close to anyone, it made it easier to move on.
Even in her disguise, it proved difficult to hide herself completely, her hair still kept its white, nearly silver color with the light blue highlights. Thankfully, everyone just thought her to be a strange girl. When she stayed in the city, painting her nails dark and highlighting her exotic large eyes with dark shadows, they labeled her with the Goth kids. In the country she would need to tone down the darkness, hopefully they would still perceived her as only odd.
The tough girl attitude she developed became the worse lie of all. Jazz found it difficult to remember the girl she hid from view. One foster home after another, most worse than living on the streets, being tough proved the only way she could make it through each day. She longed to belong somewhere, maybe Spellfire would hold her answers.
She had only herself to blame this last time for her discovery. Those two men must have seen her when she went into the park to catch the moonlight she so desperately needed to replenish her strength. Her very existence came from the moonlight, without it Jazz would perish and living on the <st1:State><ST1:place>Oregon</ST1:place></st1:State> coast proved difficult to get the moonlight. She never should have tried to stay in this area with all its fog and rain, but she did fit in well.
Jazz sighed over the truth that now she must go back to land, the moon no longer shined as it dipped into the horizon. Thankfully, the clouds weren’t as thick as she moved through them to find a safe place to land. She saw a large forest area and headed to it, the cover of trees should conceal her. Jazz silently hovered in the trees’ concealing limbs, looking all around her as the woods lit up with the coming dawn. She saw many animals making their way back to their homes, none looked to be running from anyone. She waited a bit longer to be sure.
Her toes sunk into the damp, thick grass between two large redwoods. Jazz moved her neck back and forth as her wings once again withdrew from sight between her shoulder blades. She felt the tip of her ears recede, though still pointed they were normal size for a human. Her eyes were always large, there was nothing she could do about them, but she did wait for her skin to change into a creamy cocoa without the mist of silvery dewdrops.
She tried to straighten her blouse, groaning over the torn spots. “No shoes, I look like a bum.”
“More like a lost girl.”
Jazzirina spun about at the deep voice that vibrated through her delicate senses, ones that screamed at her in fear. “Oh, I didn’t realize anyone was here.”
He stayed leaning against a large redwood as his gaze traveled over her from head to toe. When his eyes moved back up their languid journey and stopped at the tear just above her breast, her fingers tried to pull it close.
“I live at the farm just through these trees.”
She didn’t look where he pointed, no, Jazz became more concerned about what he might have seen. “I need to go.”
When she stepped back, his broad shoulders pushed off the tree, causing her gaze to follow as his tall, solid body straightened out before her. Odd, she didn’t feel the cold tingles of fear moving through her that she expected. No, what she felt was a deep warmth of pooling desire filling her feminine being.
“Where are you headed?”
Jazz opened her mouth, then clamped it shut when she couldn’t answer.
“I have breakfast waiting, want some?”
He walked past her, so close she could feel the warmth of his body brush hers, almost as if he kissed her. She turned her head to watch him as he meandered down a path. The argument to run lost to the one that told her to follow him. She couldn’t say if she needed to know what he saw or what he didn’t. But Jazz took a step to follow him.
Tye reined in the urge to look back and see if she followed. He still wondered what possessed him to ask her to breakfast. Some stranger, no she was just strange, that wild look in those beautifully large blue eyes of hers must have hypnotized him. Or could it be the gentle seductive curves beneath that mass of silvery white hair stole his senses? They were both equally devastating to his male hormones.
He could hear her near quiet steps behind him. Whoever hurt her would pay. Tye shook his head over the angry thought that came as he remembered her torn shirt. He also caught the look of pure fear in her eyes, like a deer that knows the hunter has her in his sights. What was she running from?
As he walked up the porch steps, he hesitated at the door and pulled it open for her. He could feel her indecision, he finally let his breath out as she walked into the house. She looked a lot smaller in his large living room than she did under the trees.
“The kitchen is over to the left, there is an eating area on the other side.” When she didn’t move he walked past her. “I like to look out over the fields while I eat.”
He caught the tremor that raced through her elegant body, odd he thought for a moment that she shimmered in silver. Tye shut his eyes and opened them to clear his vision. The delicate bronze coloring of her skin looked pale beneath the lights, probably still afraid. “The bathroom is down the hall, second door on the left.”
Jazz barely turned her head to catch his handsome self out of the corner of her eye. “Thank you.” She did need to freshen up and give herself time to get her emotions under control. It seems that the man caused some odd reactions from her. She actually shimmered, she never shimmered in public. This man possessed something special, she could sense it but couldn’t identify what she felt. She leaned against the closed bathroom door trying to catch her breath.
“He is a diversion I don’t need at the moment.” Even as Jazz stated the obvious, the arguments for remaining in his house won out. The splash of cold water cleared away the fog in her mind. Jazzirina turned her face from side to side not liking the tiredness that stared back at her. “I’ll eat then take off.”
Her feet sunk into the plush runner in the hallway. She stopped before stepping on the shiny wood floor. I want to see him. He stood with his back to her, looking out over the land he so resembled. Those wide shoulders held a power she rarely came across in the city. The way his back slimmed down to his waist made her tongue wet her lips. She remembered how the air charged as he passed her in the forest, she wondered if he were dangerous. The answer came out in bold relief against the tight fit of his jeans down those magnificent thighs. Yes, she needed to fear this man, but not in the way she normally feared men. No, he could be dangerous to her as a woman, something she never faced before.
