PDA

View Full Version : reader reviews

cferncook
June 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Check out the reader reviews for paranormal thriller Wild Evolution at http://wildevolution.blogspot.com/
Also enter the contest for a book giveaway by going to muddymuttsacres.com and find the weapon used in wild dog attack in excerpt.
To enter click on 'contact us' and leave name and mailing address and answer.
Contest is open to all us residents.
The winner will be announced on the chat at coffee time romance 'secrets' on June 18th.

CharmedGirl
June 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Congratulations on those reviews.

cferncook
June 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I would like to announce contest winners: Tami and Val

cferncook
June 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
for anyone interested in the secrets please continue

cferncook
June 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Sometimes we cover our tracks because of things out of our control.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
When he awakens, the first thing he does is put the cooler in the back of his pick-up. For curiosity, he opens the cooler to check out his parcel. “What!” Slamming the cooler lid shut in disbelief. He walks back to the front porch and plops down on the steps for a moment to regain his composure.
After a minute or so, he returns to his truck. Gradually he lifts the lid and peeks in. This time he grabs the head by its hair and pulls it out of the cooler to get a good look. This is no head of a mutant dog; this is the head of a full-grown man.
With the head of a human man still in his grip, he marches to the barn to see what has happened to the rest of the mad dog he had killed the night before. A headless corpse lies where the body of the killer dog should be. The corpse is completely naked except for a fur belt around the waist. He drops the head, it rolls away coming to a stop against the body of his lifeless mare.
<?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> pulls the pick from the back of the headless corpse and pushes on the shoulder with his boot to roll it over. The almost naked cadaver is spread out before his feet. The fur belt tied around the midsection of the headless corpse bewilders him. When he stoops down to feel the fur of the belt it causes shivers to storm through his body. All of his senses are excited by the touch of the fur belt. He pulls the belt off the dead man’s body with such great force that the entire body flips back over.
Stepping back to admire his prize, he trips over the detached head. As he leans down to pick up the head resting against his slain mare, his thoughts turn back to his innocent animals that had lost their lives the night before. Unable to comprehend why he has the body of dead human instead of a dead dog; he attempts to erase last evening’s events and turns his attention to burying the dead.
<o:p> </o:p>
We continue on our path of lies to cover up the last one.<o:p></o:p>
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> closes his eyes and clinches his teeth to keep from screaming. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName w:st="on"><st2:title w:st="on">Dr.</st2:title> <st2:Sn w:st="on">Jackson</st2:Sn></st1:PersonName> dabs the remaining antiseptic with a sterile piece of gauze. “Did you catch the dog that did this?” <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jessie</st2:GivenName> holds the wastebasket out for the doc to drop the spent gauze into.
“I killed it.” <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> screams out from the sting of the antiseptic.
“Good.” <st1:PersonName w:st="on"><st2:title w:st="on">Dr.</st2:title> <st2:Sn w:st="on">Jackson</st2:Sn></st1:PersonName> waits for the antiseptic to dry a little before he lays on a clean piece of gauze on top of the wound. Opening a sterile packet of sutures, he continues, “Bring in the head of the animal so we can check it for rabies.”
“Can’t, I cremated the animal.” Lying to cover his tracks, <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> knows he couldn’t bring in the head of a human without being arrested for murder. No one would believe his story.

