Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reading: An Echo in the Bone
    Just Finished Reading: Writing my latest novel
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

Rolling Eyes Werewolves and Wolves Today and My own series

Werewolves Today: Next to the vampire, today the werewolf is one of our favorite paranormal creatures, both in the horror genre and in the paranormal romance genre. Readers and movie goers are drawn to the werewolf. The poor man or woman who must succumb to the beast and or the sexy lover, with a secret.

Many of us who write werewolf stories do not worry about telling the same tale (tail), no pun intended. There is just as much uniqueness among werewolf books and movies as there are vampire books and movies. Here are a variety of werewolves we can use:>>
    · The ones that are cursed and can’t help doing what they do.>>
    · The kind that want to be werewolves or wolfen. Wear a belt or go into a shamanic trance to achieve goal.>>
    · The genetic variety. They come from a long line of lycans.>>
    · The kind that can shift at anytime or those that can only shift on the full moon.>>
    · The kind that turn into regular wolves.>>
    · The kind that are wolf-like but more monstrous in size or features.>>
    · The lycanthropes. They look more like a man but with a bestial head. Like The Wolfman.>>
    · Other shifters. I love books with lion and dragon shifters just to name a few. Plenty of shifter lore from around the globe to be creative.

>>
    Werewolf Movies for every taste: Today you can go see the Twilight series, Rise of the Lycans (Underworld Series), and the new movie Wolfman (which I loved). All three are so different in their take on werewolves but each enjoyable in their own way. There are even Television series such as the old soap Dark Shadows and the new British series Being Human that include a great werewolf character. I could go and on about movies and TV series about werewolves but better to chat instead of write about it.

>>
    Your homework: Your favorite werewolf movie and why?>>
    > >
    Wolves in Europe Today: After a long dark history of eliminating the wolves of Europe there is a movement to support their dwindling populations. Wolves were once considered evil and a threat to livestock, however now there is a desire to bring them back to reclaim their place in the environment. There are at least eighteen organizations in Europe from Poland to Great Britain, which support already existing or future reintroduction of wolves. Only a few European countries still have a substantial number of wolves. European persecution of the wolf has driven the few survivors into remote areas far away from human settlement. Biologists have gained some information on their numbers from radio tracking but not enough to determine an exact number. European wolves have managed to survive in remote mountainous and or densely forested regions. Wolves that have the misfortune of living near people, such as the wolves of Italy must resort to scavenging for food since there is an increasing shortage of natural prey. Many rural villages have open dumps where wolves feed alongside feral or stray dogs. Wolves will occasionally mate with dogs, and their offspring end up looking more like dogs.
    Wolves In America, the wolf population is helping the balance of nature by occupying the role of keystone predator. There is a growing movement in wolf education and in saving their habitat and packs from needless hunting. They remind us of our wild spirit.
    The Wolf Maiden Chronicles is my series and I’m proud to brag a bit. I have two out and one due out in print in March. More to come. Here is a bit about my universe.>>
    Since ancient times, the Lupercal Council has kept their people’s werewolf identity a well-guarded secret from man. They refer to their kind as lycans. The lycan shifts into a bear-sized wolf, bearing unique markings reminiscent of Maori or Celtic tattoos. The pack shifts during the full moon and are under the control of their alpha male leader. The alpha male and alpha female are not bound by the full moon and can shift at will. Lycans can only breed with their kind. The exception is the alpha male, which can only mate with human women known as wolf maidens. These human women bear the five-toed lycan paw print or mark of the wolf on their left hip. Female alphas are sterile but are the leading lycans governing the Lupercal Council. They are aided by selected men known as Lupercii who help inform the Lupercal of all human activity. In their religion they worship the Goddess Feronia. The romance in my stories revolve around the alpha male and the wolf maiden destined to be his life mate not just in this life but throughout time at each rebirth. There is much more detail, but this is it in a nutshell. In each book I capture the realism of the historical period and the story unfolds as a ‘werewolf historical’ paranormal fantasy.>>
    To start your journey you can start with Werewolf Sanctuary, a contemporary that leads to the ‘werewolf historicals’, however each novel is a stand-alone. Beast Warrior: Viking Werewolf is the second and takes place during the Viking Era. The third White Wolf of Avalon : Werewolf Knight takes place during Arthurian Times. Here are the book covers.

>>
    Find out more about my books and buy links on my website http://www.ravenauthor.com and for more wolf and werewolf lore follow my blog http://evagordon.blogspot.com

Please continue the discussion until February 17th and thank you for letting me share the wolf/werewolf seminar on Coffee Time Romance.

Feel free to contact me anytime. Until the next moon,

Eva

Just Finished Reading: The Challenge by Serena Shay

Awards Showcase

Eva, fabulous Valentine or Lupercalia blog!!!

I won't get to see Wolfman anytime soon, given where I'm located, right now.

