PDA

View Full Version : Where her heart is

Magdalena Scott
August 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0UIm2pYECnc/SgBterJvBfI/AAAAAAAAAv8/ZAfgq-uKXfU/S226/WhereHerHeartIs.jpgWhere Her Heart Is released this week at Fictionwise, and I've been very pleased with sales so far. It's still at a 15% discount, so if the blurb and excerpt interest you, come on over to Legend, Tennessee for a sweet read!

This is the newest book in the Ladies of Legend series.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSherri%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="date"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place" downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State" downloadurl="http://www.5iamas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Blurb
<o></o> Two years ago, Betsy McClain gave up on her husband and her hometown. She packed up her baby daughter and moved to the City. Now she's temporarily back in Legend, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1>Tennessee</st1></st1:state>. But when Betsy agreed to this house-sitting job, she didn't know her favorite room was being renovated, or that her handsome almost-ex-husband was the carpenter.

After his wife and baby left him, Mike McClain was forced to grow up. Now he considers himself Mr. Responsibility. LizBeth Ann soon falls in love with her big handsome daddy, who takes her for picnics and is her "date" for little girl tea parties. But though Betsy, with her big blue eyes and cascades of golden blonde hair, looks like an angel, she seems determined to treat him like the devil. How can they let go of the past so the little family can have a future?

Excerpt No. 1<o></o>
Early the next morning Betsy was jolted awake by a terrible noise. It took a moment to realize where she was. Could someone have broken into the house? She quickly locked the bedroom door, dialed <st1:date month="9" day="1" year="2001" w:st="on">9-1-1</st1:date> and reported a possible prowler. Then she dressed in jeans and a tee shirt. Of all things! She’d been able to keep LizBeth Ann safe in the city, and their second day back in Legend the house was broken into. A cold sweat formed on her forehead, and she looked down at her daughter who was still sound asleep, knotted in her portion of the blanket and clutching her worn brown teddy bear. [I]Innocence. It was heart-wrenching sometimes to see it, and to fear its loss. But—in Legend?

A few minutes later she heard a car approaching. When she looked out the window, a police cruiser pulled to a stop in the drive and a blue-uniformed officer emerged and disappeared under the front porch roof as he ascended the steps. There was also a beat-up maroon pickup truck in the driveway. Where had that come from? Then she heard men laughing downstairs, and she stomped down to investigate.<o></o>

At the front door were two handsome men. One was wearing a police uniform. The other, wearing ratty jeans and a brown pocket tee shirt, was none other than Mike McClain, LizBeth Ann’s father and Betsy’s almost ex-husband.

The two seemed to be enjoying their little joke, and didn’t notice Betsy until she stepped to within a foot of them.
“Oh! Mornin’, ma’am. Betsy? Huh! I didn’t know you were back in town,” the officer said with a quirky grin.

What’s his problem? She spared him merely a glance. “I’m just visiting, Matt.” She tried to pin his companion with a glare. “Michael.”

“Betsy.” He didn’t make eye contact, but looked at the top of her head.

“What in the world are you doing here?” she asked him.
He rubbed at the stubble on his face and sighed deeply.

“I’m working here. For Greg Andrews. You might also remember this is my home town.” Then he frowned and locked eyes with her. “A better question is, what are you doing here?”

Matt Branson held up one hand. “Uh. I’m guessing your intruder call is a wash, huh? Looks like I’m not needed here. That right?”

Betsy shot him another glance, then glared at Mike. “Well. I suppose. But thank you for coming.”

“It’s my job. ’Bye then. ’Bye, Mike.”

“Yeah. See you, Matt.”

The officer stole a last look behind him before closing the front door quietly as he left. Was he chuckling?

Great. Back home in Bubbaville. She took several deep breaths to calm her anger before setting the unexpected carpenter straight on just who was in charge here. But before she could form a word, he spoke.

“I guess you’re not an early riser, but that’s not a problem for me since I have a key. Hope you don’t mind the noise of this crowbar pulling nails. It puts some folks’ teeth on edge.” He walked to the library, and the screeching started again. He hadn’t seemed to notice—or care about—Betsy’s stunned silence.

She stalked to the library, picked her way over some refuse and stood near him, hands on her hips.

“You’re not going to ignore me, Michael McClain.”

He sighed, sat back on his heels and looked up at her. “I’m guessing you won’t let me do that.”

