PDA

View Full Version : Chat With Jessica Inclan, Paranormal Writer, Among Other Things. Book Giveaway, Too!

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi, Everyone, Anyone, All Out There--

My name is Jessica Inclan, and I'm the author of two romance trilogies, the last of which started with Being With Him (http://www.amazon.com/Being-Him-Jessica-Barksdale-Inclan/dp/1420101129/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b). I also write women's fiction, and you can see all of that on my web site. (http://www.jessicabarksdaleinclan.com)

I'm happy to be chatting here today. I've been told to mention that chatting in here means you are 18 years or older, just in case!

I'm going to be chatting here today with you about anything romance, romance novel writing, writing, reading, and life, though I am sure you can offer more than I on that score.

I'll also be giving away four copies of my current paranormal romance novel Intimate Beings (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1420101145/ref=s9_simz_gw_s3_p14_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=11SQ7AAEWE9V3DPHXAJA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846), and a very precious and rare advanced reading copy of The Beautiful Being (http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Being-Jessica-Barksdale-Inclan/dp/1420101161/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_7), due out in October.

Here is how I plan to do that:

If you would like to be in the running to win one of four copies of Intimate Beings and the one precious ARC of The Beautiful Being, please send me an email with your name and mailing address to:
jbarkinclan@gmail.com (jbarkinclan@gmail.com)
At the end of the chat, I will draw names from a hat and send on your books in tomorrow’s post.
I will not add your names to my mailing list, but if you want to be on my mailing list, please go to hppt://www.jessicabarksdaleinclan.com and click on the Contact page.
As we go along, I will post an excerpt or two from Intimate Beings, and join in the conversation and answer any questions you might have.
Cal me a sap, but I love writing romance novels. Other than knowing yourself completely, which most of us don't, knowing someone else deeply is the best thing around. That connection is what drives me as I write romance.
What is it that either drives you to write or to read romance?
Or, contrarians out there, what pushes you away from romances?
Looking forward to some talk!
Best,
Jessica

hollie
July 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
:welcome1: to coffee time i wont be here for long it's nearly beed time here in the UK but i hope you have fun.

Can i ask is your contest open to people outside the US?

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, send me your address and I will put you in the hat (baseball cap, actually).

and you best go to bed! It must be late there.

Best,

Jessica

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Very exciting--so far I have Darlene entered in the book contest! How she found me, I don't know! I am a confused chatter, but thank you for entering Darlene.

Your odds are looking very good.

Best,

Jessica

DarleneP
July 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Jessica,

I'm in your class -- temporarily lurking because I'm a hundred miles behind, but am working toward getting in.
I had to break away from a meeting with my parents and a broker to be here for a while.

I must admit that I've never seen any of your books, but as soon as I can get to a oood bookstore (the nearest good one is at least 20 miles away), I'm going to check for them. I used to love to read paranormal romance, but I've switched over to suspense because tha's what I'm writing at the moment. I do occasionally go back to romance and catch up when I come across some books that catch my attention.

Since I've never done this before, I'm not sure if this will go through. I'm not getting much writing done because I have too many other obligations. But I keep trying when I can and hope to eventually get my suspense novel finished. I'm published in everything except novel-length fiction and am working on some Confessions stories when I can.

I'm loving the class so far, and I just wanted to come in and let you know I am trying to follow the posts. I'm always a couple of days behind, though.

Darlene

Jennifer-Gibbons
July 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Jessica,
Quick question: I just read a profile on Nora Roberts in The New Yorker. I'll be honest, The New Yorker was the last place I thought I see a profile on Nora Roberts! Do you feel that romance is being accepted more? Or is Roberts the exception?

DarleneP
July 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Jessica,

I tried to post a reply, but I couldn't get through and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I will get into your class, hopefully by the weekend, and catch up. I'm trying to work on a suspense story, but I did love to read romance, and still do read it occasionally.

I'm glad you're here. I just wish I could have figured out how to post because I have to go back to a meeting now.

Darlene

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hi, Darlene--

You are clearly more onto things than I am. I barely found the way to reply to you.

I'm glad to meet lurkers in classes, but I do hope you will emerge and I can read some of your work. But I will think of you there, reading the posts! And thank you so much for stopping by.

Best,

Jessica

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Jessica,
Quick question: I just read a profile on Nora Roberts in The New Yorker. I'll be honest, The New Yorker was the last place I thought I see a profile on Nora Roberts! Do you feel that romance is being accepted more? Or is Roberts the exception?
Thank you Jennifer for posting.

Nora is a force of nature. I read that article as well, and I could not believe how much she works, how prolific. I have read a few of her books, and I am amazed that she can keep coming up with new ideas. And have 170 or so novels out there!

I think that romance novels actually might save publishing. People are still buying them, even though the economy is going downhill, publishers selling fewer and fewer books. Romance, like anything, can be good or bad, written well or alarmingly not written barely at all.

But the heavy lifting is the heavy lifting! What is good will remain.

But great for Nora for getting in The New Yorker. So what that the NY Times will not review her!

Best,

Jessica

hollie
July 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hi Jessica,

I tried to post a reply, but I couldn't get through and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Darlene

You did post properly but we have a moderation system for all new members. we will approve posts as quickly as we can but it is worth it because it stops thoses horrible spamers

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Ok, Jessica, I think I may have figured this out - didn't realize I had to reister before I could write, but here I am :)

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know if my post is making it to you or not - I ended up in some other room, so may be giving them something to ponder!

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have been a Nora Roberts fan for many years, but have found that all of her books are pretty much the same; just change the names and places - but with your books, they take you on a journey full of surprises and that's what I love in a book!

Jennifer-Gibbons
July 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM
thanks for asking my question!
I also know you are starting to write non-fiction as well; do the two genres overlap?
Also are there any good books you'd recommend for this summer? Besides yours, of course.
:toot:

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Ok, Jessica, I think I may have figured this out - didn't realize I had to reister before I could write, but here I am :)
Karol--you are here! I will go through your questions. This was not a slam dunk thing, but here we are.

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Ok, here is a question - how long does it take the moderator to post our questions, or did mine go elsewhere?

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Wow! I'm here! :)

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
thanks for asking my question!
I also know you are starting to write non-fiction as well; do the two genres overlap?
Also are there any good books you'd recommend for this summer? Besides yours, of course.
:toot:
Hi, Jennifer--

Nonfiction is so different than fiction. For one thing, I can't lie when I am writing my story. So it has to be real. And I can't rely on the tools I've honed and sharpened for fiction. I've had to buy new tools. the writing is going much slower, and I have been writing a romance this spring and summer as well, so I often have to stop and think, What am I doing!

I am having a blast with The No.1 Ladies Dtetive Agency books. And I am almost done with Francine Prose's novel A Changed Man, which I am loving. I read all the Sookie Stackhouse vampire/mystery novels by charlaine Harris. And I loved Richard Russo's A Bridge of sighs.

So much to read and so little time!

Thanks again for braving the virtual world.

Best,

J

cannesmith
July 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hi, Jessica--

No, idea if I'm doing this correctly....

I'm in your class, too, lurking so far as I have a mountain of grading to do (shouldn't be here, either!)

I'm very curious about your move into paranormal romance and how it came about. Are you willing to share any of that?

Thanks!

Carol

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I actually have several questions for you - but you've probably answered these a million times: at what age did you know you wanted to be a writer, and what made you go with romance (though your romance novels have a certain flair that's missing in others)? After I read your first book, I was hooked, as were others I passed it around to.

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Ok, here is a question - how long does it take the moderator to post our questions, or did mine go elsewhere?
I have learned quite a bit in my hour and fifteen minutes here! firstly, they are trying to keep the spam bots away. Thus the need for approval. I relate to this because spam bots attack my personal web site on a daily basis-even though I have a captcha program to "capture' them.

But here you are! Thanks for coming to keep me company.

Best,

Jessica

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Do you find yourself being a critic when reading books by others, or are you able to actually enjoy and be entertained by them?

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I actually have several questions for you - but you've probably answered these a million times: at what age did you know you wanted to be a writer, and what made you go with romance (though your romance novels have a certain flair that's missing in others)? After I read your first book, I was hooked, as were others I passed it around to.
Hi, Karol--

I knew I wanted to be a writer when I was about 12. I was always a reader, and a book was the most special thing I could imagine.

I love love. It is such an amazing thing, sort of the biggest perk about being alive. Of coure, nature and hope and peace are great and important and wonderful, but I love love, and I want to understand that connection through writing.

Of course, romance novels have a task to get to that connection, so I love being able to spend time there thinking about it.

Best,

J

Jennifer-Gibbons
July 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
LOVED the Number One Ladies Detective Books.
Funny you mention Francine Prose; I'm reading her book about reading classics in order to become a better writer. I find that true. Great Gatsby was definitely a romance, along with English Patient, Romeo and Juliet, etc. Why is it, I wonder, that women are ghettoized in the romance genre?

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Do you find yourself being a critic when reading books by others, or are you able to actually enjoy and be entertained by them?
Well, Karol, I think that being an English professor is the thing that brings out the critic in me more than the writer in me.

English teachers are pains in the neck! We look for all that is wrong in writing.

I have to give myself permission to just enjoy and not think about things sometimes.

and the good news is that I learn about writing by reading. I see what other writers have done--their techniques and styles and topics. Reading is the most important step in writing, I think, and without it, how would we know what we wanted to write about!

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I have been an avid reader ever since I learned to read, and when I was old enough, I loved the love stories, too. I still do - I like non-fiction once in a while, but I usually like a book that's going to take me someplace I know I would never get to go, and your Believe books are wonderful for that! My problem is that once I get started on a book, I have it read in a couple of days - need to learn to pace myself, but a good book just absorbs you into it!

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I have been an avid reader ever since I learned to read, and when I was old enough, I loved the love stories, too. I still do - I like non-fiction once in a while, but I usually like a book that's going to take me someplace I know I would never get to go, and your Believe books are wonderful for that! My problem is that once I get started on a book, I have it read in a couple of days - need to learn to pace myself, but a good book just absorbs you into it!
Hi, Karol--

I know what you mean. It's like eating something so amazing--I want the chocolate to go on and on, and I don' stop until the bag is empty!

Thank you for your kind words about the Believe books. I had so much fun writing that world, making up all the fun magical elements.

I've always said that writing is a socially sanctioned mental illness--we think it's a good thing that people stay in a room making up stories. And that's okay by me.

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I actually loved my English Lit classes - probably the only one in the class who actually read the books (hahaha), but I never looked at it from a teacher's point of view, that they might not be able to read without analyzing.

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I actually loved my English Lit classes - probably the only one in the class who actually read the books (hahaha), but I never looked at it from a teacher's point of view, that they might not be able to read without analyzing.
Yes, we are dangerous to have around, we English teachers! Don't give us your shopping lists or we analyze them to death, looking for symbolism and meaning.

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I think you would be great a non-fiction, especially after reading Her Daughter's Eyes because that book was so much like a true story that could happen to anyone.

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
thank you, Karol.

This gives me the opportunity to direct all to my blog, where I do test out most of my nonfiction pieces. Many have started as blogs.

Check out my nonfiction attempts at Redroom (http://www.redroom.com/author/jessica-barksdale-inclan).

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM
You need to come to our BAM or Barnes & Noble and do a signing - a good reason for you to come to this area - LOL. I need to get myself a complete list of all of your books so I can see which ones I'm missing!

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have gone in and read your blogs, and yes, I laugh sometimes because you think a lot like I do!

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
You need to come to our BAM or Barnes & Noble and do a signing - a good reason for you to come to this area - LOL. I need to get myself a complete list of all of your books so I can see which ones I'm missing!
You are just lobbing me the softballs here, Karol!! Thank you.

All my books can be found (in reverse chronological order) on my web site (http://www.jessicabarksdaleinclan.com).

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I have always enjoyed reading a wide variety of books, and when I read yours, I felt something "special" about them, and not many writers get that response from me. You seem to have a certain insight to what you're writing about, and I can see you becoming the characters as you write them into the story.

