Reading: An Echo in the Bone
    Just Finished Reading: Writing my latest novel
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

revision Werewolves are Universal: a look at global names

Welcome to more on our wolfish friends,

One thing that drives me nuts is when someone tells me they love weres, which real means men. So let’s let’s start with the word history.>>
    “Word History: The wolf in werewolf is current English; the were is not. Werewulf, "werewolf," occurs only once in Old English, about the year 1000, in the laws of King Canute: "lest the madly ravenous werewolf too savagely tear or devour too much from a godly flock." The wer- or were- in wer(e)wulf means "man"; it is related to Latin vir with the same meaning, the source of virile and virility. Both the Germanic and the Latin words derive from Indo-European *w[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Eva/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]ro-, "man." Wer- also appears, though much disguised, in the word world. World is first recorded (written wiaralde) in Old English in a charter dated 832; the form worold occurs in Beowulf. The Old English forms come from Germanic *wer-ald-, "were-eld" or "man-age." The transfer of meaning from the age of humans to the place where they live has a parallel in the Latin word saeculum, "age, generation, lifetime," later "world.">>
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.>>

> >
    > >
    We have heard of werewolves and lycans but here are some other names from around the globe that show you just how ubiquitous the concept of werewolf is. Some are other type of animal shifters. I personally think this universal connection to animal spirits goes back to our first shamanic nature based religions. I think our consciousness is returning to our need to connect with spirits. >>
    American Indians: limikkin or skin walkers. Argentina: lobisón Brazil: lobisomem. , also boto, a dolphin that transforms into a boy, and a uirapuru, a little brown bird that transforms into a boy. Bulgaria: vrkolak Canada: wendigo or witiko Chili: chonchon, a witch that transforms into a vulture. China: Lang Ren Ethiopia, Morocco and Tanzania: boudas, a werehyena Finland: ihmissusi France: loup-garou, bisclavret Greece: vrykolaka, a word for werewolf which is used for vampires and sorcerers also. Haiti: loup-garou that can change into anything, both plant and animal. Iceland: hamrammr, a shifter who changes into what it has last eaten, and gains power by eating more. India: rakshasa, a shifter who can change into any animal it wants. Indonesia: layak, a spirit that shift into anything Italy: lupo manero or benandanti for people who permanently become wolves and fight witches in the underworld. Japan: kitsune, a werefox, also the tanuki or minjina, a wereraccoon, dog or badger. In general shapeshifters are called henge. Kenya: ilimu Latvia: vilkacis Lithuania: vilkatas Mexico: nahaul, a were wolf, cat, eagle or bull. Normandy, France: lubins or lupins Norway and Sweden: eigi einhamir Philippines: aswang, a vampire / werewolf. Portugal: bruxsa or cucubuth , a vampire / werewolf, the lobh omen and lobis-homems Russia: wawkalak or bodark. Scandinavia: varulv, ulv, ulfen Serbia: vukodlak Slovakia: vulkodlak South America: kanima, a jaguar-shaped spirit Spain: hombre lobo, lupino United States: many, an oddity being the wererat who is said to be common around the Pennsylvania area.
    > >
    European only list:
    werewolves, including Albania (oik) , France (loup-garou), Greece (lycanthropos), Spain, Mexico (hombre lobo), Bulgaria (valkolak), Turkey (kurtadam), Czech Republic/Slovakia (vlkodlak), Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia (vukodlak / вукодлак), Russia (vourdalak , оборотень), Ukraine (vovkulak(a), vurdalak(a), vovkun, перевертень), Croatia (vukodlak), Poland (wilkołak), Romania (vârcolac, priculici), Macedonia (vrkolak), Scotland (werewolf, wulver), England (werewolf), Ireland (faoladh or conriocht), Germany (Werwolf), the Netherlands (weerwolf), Denmark/Sweden/Norway (Varulv), Norway/Iceland (kveld-ulf,varúlfur), Galicia(lobisón), Portugal (lobisomem), Lithuania (vilkolakis and vilkatlakis), Latvia (vilkatis and vilkacis), Andorra (home llop), Hungary (Vérfarkas and Farkasember), Estonia (libahunt), Finland (ihmissusi and vironsusi), and Italy (lupo mannaro). In northern Europe, there are also tales about people changing into animals including bears, and wolves.

Tomorrow I will discuss lycanthropy and the werewolf craze in Europe during the Middle Ages
    Reading: LAIRD OF DARKNESS By Nicole North
    Just Finished Reading: WRITTEN IN BLOOD By Elaina Lee
    TBR: lots

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by evagordon View Post
    Tomorrow I will discuss lycanthropy and the werewolf craze in Europe during the Middle Ages
    Now THAT should be interesting! I'll be here tomorrow for sure.
    Renee Vincent
    Romance Author
    Website ~ Blog
    Friend me on Facebook, Twitter

For Discussions, Contests, & More, Visit My Coffee Corner Author Page
    Just Finished Reading: The Challenge by Serena Shay

Awards Showcase

Eva, okay, I admit my ignorance. I wasn't aware 'were' meant man. The things you learn.
    The term 'Were' has become so ubiquitous now I doubt the current usage will change, however.

You are so right about the rise in this kind of spiritual awareness.
    Savanna Kougar
    ~ Run on the Wild Side of Romance ~

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Savanna Kougar View Post
    Eva, okay, I admit my ignorance. I wasn't aware 'were' meant man. The things you learn.
    The term 'Were' has become so ubiquitous now I doubt the current usage will change, however.

You are so right about the rise in this kind of spiritual awareness.
    I agree, were is everywhere or is it everywere? LOL
    Reading: Superstition's Desire by Lisa Campbell
    Just Finished Reading: The Conqueror by Kris Kennedy

Awards Showcase

were is everywhere or is it everywere?
    -----

Too funny
    Just Finished Reading: The Challenge by Serena Shay

Awards Showcase

I agree, were is everywhere or is it everywere? LOL
    Yep, yips and howls of LOL...
    Savanna Kougar
    ~ Run on the Wild Side of Romance ~
    Reading: LAIRD OF DARKNESS By Nicole North
    Just Finished Reading: WRITTEN IN BLOOD By Elaina Lee
    TBR: lots

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by evagordon View Post
    Hey, evagordon...did i miss this post? Cause I was really looking forward to it, but it never came...did you start a new thread and I just didn't see it?
    Renee Vincent
    Romance Author
    Website ~ Blog
    Friend me on Facebook, Twitter

For Discussions, Contests, & More, Visit My Coffee Corner Author Page

Awards Showcase

Default Werewolf lore is posted

Quote Originally Posted by ReneeVincent View Post
    Hey, evagordon...did i miss this post? Cause I was really looking forward to it, but it never came...did you start a new thread and I just didn't see it?
    Hi, it's there. Called Werewolf Lore thread.