Okay, so I was cruising around look at Brenda Novak's new web site and I saw her section titled Dinner at My House and I thought I would share! YUMMY
Dinner at my house.
Join me for dinner....
......cyber dinner, that is. That way I don't really have to cook or clean. ;-) And you don't have to sit pressed between two of my five children, who could very likely spill something in your lap.
Brenda NovakHere is a great chocolate dessert that is really tasty as well as being low carbs. We were told to count the carbs not the calories as a way to control blood sugars:
Chocolate Cake Roll with Chocolate Mousse Filling
1/3 Cup Cocoa( I used Dutch processed Cocoa)
1/3 Cup water
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup splenda( I use more)
1/4 cup prune puree( I use 1- 2.5 baby food prunes
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cake flour
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons real or granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cocoa powder for rolling
1/2 cup cream cheese in a tub ( can use regular cream cheese softened and stir it)
2 cups whipped topping
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon powered sugar( I use Splenda)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, coat a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray, line with wax paper.
2. Dissolve cocoa in the water. Beat egg yolks with the splenda until thick( 3 to 5 minutes) add the dissolved cocoa/ water mix, the prune puree and vanilla. Sift 1/2 the flour over mixture( I never do). then fold or gently stir in with a spatula, do that with the rest of the flour( I pour it all in, LOL)
3. Beat egg whites until foamy add cream of tartar beating until soft white peaks form, add real sugar and beat until stiff(LOL) Fold or gentlely stir into batter. Pour in the pan, using a spatula to make sure it is level.
4. Bake for 18 to 21 minutes until the cake is springy to touch. Turn over and lay on towel( I coat the towel with splenda and add cocoa powder so the cake is sitting on the splenda and cocoa) Allow cake to cool for 4 minutes and turn cake over onto towel.
5. While the cake is cooking I make the filling. In a bowl I put cream cheese and beat until smooth(ha) ( I throw all the ingredients in at once) the whipped topping, cream cheese, cocoa powder, Splenda and vanilla beating until smooth.
6. As the cake is cooling on the towel I spread the filling over the rectangle cake and roll it up. Cover in plastic wrap and put in the fridge until you are ready to eat it.
As I am serving it I take Splenda, a little water and cocoa powder making a liquidy paste and pour it over the jelly roll Carbs= 24 grams Calories = 160