PDA

View Full Version : Historical Sweets

DanielleThorne
August 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Greetings:
I'm a Sweet Author member and author of two books, both sweet. One is a Historical adventure; I love history. My favorite genre to read is Traditional Regency--Jane Austen style. I love books with elegance and taste. There are so many great Historicals out there with sweet heat levels and I hope to see news about some posted here. Two great Historicals I have read this year so far are "It's Elementary, Dear Winifred" and a book called "An Unlikely Missionary"--an epilogue about Jane's Austen's Charlotte Lucas.
Share your great Historical finds!http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/images/icons/xreading.gif

ashleyludwig
August 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hey, Danielle

My first novel, All or Nothing, is an historical romance. It takes place in the American West - - a place of danger, excitement, where bandits roamed the Arizona mountain roads. My novel features a true to life bandit, El Tejano - who's famed, fearsome tag line "Todo o Nada" struck fear into the hearts of all who faced him. He was never found, but I had fun with my "creative license" - figuring out who he was...

Nice to see you here!

DanielleThorne
August 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Ash,
You're one sweet author I haven't read yet but I have been reintroduced to Westerns this year and it's been refreshing. That's cool you used a real historical figure. I like learning about real people and having that long time span to take creative license has to be fun to do as a writer. I'll look out for your current release.

Miss Mae
August 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Ash, not sure where you'd like to post the cover/info about that book since it fits inspy/western/historical. I'll let you decide! :)

Dani, her book was great. She roasted me with her descriptions of that hot, sweating desert! Ugh!

DanielleThorne
August 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Great setting. Deserts can be so opposing; hot, cold, bland, beautiful, peaceful, dangerous!

ashleyludwig
August 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
That gets a bit verbose, doesn't it? I like to think of my books crossing over neatly into the sweet category, as they're inspirational - not preachy?

Miss Mae
August 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I sure didn't consider it preachy at all, Ash. :) It held the right balance for me.

hollie
August 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
i don't tend to read american historicals i have a difficulty with the size of your country (i have no reference for it) but historicaly it seems even bigger i just can't visualise it and that takes something from the story so i usually avoid them

Miss Mae
August 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
You know, Hollie, I can totally relate to that. I find myself in that situation sometimes with trying to read about Australia, etc. I try to visualize it, but having never been there, it just doesn't seem as real somehow.

But for some reason, I can read and write about England. My 2 historical romantic mysteries are Victorians and deal with England. :)

Lynn F
August 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Oh I read a great historical series that took place in Australia
The Queensland Chronicles by Bonnie Leon

hollie
August 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
You know, Hollie, I can totally relate to that. I find myself in that situation sometimes with trying to read about Australia, etc. I try to visualize it, but having never been there, it just doesn't seem as real somehow.

But for some reason, I can read and write about England. My 2 historical romantic mysteries are Victorians and deal with England. :)

i must admit i'm really mean to authors who write books set in England i always think that if someone is going to write about my home they should know about it and be right. so when people get it wrong or presume things are the same as in america i tend to be hard on them especially when i'm reviewing a book.

Miss Mae
August 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hollie, my two books, "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" and "It's Elementary, My Dear Winifred" are both Victorian. I'm so relieved that my critique partner, Hywela Lyn, lives in England so she was able to make certain I had everything authentic! :)

DanielleThorne
August 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
That's only fair, Holly. And the reason why writing Regency (or trying to) makes me a nervous wreck. There are those little slang words, ya know,that we Americans just don't use and they are not in Regency dictionaries. A good reason to read our current/modern English Regency authors. Hm?

Tell me--what words or circumstances drive you nuts in American written English Regencies? I'm curious!

Joyce DiPastena
August 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm a sweet historical author, too, but you'll find my books listed under our Medieval/Fantasy thread, even though there's no fantasy in my books. (Well, except for the stuff I "make up" about my characters and the things that happen to them. Would you call that fantasy?)

Miss Mae
August 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hmm, maybe the "fantasy" was something I shouldn't have put on there. Certainly does NOT include dragons, etc. But I really meant for it to include medieval without it not sticking so much to "just the facts". :)