PDA

View Full Version : Is it too much for a reader if a dog dies in a thriller?

destinyrae
June 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm currently writing a romantic thriller that is pretty edgy. I received some feedback that surprised me from an editor. She said that I would lose readers that are animal lovers because of a scene with an animal? Is that true?

I'm also an animal lover. I don't want to offend anyone. Honestly, it never occurred to me that it would be a problem. It's a work of fiction. It's not even like a movie where a real animal is needed. Still, the scene is pretty violent.

What are your thoughts?

Dani
June 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
It would depend on how it was written. Do you go into detail about the animal getting killed or does the person come up to find the animal dead? See, I'm not much on seeing an animal get hurt or killed, but then again I'm tender-hearted when it comes to animals. I can't say that reading something like that in one of your books would make me steer clear of your other books though. Charlaine Harris wrote about someone killing Sookie's cat (though she didn't go into detail about it either), but it didn't stop me from reading the rest of the book or her others either.

I know that some people get into the mentality that if you'll put it in one book you'll likely put it in another and that can be both good and bad if you know what I mean.

destinyrae
June 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Dani, I appreciate your opinion so much. I don't go into detail about the actual killing. It is a situation where you just find the body. But, I'm thinking of changing the story. I've received some very STRONG opinions on the subject!

Dani
June 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
It's sad that you've received such strong opinions to it since you don't see the dog get harmed, but that's the way some people can be. Good luck on getting it all worked out.

hollie
June 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Nora Roberts had a dog killed in Northen Lights and nobody stopped reading her books.
I think it's alittle over the top to take offence at finding a body in a thriller/mystery/horror type books. Are they saying it's ok to have dead people but not dogs. seems very strange to me.

Dani
June 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Nora Roberts had a dog killed in Northen Lights and nobody stopped reading her books.
I think it's alittle over the top to take offence at finding a body in a thriller/mystery/horror type books. Are they saying it's ok to have dead people but not dogs. seems very strange to me.
I thought the same way. I was going to write that everyone dies including animals. Unfortunately, that's the way it goes and no one can get around it. No matter which way it goes whether it's a person or animal, it's terrible when death happens. It didn't sound like this when I was going to write it earlier, but the idea was the same. LOL!

hollie
June 25th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I thought the same way. I was going to write that everyone dies including animals. Unfortunately, that's the way it goes and no one can get around it. No matter which way it goes whether it's a person or animal, it's terrible when death happens. It didn't sound like this when I was going to write it earlier, but the idea was the same. LOL!

well i can't speak for all reviewers but a dead dog wouldn't stop me giving 5 cups

destinyrae
June 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the support, Hollie and Dani. I appreciate it! I'm still not sure if I'm going to change that whole part of the story, but... Well, I can get creative. We'll see...