PDA

View Full Version : Critique Partners - Want Ads?

Karenne
March 26th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Looking for opinions here...what do you think about starting an area in the Writer's Cafe that is sort of like a Critique Partners want ads...people could post what they are looking for and people who are wanting to become critique partners could post what they are looking for.

Okay ladies...tell me what you think!:tt2:

Illyria
June 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Is this like a being a book reviewer? :)

Karenne
June 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
No, it is more like....authors working together to improve their WIP.

Make sense?:teacher:

Lainey
June 4th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I love critiquing with a few people and yeah L-2 we talk about it on here all the time haha... but yes I do just for fun help friends and a few published authors critique their books and I belong to some critique groups though reviewing has helped because you see things you might not have before but no being a review is not being a critique partner.

Good suggestion though so you can match up the right person with the right author and they can see if they click and can make it work. Besides it cannot hurt to have it there for anyone that needs it. Especially if the work is almost finished and ready to go to publisher but you want an extra set of eyes to check and see how it seems to them before it goes off, that never hurts either. Good positive reinforcement of one's work is always appreciated.

Lainey

gincat61
June 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'm a little shy about critiquing others' works, but I think it's a great way for authors to see their work through others' eyes. I think that authors' offering critiques for synopses and cover letters would be a good idea, because I've read where some editors look at the cover letter and synopsis before they decide whether or not they wish to invest the time in their reading the manuscript.

annecain
June 18th, 2007, 01:30 AM
This is definitely a great idea. Barb and I have some great crit buddies, but we're always on the lookout for <strike>fresh meat</strike> folks who can give a fresh perspective on a plot sinkhole. ;)

rgraham666
June 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I'm not a lady. ;)

Lainey
June 20th, 2007, 02:26 AM
no that is ok Rob you do not have to be a lady .... we know you are male ...

But I like critiquing it is fun and I tend to get into the story and really can see and feel a character at times so that if something seems off or needs something a bit more I can say hey ... how about a bit more on this thing since it doesn't give us enough of it or that doesn't quite gel how can we work it so it comes across the way you want.

I do it for fun for friends and others in critique groups and friends of friends and authors and am always up to read a story and help critique it is not like anything major but true you as the author get to see it thru fresh eyes as you said and sometimes I know we bring in something you might have implied and we catch or something you did not catch but we did so you might expand on something and then it can have a new life again too... I know how it is if you read it too much too soon you cannot see it anymore... distance and time gives you a better idea of what you want or what you see NOW in a story so a critique partner can help with that. Hope that helps too.

Lainey

Linda L Lattimer
June 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Karenne, whatever you do, sounds good

Linda