PDA

View Full Version : Name Your Regency

DanielleThorne
August 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Sooo...favorite Regency? If Jane Austen sounds too cliche, sorry! She set the standard! I'm looking forward to getting into some Georgette Heyer.

Miss Mae
August 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Yep, Georgette is great! :)

hollie
August 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
i like regency books but most of what i have read is set in the UK (it is what i know) i'm also luckily to live near York which has something from just about every era you can think of

DanielleThorne
August 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I prefer English Regency myself. American feels too pioneer or Yankee to me for some reason. :)

hollie
August 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM
that period and victorian had a big influence on English life my great grandmother was a very victorian london mother of 8 she had a big ifluence on my life and she died 3 years before i was born

DanielleThorne
August 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Great heritage. My paternal line is 100% UK (half English, half Welsh). Came over to the US in the 1860s/1870's.

JMCornwell
August 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
There are some wonderful American regencies from authors one wouldn't expect, like Andre Norton. She wrote several romances and many of them had a regency feel to them. They are probably some of her lesser known works, but I always enjoyed them. And she wrote romantic intrigues.

The Opal-Eyed Fan
Caroline (Regency) Although it's listed as written by Enid Cushing, Andre wrote it.
Maid at Arms (Regency)
Snow Shadow
Velvet Shadows
The White Jade Fox
Follow the Drum
Iron Butterflies (Regency)

My favorite is a historical romance of sorts based on fact: Imperial Lady. It's set in China.

DanielleThorne
August 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'll have to check those out. I do enjoy the Little Women era/setting; but as I've mentioned, I'm just a sucker for the English countryside and society.

hollie
August 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Great heritage. My paternal line is 100% UK (half English, half Welsh). Came over to the US in the 1860s/1870's.

my mum's mum is Welsh and my dad's family came from north england/south scotland area. and i know at some point my mum's dad's family where from ireland before they lived in London.

DanielleThorne
August 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Oh, really? Wish I could get that way. I'm a genealogist. I've had no luck getting into Irish records. There's just nothing easily available. I've got a ancestor who went from Ireland to Scotland--but I can't get past Glasglow. I'm fascinated by the task of research Scottish historical authors take on. I'm afraid I just can't get into the genre though--prefer my English. :)

karencogan@msn.com
August 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I, too, enjoy the Jane Austin novels. I like the emphasis on the characters and their reactions to one another. In my regencies, I try to have a bit of mystery as well as develop my characters.
Karen Cogan
Regencies (Avalon Books)
The Secret of Castlegate Manor
An Artful Deception
The Secret of Hollygreen Manor (coming soon)

:sleeping:(The Wild Rose Press)
The Mysterious Marquis

Megan Rose
August 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I'm a huge fan of anything by Nicola Cornick.

http://www.nicolacornick.co.uk/index.htm

DanielleThorne
August 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure I've heard of her. What are some of her books? There's so many good ones.