However, my fave TV series is the short-loved Wolf Lake starring Lou Diamond Phillips.
    Savanna Kougar
    ~ Run on the Wild Side of Romance ~

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Savanna Kougar View Post
    Eva, fabulous Valentine or Lupercalia blog!!!

I won't get to see Wolfman anytime soon, given where I'm located, right now.

However, my fave TV series is the short-loved Wolf Lake starring Lou Diamond Phillips.
    Where are you living? I loved Wolf Lake and then it went off the air. I loved Moonlight as well and then gone! True Blood and Being Human when in season are fun.
    Reading: Superstition's Desire by Lisa Campbell
    Just Finished Reading: The Conqueror by Kris Kennedy

Awards Showcase

"Wolves will occasionally mate with dogs, and their offspring end up looking more like dogs."

Eva, Could you please talk about this a bit more? I know it's your last day, so specifically, I'll ask: Is there purposeful breeding of wolves and German Shepards (since they look the most like wolves)---or Alaskan Malamuts? or others?

Also, I'm sure people are leery of a neighbor having a dog/wolf breed. They're bad enough when you have a big dog. Do you know if there've been laws to prevent it? or to get rid of the offspring?

Also, are there cities in the US where this mating is more common?

And, even though the offspring look more like dogs, do they act more like wolves in that they are not as domesticated?

Thank you so much offering this class here. Even though I took it from you during your first HHRW class, I wasn't able to participate much. Thank you for all your time.
    Julie

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by rebelheart View Post
    "Wolves will occasionally mate with dogs, and their offspring end up looking more like dogs."

Eva, Could you please talk about this a bit more? I know it's your last day, so specifically, I'll ask: Is there purposeful breeding of wolves and German Shepards (since they look the most like wolves)---or Alaskan Malamuts? or others?

Also, I'm sure people are leery of a neighbor having a dog/wolf breed. They're bad enough when you have a big dog. Do you know if there've been laws to prevent it? or to get rid of the offspring?

Also, are there cities in the US where this mating is more common?

And, even though the offspring look more like dogs, do they act more like wolves in that they are not as domesticated?

Thank you so much offering this class here. Even though I took it from you during your first HHRW class, I wasn't able to participate much. Thank you for all your time.
    Julie

Hi Julie. Great questions.
    There is no real purpose to breed a wolf with a dog. There are so many fantastic domesticated dog breeds even some that look wolfish that make safer pets.

In areas where wild wolves exist there are matings between feral dogs and wild wolves. In Italy most of the wolf population is mostly wolf hybrid. These matings are a problem in keeping the wolf pure wolf.

Breeding and keeping wolf hybrids depends on the state. I have worked at two sanctuaries and many wolf hybrids are brought in when they become too much to handle. Many end up at sanctuaries, abused or put down. One owner who said her wolf hybrid was gentle had the unfortunate experience of being hamstringed (how wolves rip the thigh of their prey during a hunt). Insurance company may not cover the bite or mauling from a wolf hybrid. I am very diplomatic around folks who come visit the sanctuary because it is a very political issue. If one owns a wolf hybrid they must understand that one moment it will be a dog and the next moment a wolf.

As a biologist I believe a wolf should only mate with a wolf.

Awards Showcase

"many wolf hybrids are brought in when they become too much to handle. Many end up at sanctuaries, abused or put down."

That's so sad!

Awards Showcase

"If one owns a wolf hybrid they must understand that one moment it will be a dog and the next moment a wolf."

Like people who own exotic pets, but think that all it takes is a little TLC to tame it. Heck, even one of our cats, who is slightly feral, except for when my son is around, can be super sweet; but too much TLC and she'd just as soon scratch your eyes out. So you just have to know---don't get too close! Since we live next to a wooded lot, she takes care of the 'small critter' population. But she likes to be reassured that she's fed by us, even though her belly is already full. I guess cats have the advantage because they're little and not as threatening---though there are a lot of people (in the city) who have a problem with stray cats too. These people don't seem to realize that they're keeping the rat population down.

Sorry, I got on my soap box. It just really bugs me when people think that a certain animal will make a cute pet and then when it doesn't behave as they expected, the animals is abandoned or killed. Before the city moved where we live now (it used to be country), our neighborhood was a dumping site for unwanted litters of dogs and cats. So I guess I have an issue with that!
    Julie

Awards Showcase

"As a biologist I believe a wolf should only mate with a wolf"

I'm not a biologist, but I agree---keep the bloodline pure, or keep a wolf a wolf.
    Julie

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by rebelheart View Post
    "many wolf hybrids are brought in when they become too much to handle. Many end up at sanctuaries, abused or put down."

That's so sad!
    Beautiful, intelligent and confused animals.

Awards Showcase

Angry

Oh, Break my heart!

The other day, my DH and I were looking at the website for our local shelter. As we read through some of the stories, he made the comment, " All those animals were BETRAYED by humans they trusted."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast