PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art

Amy Gallow
July 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
When Whiskey Creek Press release "A Fair Trader" in November, I will have thirteen examples of cover art with the name, Amy Gallow, emblazoned across them, even if one of them is a romantic short story in a monthly woman's magazine.
The first six, with Rocky River Romances, adhered to the company pattern, with only the color and the details changing, and I was generally pleased with them, even if I had little to do with their development.

Then came New Concepts, with their detailed cover art form, and my expectations rose...only to be dashed by the cover of "New Blood". Dan Skinner was the artist and I have no argument with his skill, but the cover had nothing to do with the book in any detail or generally. I pointed this out with some restraint in my first response, but the correspondence quickly grew acrimonious and none of it was with the cover artist himself. In retrospect, I apologize for comparing cover artists to saturation divers, but things were a little heated by this point. My one regret remains that I did not pull the book and allowed it to be released. It isn't fair to blame the poor sales on the cover, for I had indulged myself and explored the subject of the book with all my love for the complexity of life, a trend I continued in the next two of the series, where the cover art was more relevant, but the sales still disappointing.

Whiskey Creek Press introduced me to Jinger Heaston, who listens to what I have to say and works magic. Her covers for "The Widow-Maker", "Snow Drifter" and "A Fair Trader" are superb examples of the art.

Eternal Press have continued that trend, Dawné Dominique and Amanda Kelsey listened and produced a striking cover in which every detail is relevant.

I've been lucky.

Crystal-Rain Love
July 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I've heard a lot of not-so-good things about New Concepts so this doesn't surprise me.

I've seen two covers for my books so far and both times I was a nervous mess before opening those email attachments. LOL! A bad cover can just ruin the whole experience for you. I'll actually look at a publisher's covers before I decide whether or not to submit. However, Sapphire Blue Publishing was brand new and being one of the debut authors, I didn't have anything to go off of. I was so scared to see what they came up with, but they did the cover art sheet too and the first book came out fine. The second one... Oh, I love it. It was even better than my concept for it.
Now I anxiously await the covers of my upcoming books with Imajinn. It looks like they're doing something different with the covers released this year, the artwork is very different from past covers, so I'm really eager to see how mine is done.

I'm glad you're now seeing satisfactory results with your covers!

Amy Gallow
July 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM
My criteria for judging a publishing house is not primarily cover art, but editors; as they are the ones who fine tune my writing. Cover art might determine sales, but good writing brings readers back.

In the beginning, New Concepts provided Gari Haling as my editor and we developed an excellent working relationship and my learning curve went sky high. The last book with them,"Rachael's Return" received mechanical editing from their "editorial staff" (whatever that might be) and I lost interest.

Since then, I've worked with editors: Gwen Hayes; Ashley Lockard; Stephanie Parent and Diana Rubino; and learnt from all of them. Add people like Marsha Briscoe, Lisa Logan, Patricia Fuller, Diane Colman, Dee Lloyd and Diane Beer, all of whom have contributed to my development as a writer and I've been very fortunate in my choices.

It makes accepting the odd hiccup easier.