We just keep digging a deeper whole. <o:p></o:p>
"Ahha. So what else is news down at the sheriff's office?"
“Not much. Hey, I was wondering, did you get to meet the new physical ed. teacher from Grand County High?”
“No. Why?"
“I’m supposed to do a missing person report on him, but no one knows much about him. From what I gathered so far he was kind of a loner.” <st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> takes a sip of his coffee. “He hadn’t showed up for work the last couple of mornings. I got the landlord to let me into his apartment. Everything looks OK. As far as I know nothing seems to be missing from his apartment and his car is still parked in front of his apartment.”
“So.” <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> is still watching <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName> make her rounds, smiling at her when she turns his way.
“This is all I was able to get on him: His name is Ivan Sokolov, he’s a white male, 6’2”, 190 lbs, sandy brown hair, brown eyes, muscular, and 32 years old. No family in the area and no contact information in case of an emergency. The only interesting thing about him is that he was born on Christmas Eve.”
<st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> now has <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName>’s full attention: that’s the description of the headless man he buried. “Yeah…” <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> abruptly draws in a deep breath, sucking his own saliva down his windpipe causing him to rudely cough across the table when he tries to catch his breath.
There will always be loose ends to tie up.<o:p></o:p>
Lifting up the head to eye level for a close inspection; he still can not believe this is the wild animal he killed in self-defense. The scene of the ambush and the attacking jaws coming down on him are still fresh on his mind. This is not the head of that monstrous attacking dog that put him in a fight to the death.
Incriminating evidence is staring him in the face. There is no turning back now; convinced no one would believe his story he is compelled to move forward. He abruptly drops the head, realizing this would be considered evidence in his murder trial. Now more determined than ever to finish removing all the incriminating evidence from his property, he steps up the pace.
We drag our friends in to cover up our tracks.<o:p></o:p>
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> sits up straight, eyes wide open, eager to find out what the big deal is. “Why so serious.”
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName> stays put to hear Ramierz’s explanation.
“<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jack</st2:GivenName> has filed a compliant for criminal mischief. Someone spray painted his billboard with a derogatory remark.”
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> laughs out loud. <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName> gasps, “My word.”
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jack</st2:GivenName> grunts for all to hear. As the drama unfolds, the customers in the diner turn their attention to <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName>'s booth.
<st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> continues. “Spray painting graffiti is considered damage to someone’s property. This is not a joke. <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jack</st2:GivenName> thinks you did it.”
“You just going to go with what that old coot says? Where’s your proof?”
“Come on.” <st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> pulls out his note book. “You have had two public altercations in the last few weeks with <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jack</st2:GivenName>. First you shove him at the pharmacy and then you almost come to blows with him here a few days ago.”
“So. No one likes that old coot. I am not the only one in the county that doesn’t like him.” <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> becomes a little restless from the accusation and fidgets with the silverware lying on the table, twirling the knife between his fingers.
<st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> points to his fidgeting hand. “So where did you get that red paint under your fingernail?” <st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> makes a note of the red paint under <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName>’s right index fingernail in his notebook.
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> quickly moves his hand under the table. “I don’t think it is illegal to own red paint, do you?”
<st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> turns to <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName>. “You wouldn’t know anything about this, would you?”
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName> does quick glance in <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName>'s direction for guidance, he shrugs his shoulders. Her voice goes up just a bit and her voice squeaks as she answers. “Me, what would I have against <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jack</st2:GivenName>. As long as he tips well, I got nothing against him.” The usual customers at the counter laugh in unison to <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName>’s remark; it's common knowledge that <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jack</st2:GivenName> is a lousy tipper.
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Jack</st2:GivenName> defiantly clears this throat in protest to that last remark.
<st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> stands up and slips his notebook back into his back pocket. “I can see I am getting nowhere with this. I’ll just have to keep on eye on the situation.” With that said <st2:Sn w:st="on">Ramirez</st2:Sn> exits the cafe.
<st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName> whispers in <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName>’s ear. “You don’t think he has any real proof, do you?” <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Dan</st2:GivenName> shakes his head no. <st2:GivenName w:st="on">Angela</st2:GivenName> displays a nervous smile before heading back to the kitchen and her waitress duties.
Our lies never go away for good, they always come back to haunt us. <o:p></o:p>
It’s early spring in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Grand</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">County</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>, and the county is waking up from its winter hibernation. Spring is the in-between season, the ski season of the east side of the county has shut down and the summer camping season is still a couple of months away. This is what’s known to the locals as the 'mud season'. It has earned the name ‘mud season’ for a good reason; the winter snow has melted and is accumulating in any and all low lying areas. Huge puddles of muddy water are everywhere. Some puddles are big enough to stall out your vehicle when you drive through them. With little tourist trade happening, most of the businesses close up shop between the winter ski season and the summer camping season, making much of the county's small towns look like ghost towns.
Despite that, there are the brave souls that come during the off season just for that reason. They pretty much have the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Routt</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">National Forest</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> all to themselves. One quiet afternoon a call comes into the Grand County Sheriff’s Department dispatch from a couple that found a human skull. The call goes out over the police radio. “Grand 17”