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Ahhhhh, no softballs - just speak what I feel LOL

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I can throw some curves once in a while - LOL

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I guess I've always been amazed at how a writer adds characters, decides who is going to be what and then throwing them all together to make a book - do you ever have to re-think them and add or take away some of their storylines?

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I guess I've always been amazed at how a writer adds characters, decides who is going to be what and then throwing them all together to make a book - do you ever have to re-think them and add or take away some of their storylines?
Yes, often editors ask me to take things out and redo things. Once an editor asked me to take away a part of a character's story, something I thought was huge. It's hard to do once the story is finished, so I try to really look hard at what I am doing as I write, not wanting to add in something on a whim. though those whims can be amazing, too!

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I think the paranormal gives you an edge others don't have - what made you decide to go that way with your books? Are you interested in paranormal outside of writing?

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'm afraid I'd be my own worse editor. Whenever I'm writing a letter, especially like a scorching letter to the editor (in the newspaper) or some subject I feel strongly about, I always find something that I need to add or change, then finally have to leave it alone!

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I think the paranormal gives you an edge others don't have - what made you decide to go that way with your books? Are you interested in paranormal outside of writing?
I have always loved fantasy and magic--I loved Alice in wonderland and Through the Looking Glass when I was growing up. I love sci fi, and I love Harry Potter. So it felt natural to slip into a world I've loved as a reader and as a film viewer.

so often, I've wished that magic would happen and take me out of ordinary and often horrible situations. And now, I can allow that for my characters.

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I think it's so cool how you can write yourself into a certain time or place, live through your characters! I also love Harry Potter, have read them all and have all the dvds, so I understand about wanting to take yourself to another place. I like to be entertained by a book, but also like one that gives me something to think about.

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think it's so cool how you can write yourself into a certain time or place, live through your characters! I also love Harry Potter, have read them all and have all the dvds, so I understand about wanting to take yourself to another place. I like to be entertained by a book, but also like one that gives me something to think about.
I am very excied for the new movie, though my boyfriend refuses to go with me. the goodnews is that my youngest son will be home for a vacation soon, and he said he would go with me!!

Best,

J

DarleneP
July 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hi Jessica,

I made it back and actually found you again.

My story has gone through at least three variations (for many reasons that I won't go into here). I think (hope) that I have the right one this time. At least it's tying together better than the earlier ones. How do you know when the story is right? Is it an instinctive feeling, or do the characters seem to tell you?

My characters, too, are driving me crazy. They keep changing their minds about their roles in the story -- especially the secondary characters. But each time the story shifts -- it seems to become stronger. I keep hoping I'm not doing this wrong. They seem to keep adding layers that are making the story better. I want to start writing the story, but I'm just not sure it's right.

How do you deal with the confidence issue, and not being sure that it's safe to write the story and that the topic won't be too boring or too controversial?

Darlene

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I like this website - was looking around and didn't realize there were so many romance fans out there!

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I'll be going to see it, but Norm isn't a HP fan, so have to find someone to go with me! I'm amazed at the number of adults who are into it - it was my brother in law who got me started on it!

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I like this website - was looking around and didn't realize there were so many romance fans out there!
And Coffee time also does some great reviews. they've been kind to my novels, and I'm happy to be here on the site. Thank you for all your company Karol! I really appreciate it. Otherwise, it would have been a trifle lonely. And you braved the registration process.

Make sure to send me your address at my email.

See you on Facebook--that sure has been fun.

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm just kind of bummed that this is the last one - she needs to start a series based on their kids - I'm not ready for it to end!

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm just kind of bummed that this is the last one - she needs to start a series based on their kids - I'm not ready for it to end!
Well, at least we have this movie and one more!! The story will live on that way.

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Yes, the registration was a pain in the butt - if I had known I needed to do it, would have done it ahead of time. I'm going to take off and get some things done around here, but I've enjoyed talking with you! I'll see you on Facebook - I'm sure glad I finally started using it more!

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Take care and I hope I haven't bored you to tears - I know my questions or remarks weren't deep and enthralling, but you've been very interesting to talk to.