“Exactly. Why didn’t Dorothy tell me you were the carpenter?”

“Hell if I know, Betsy. She sure didn’t tell me you were coming to town. She just said a friend of theirs would be coming to Legend to house-sit while they’re gone. D’you think I’d be here if I’d known the friend was you?”

“How would I know what you’d do? How would I know anything about you? I never hear from you. LizBeth Ann never hears from you. I have absolutely no idea what’s going on in your mind, Michael. I guess I never did.” She turned on her heel and left, then spun around in the hall and looked at him again. “I suggest you call your employer and tell him to have someone else do this job. Heaven forbid you would have to spend a moment’s time with your daughter!” She pulled the second walnut pocket door with such force that it slammed into the first one.

“Hey! Easy with those!” she heard him yell as she headed up the stairs.
<o></o>
[I]Where Her Heart Is, ©2009, <st1>Magdalena</st1> Scott<o></o>
<o></o>
Available from Resplendence Publishing: http://www.resplendencepublishing.com/m8_view_item.html?m8:item=120-200-101-420-4<o></o>

And from Fictionwise: <o></o>
https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b92500/Where-Her-Heart-Is-/Magdalena-Scott/?si=0<o></o>
<o></o>
ELECTRONIC FORMAT. This title is not yet available in print.<o></o>

================================================== ============
WANT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE LEGEND SERIES? GO TO HTTP://WWW.LEGENDTENNESSEE.COM (http://www.legendtennessee.com/)

Magdalena Scott
August 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM
<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place" downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Excerpt No. 2
[I]Betsy is visiting her friend Midnight Shelby McClain at her shop, The Emporium. They have a brief time alone to talk while Midnight’s step-son takes little LizBeth Ann on a tour of the building.<o>

</o> “Well, this gives us a few minutes. Tell me what’s going on with Mike.” Midnight stirred her own coffee and leaned on the bar toward Betsy, her voice low.

“Nothing’s going on. He’s just there. Suddenly he’s there! All this time, nothing. No contact at all. I mean since the day I drove out of Legend.”

Her friend nodded. “I know.”

“If it weren’t for you she wouldn’t even know what the man looked like. That picture you sent? I always kept it in her room. Like you said, she deserved to know she had a daddy.”

“So…she recognized him when they met?”

“Yes.” Betsy sighed. “For a minute I wished she’d never seen the picture. But I know you’re right. She needed to have that connection with him at least.” She swiveled on the stool to make sure they still had privacy to speak freely. “You should have seen Mike’s face when she called him ‘Daddy!’ He was shocked, of course. Jerk.”

“Jerk? He said something?”

“No. No, I don’t mean that. He was fine. Really, he was quite charming—to LizBeth Ann, I mean. She’s fallen in love with him, of course.”

“And has he fallen in love with her?”

“I don’t know. I can’t say I’ve ever understood what went on in Michael’s head.”

“Hm. So, what about the change of men today?”

“I told him to get off the job. To have his employer send someone else to do it. Having him there every day is just too much. He has a key, for heaven’s sake!”

“And you don’t trust him with the house?”

Betsy stared into the depths of her empty coffee mug. “I don’t trust him with my daughter.”

Midnight put her hand on Betsy’s and her voice dropped to a near whisper. “Hey. Look at me. Is that really the problem?”

The younger woman’s blue eyes raised and linked with Midnight’s black ones. “Not entirely. I also don’t trust him…with my heart.”

<o></o>[I]Where Her Heart Is, ©2009, <st1>Magdalena</st1> Scott

Available from Resplendence Publishing: http://www.resplendencepublishing.com/m8_view_item.html?m8:item=120-200-101-420-4<o></o>

And from Fictionwise: <o>(15% off this week!)</o>
https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b92500/Where-Her-Heart-Is-/Magdalena-Scott/?si=0

ELECTRONIC FORMAT. This title is not yet available in print.<o></o>

================================================== ====================
WANT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE LEGEND SERIES? GO TO HTTP://WWW.LEGENDTENNESSEE.COM (http://www.legendtennessee.com/)
================================================== ====================

Magdalena Scott
August 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place" downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Excerpt No. 3
[I]Betsy has pulled up to Mike’s house for the first time, to pick up her daughter from visitation with her father. Although the neighborhood is nice enough, Mike’s yard is littered with piles of stone, and a rusty concrete mixer. She goes up to the house and knocks, angry that he has brought their daughter to this dump for the visit.<o></o>

[I]*****<o></o>

“Yes, thanks, I will step inside—Oh! My goodness!”

