PDA

View Full Version : Biting issues

Kimberly
May 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I am wondering if anyone in CTR land can help me! We have a 4 month old English mastiff named Diesel. He is an absolute joy except for the biting. He will lunge and bite at my husband and I. He doesn't really bother the other dogs in the house. Mostly it is just that he is playing,but it has to stop before he gets any bigger. I have tried everything I can think of from bitter apple spray to grabbing him by the nap of the neck in order to get him to stop. Any ideas?

Dani
May 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I'll ask my cousin and a friend to see if either of them know since both of them have dogs they've raised since puppyhood.

Do you give him rawhide bones or something like that to chew on? Maybe he's teething and that's why he's biting too. Also, have you thought about asking your vet for ideas? Most of the time they know of many ways to stop those kinds of habits. I know that they don't always work either, but it's worth a phone call to ask.

Kimberly
May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
We give him all sorts of toys to chew on. He has almost the entire Kong collection from PetSmart, plus a rope and Chilly Bone (to help with the teething). He just prefers us to his toys.
Diesel went in for his checkup a week ago. The suggestions from the vet are the ones I've been trying. They just aren't working. A friend of mine suggested biting his ear until he cries when he bites us. It makes him bite harder!
He is teething, we know that. But he isn't chewing on us, he's biting with his little needle teeth! I just don't want him to be a 200+ pound dog with a biting issue. I've never had this issue with the other dogs and we've raised all but one since they were puppies.
Thanks for the help.

hollie
May 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
i bit mine back she soon stopped just a quick nip on the ear it's the same theroy as smacking a toddler on the nappy it shocks them more than hurts

sabby07
May 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Kimberly,
give it a shot-it can't hurt. Maybe he is trying to learn his place in the pack? If anything bite him back but do it in your own home so the neighbors wont think you and the dog have a bitting problem (he he he)smilies/butterfly.gi

hollie
May 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
i have 4 kids and an other dog so i had to teach the pup that she was below all the kids in the 'pack'.
now she just bullies the other dog he's 3 or 4 times bigger than her so i figure he can hold his own

Kimberly
May 31st, 2009, 10:14 PM
The brat is still being a brat, but a little less so than he had been! I agree with IrishWolf, I think it is just a teething issue. He has, since my original post, lost about 7 teeth and the biting has lessened. We are back up to 5 dogs, but the girls just won't get after him!
I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. We don't have the two legged children, just the four legged furry kind. I panic sometimes because I don't want them to be bad dogs. I want them to represent their breeds in the best light possible.
I have added pictures to my album if you want to see the brat in question.
Thanks again,

maura
June 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
The brat is still being a brat, but a little less so than he had been! I agree with IrishWolf, I think it is just a teething issue. He has, since my original post, lost about 7 teeth and the biting has lessened. We are back up to 5 dogs, but the girls just won't get after him!
I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. We don't have the two legged children, just the four legged furry kind. I panic sometimes because I don't want them to be bad dogs. I want them to represent their breeds in the best light possible.
I have added pictures to my album if you want to see the brat in question.
Thanks again,

Glad everyone could help you. I am surprised your girls haven't put him in his place yet though, mine is the queen of the house. I will be checking out your pictures. Is the little monster in training yet, my GSD needed a job and school helped.

Kimberly
June 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I wish they would, but the only one willing to do so is our chow/collie mix. Our GSD runs and hides from him. Our Springer mix tries to ignore him and our other chow mix is having anger management issues! I am checking into obedience training this weekend, in fact. I know it will certainly do him some good. Diesel is calming down a bit, though, he and I rough house quite a bit throughout the day. I am his favorite companion which has its good points as well as its bad. He fell head over heels for our 19 year old niece over the last week. Wherever she was, that's where Diesel wanted to be! I'll let you know how the obedience training goes... for both of us;)

Dani
June 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Good luck Kimberly.

I did get to ask my friend (she raised dogs all her life) about this and she said to flick him on the nose (not the mussle, but the nose). It's very sensitive and she said that they usually get the hint after having it done once or twice.

Kimberly
June 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
The training was fairly easy with the girls. When our Rottie came along, he picked up things very quickly. So, I think we are a little spoiled. Diesel will be six months old on June 28th and because he is the size of our GSD, we sometimes forget he is just a baby. We are having a lot more of the AAWW moments now. He loves to cuddle and be loved, though I still can't turn my back for more than a few moments. He is into everything! Loves the brown paper bags from the grocery store. He has stopped chewing on inappropriate things (Daddy's underwear and socks, shoes) and goes to his toys when we scold him. And after reading some of my previous posts, he really isn't as bad as he sounded. He loves to kiss and get hugs. He especially likes to sit on Mama when she lays on the floor. He forgets how big he is! lol He is my constant little shadow and we love him dearly. He is just very... strong willed. I have to be stronger!

Dani
June 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have no doubt that he's a sweetie Kimberly. I think that we all look back on past posts and think we were too harsh (so to speak) about describing a person or pet when we're frustraited. It's just natural, so don't worry about it. :)

maura
September 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Know how that is, I have a very headstrong Bichon who tries my patience on a regular basis. The White Dog Company has some great bones for chewers.

destinyrae
September 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
If it is an issue where he wants to play, try taking away exactly what he wants. Every time he lunges, turn your back to him. If he doesn't get your attention, and that's what he wants, he'll learn that behavior will take your attention away from him. Maybe????

Kimberly
September 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
We just tend to forget that he is only a baby and he still needs to be taught. At 110 lbs. and almost 9 months, he is bigger than our GSD! A lot of his behavior is Diesel being a puppy. Though we do believe he has entered the terrible two portion of his life at this point!
The problem is Smurf at this point. He doesn't understand why I get on the floor and will roughhouse with Diesel. I've tried to explain that the girls ignore Diesel at all costs and he needs someone to play with. I will say Diesel respects me and my commands a heckuva lot more than Smurf's. The only person having issues with Diesel at this point is Smurf!! And like I've told him, it's his own fault!!

Kimberly
September 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thank you, Destiny! It's usually when Diesel and I are playing. When he does act inappropriately, I have been getting up and walking away from him. It has worked so far! He knows when we play and when it's time to behave. It's been so hard here since it hasn't stopped raining since the 9th of September. He doesn't really get to run off his energy. I've come up with all sorts of things to keep him occupied! The hubby isn't happy with some of them, but they aren't dangerous to the puppy, just messy!

maura
October 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
There is a great dog toy called the Buster Cube, that used to keep my Baron occupied. It is a big cube that you put kibble in. It can be adjusted from easy to difficult and is alot of fun. Also a marrow bone, sterilized-can be filled with spray cheese or peanut butter, that should keep him busy for a while.

Kimberly
December 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM
There is a great dog toy called the Buster Cube, that used to keep my Baron occupied. It is a big cube that you put kibble in. It can be adjusted from easy to difficult and is alot of fun. Also a marrow bone, sterilized-can be filled with spray cheese or peanut butter, that should keep him busy for a while.

Thanks Maura! We have a Buster Cube and he loves it. That and his Kong! Anything I can put peanut butter in keeps the Prince of Mischief and Mayhem happy! He is shaping up to be a terrific dog, he's just a little more headstrong than we were prepared for. Luckily, I'm more stubborn! LOL