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, the registration was a pain in the butt - if I had known I needed to do it, would have done it ahead of time. I'm going to take off and get some things done around here, but I've enjoyed talking with you! I'll see you on Facebook - I'm sure glad I finally started using it more!
I likely should have made everything more transparent. But I am clearly not as savvy as I thought.

Facebook makes it easier to see my "friends" of all kinds, and it's been good to have an update on people that I can see.

Say hi to my favorite beach!

Best,
J

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Take care and I hope I haven't bored you to tears - I know my questions or remarks weren't deep and enthralling, but you've been very interesting to talk to.
No, you saved me. Thanks!!

Best,

J

Karol Barksdale
July 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I'll send you some sand - LOL
Take care and I'll talk to you soon!

DarleneP
July 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
For several years, I ended up doing a lot of critique work and editing for writers who all went on to become published authors (several are multi-published authors). And I got left behind in the dust (so to speak). I've often wondered if that was good training or if it was a waste of time at a point when I actually had time to work on my writing career.

What's the best way to find a critique group online? And to find good critiquers that you'd be compatible with. Due to major caregiver responsibilities, I can't travel to writer's meetings or conferences, so it's hard for me to find anyone to work with.

Have to head out on an errand, but I'm glad I finally figured out how to get back in.

See you in class, Jessica. I promise....

Darlene

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
For several years, I ended up doing a lot of critique work and editing for writers who all went on to become published authors (several are multi-published authors). And I got left behind in the dust (so to speak). I've often wondered if that was good training or if it was a waste of time at a point when I actually had time to work on my writing career.

What's the best way to find a critique group online? And to find good critiquers that you'd be compatible with. Due to major caregiver responsibilities, I can't travel to writer's meetings or conferences, so it's hard for me to find anyone to work with.

Have to head out on an errand, but I'm glad I finally figured out how to get back in.

See you in class, Jessica. I promise....

Darlene
Hi, Darlene--

One way is to get into a class that you like online (like the one I'm running right now--and folks check out this site (http://www.yosemiteromancewriters.com/6.html) to see what is offered) and meet up with folks willing to work in the online setting.

Many of my students at UCLA have met up that way and years after the class has ended, they are still working together--publishing as the go along.

so my advice is to dive into our class, and at the end, put some feelers out to folks, asking who is looking for a reading parter--or who wants to start up a critique group on yahoo groups.

I don't think anything in life is wasted, even it seems to have been something hard. It's all grist for the mill, what we use, becoming who we are. So how can we call it a waste?

Best,

Jessica

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hi Jessica,

I made it back and actually found you again.

My story has gone through at least three variations (for many reasons that I won't go into here). I think (hope) that I have the right one this time. At least it's tying together better than the earlier ones. How do you know when the story is right? Is it an instinctive feeling, or do the characters seem to tell you?

My characters, too, are driving me crazy. They keep changing their minds about their roles in the story -- especially the secondary characters. But each time the story shifts -- it seems to become stronger. I keep hoping I'm not doing this wrong. They seem to keep adding layers that are making the story better. I want to start writing the story, but I'm just not sure it's right.

How do you deal with the confidence issue, and not being sure that it's safe to write the story and that the topic won't be too boring or too controversial?

Darlene
Hi, Darlene--

I just found this in here buried!

I think that the confidence is about sitting down each day and writing. I wish I could tell you that I feel great about everything I've written or writing. I wish I could say I know it's good, but I can't really say that. What I know I have to feel is enjoyment. I have to feel that I am writing well--that I am engaged and involved with my characters.

If I start worrying about my agent and my editor or the fact that someone may not buy what I'm writing, I would give up. It's easy to get stuck there, in that horrible space.

so my solution is to not go there.

Instead, if I were you, I would listen to my characters. If they are talking to you, lisen to them and let them tell you what they want to do! they know things that we do not.

Best,

J

JessicaInclan
July 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks to all of you who wrote in and those of you who clicked in.

I enjoyed my time here at Coffee Time Romance!

If you read through these comments and need to ask me a question, please contact me through my web site (http://www.jessicabarksdaleinclan.com).

And I hope you can check out my latest novel, Intimate Beings.

Best,

Jessica