“The food will get cold.”
Her gaze rose but he didn’t turn to face her. So, he sensed her as she did him. Her senses fired to life as she walked across the room. The closer she came, the more awareness she felt. She swore she could see his aura and as she suspected it held danger within its light.
He moved so swiftly that Jazz nearly bolted. When he pulled out her chair, she took a deep breath before taking the offered seat. She felt the warmth of his breath on her cheek as he leaned over her.
“Eat, you need the energy.”
Jazz tried not to display her curiosity, but it became impossible when he took the seat directly across from her. She managed to pull her napkin into her lap unable to break the hold his gaze captured her within. Only when he dropped his eyes did she gain back any control, her hand shook over the truth of his power.
“I promise I’m a decent cook.”
With great difficulty, she pulled her attention away from him and to the food stacked on her plate. The delectable odors of hash browns and eggs flooded her once his hold over her disappeared. Her first bite led to the next and soon all Jazz could think about was the hunger she needed to sate.
Tye sipped his coffee as he watched the oddly beautiful creature devour the food. He wondered where she found room for it all in that delicate frame of hers. The wild mass of silvery curls seemed to amplify her elegant features. He liked how she kept it short about her face then pulled the long waves back, barely capturing it all within the cloth bow. If it were free to mold to her fine curves Tye decided she would prove even more a temptation than she already posed.
One of the reasons he lived out here in the wilds of the <ST1:place>Cascade Mountains</ST1:place> is so he could avoid people and the base temptations that came with them. His wood nymph went beyond the normal desires that usually befell him. Yes, she set a fire in his loins that made all prior sexual urges pitiful morsels.
“What is your name?”
Her chewing slowed over the question. She managed to swallow. Thoughts of not looking at him flash by as her gaze rose to meet his. “Jazzirina, friends call me Jazz. And you are?”
Good, he added spunk to her qualities. “<st1:City><ST1:place>Tyler</ST1:place></st1:City>, though Tye will do.”
“Thank you, <st1:City><ST1:place>Tyler</ST1:place></st1:City>. The food is great and I definitely needed it.”
He could feel the urgency inside her to leave and he wondered if his presence had anything to do with it. Before she pushed away from the table, he reached over and filled her coffee cup. “You best have some coffee before you go.”
“Yes, I must…” Jazz’s gaze jerked away from the cup to him in question. Did he just make her say that? Her brow rose as she studied him.
Tye smiled over the little minx’s intuition. So, you can feel me, interesting. “Where are you going to, Jazzirina?”
She didn’t answer him right off, continuing to stir her coffee. Jazz wasn’t sure how much to tell this strange, handsome man. “I am on my way to <st1:State><ST1:place>Texas</ST1:place></st1:State>.”
Of all the answers he didn’t expect that one. “You are a great distance from <st1:State><ST1:place>Texas</ST1:place></st1:State>, Jazz.”
She refused to fear him and she met his hard gaze full on. “I’ve only just started my journey.”
“I see, why <st1:State><ST1:place>Texas</ST1:place></st1:State>?”
His eyes actually danced in curiosity before her. “I have family there, they are expecting me.”
The fact she lied didn’t surprise Tye, he became more impressed by her boldness. “Did you travel all night?”
“Yes, yes I did.”
Her chin rose against his skepticism and he smiled. “Then you should rest a bit before starting out again.”
Tye was ready for her objection, her mouth closed without uttering a word. “The second door on the right is the guest room, please feel free to use whatever you find in there and get some sleep, Jazzirina.”
“I…I am tired, thank you.” Inside she ranted at herself as she moved to do as he instructed. She could feel him wielding his will upon her and she failed to rise above his decree.
Once she saw the bed she wondered if she didn’t need the rest. She could fly at night, it made sense. Maybe she just imagined his power over her. “It is foolish.” But her frown stayed with her. Her gaze swept the room, it appeared to be just as he said, the guest room. Jazz went to the dresser and opened the top drawer. Her finger moved over the soft satin nightgown.
Indecision ended once her hand closed over the garment, she laid it over the bed as she pulled her shirt over her head. Her nipples turned into aroused nubs as the cool satin slipped over them. “I wonder who this belongs to.”
Jazz shook off the thought, it wasn’t her concern, she didn’t know the man and had no intension of staying beyond tonight. Thoughts of the night and one compelling stranger brought her instant sleep.
<O:p></O:p>
http://www.midnightshowcase.com/Moons2.htm

Karenne
September 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Thank you Jewel! Looks like you have another winner!DiscoDancingCarrots

Dani
September 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
That's excellent Jewel!

Looks like I'm going to be investing in another book. :biggrin:

Linda L Lattimer
September 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Wow, Jewel, rubbing hands together, really looks great and thanks for the excerpt

Linda

Linda L Lattimer
October 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Jewel, are you working on anything at the moment?

Linda :)

Jewel Adams
October 8th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Linda :)
Unfortunately, at the moment my writing is on hold due to illness in my family.
I so wanted to get my book, Scarlet Raven out this fall, but I don't think it will happen. I will keep you posted and if I get some editing done on it, I will post some chapters.
I hope all is well on your end. What do you have coming out?
Jewel

Linda L Lattimer
October 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hi Jewel, hope all goes well. Hope your sister is doing okay. Have been working on my edits with Anna and Caro for Forbidden Love with Midnight, and it should be finished, hopefully soon. Getting excited about it

thanks for asking,

Linda

Dani
October 9th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I hope things get better for your family soon Jewel. Cheerleader

Wow Linda, looks like your busy lately. Good luck. :biggrin:

Linda L Lattimer
October 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks Iris, and I love your dancing cheerleader, too

Linda