“What?” He spun around to look at her, a frown on his face.

“I just—what a nice place. You’ve done work to it, haven’t you?” Of course he had. The walls of the living room were forest green, the ceiling a paler shade of green with a ceiling fan revolving slowly. The narrow-board hardwood floor had obviously been refinished, and was shiny with polyurethane. A leather club chair and matching couch, low coffee table with such ornate detail work she wondered if he’d made it himself. She noticed the sewing rocker she’d spent many hours in with LizBeth Ann—a family heirloom that had been a wedding gift from Mike’s grandparents. The few other pieces of furniture were nondescript but seemed to be of good quality. The room was clean, well lit, and felt cozy. The stone fireplace on one wall, flanked by bookcases, added to that. Through the archway ahead was a pale yellow kitchen. Betsy had always wanted a pale yellow kitchen. Another archway to the right probably led to the bathroom and bedrooms.

“Yeah. I’ve spent a lot of time working on it. The place was a rental before I bought it. Some of the renters were pretty rough on it. I had to repair holes in the plaster. That kind of thing. And I put in the fireplace. Greg helped with that since I’d never done one before. Can’t use it yet, ’til the new chimney’s finished. Still working on that. The house is old—built in the late ’50s—but solid.”

“Well. It’s really nice. So, um, you’re building a stone chimney?” She remembered the piles outside.

“Chimney first, then the rest of the house gets a stone façade. Should look pretty good when it’s done, probably late summer.”

“I bet it’ll look like—” It will look like a storybook cottage. Like I always told you I wanted. A little stone house with a fireplace. Just for us.<o></o>

“Right. You don’t need to say it, Betsy. You know what it is. Probably think it’s lame.”

“No! Of course not.”

“I’ll most likely sell when I’m finished with it. What do I want with a storybook cottage?”

That night, lying in bed looking up at the skylight, Betsy thought about the little house. No wonder Marie hadn’t tried to dissuade her from going there. No wonder she’d given such explicit directions—twice. Marie had known that Mike worked on the house with Betsy in mind. She wondered, though, if he’d done it intentionally, thinking maybe she’d come back to Legend and he could win her back. Or had it been subconscious, creating the little house she’d always told him she wanted. Either way, it was touching.
She looked over at the day bed where LizBeth Ann slept. Here they were, in a lovely apartment they could rent for a good price as long as they wanted. And on the other side of town a lonely man lived in a darling little cottage he’d created for a wife who didn’t want him.
<o></o>

<o></o>>
Where Her Heart Is, ©2009, Magdalena Scott<o></o>
<o></o>
Available from Resplendence Publishing: http://www.resplendencepublishing.com/m8_view_item.html?m8:item=120-200-101-420-4<o></o>>
<o></o>
And from Fictionwise: <o></o>
https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b92500/Where-Her-Heart-Is-/Magdalena-Scott/?si=0<o></o>
<o></o>
ELECTRONIC FORMAT. This title is not yet available in print.<o></o><o></o>

Magdalena Scott
August 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
It's been a wonderful and crazy couple of weeks. Since WHERE HER HEART IS was released at Fictionwise, I've been thrilled with the book's sales ranking. Last night it reached the highest point so far--#95 in all romance. At the moment it is #123.

This is such an amazing thing for me, as a small press author, and one who doesn't have a lot of books out there. I'm so grateful to all the readers who are giving me a chance by purchasing this book. (If you've bought it, THANK YOU!) I hope readers are falling in love with my hero and heroine, their little daughter LizBeth Ann, and the town of Legend, Tennessee.

If you're interested in the buy page at Fictionwise, it's https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b92500/?si=0

If you shop at Ebookwise, go to http://www.ebookwise.com/ebooks/b92500/Where-Her-Heart-Is-/Magdalena-Scott/?si=43

My publisher's buy page is http://www.resplendencepublishing.com/m8_view_item.html?m8:item=120-200-101-420-4 (http://www.resplendencepublishing.com/101.html?m8:search)

Thank you for reading! And "Welcome to Legend!"

sabby07
August 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
These excerpts are great! Cover is beautiful

Magdalena Scott
August 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you for reading, Sabrina! And yes, I love the cover, too. :)