TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up Vegetable Gardening with your Kids

Yes, I have kids. And they do help in the gardening and love it. So I am going to share some tips for success that I have found work and want to share with you.

Ensure that your child's first experience is a success!
    • Choose small plants that have already been started and not from seeds.
    • Older children (8-10) you can start things from seeds so they can chart the growth.
    • This will actually help with your science and biology (plant) teaching. Take advantage and share a little bit about sun, photosynthesis, and importance of water
    • Let kids do the watering. I use it as a great time to work on our counting. As the kids get older, I make them water ...to a higher number. Soon the little ones will start counting also.
    • In our smaller kids garden (which is a stand alone in a raised bed) I put in radishes (quick germination), carrots, a tomato plant, and a squash (because it takes a beating and keeps producing)
    • Get them out every 3 days to do the weeding and cultivating. That way it is not to much in their 'lives' and they will actually see something happen after 3 days.
    • Also, plant marigolds or panseys in the bed. It is brings in good bugs and the kids enjoy looking at 'their flowers'
    When your kids get older you can do other things. My older kids work with me in the large garden. But this is a great way to get them started. If you are just starting gardening with older kids...you can still start them off like this OR you can start them off in a seed pot instead of the 4 inch plants or you could do a combination of each.
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

I also have children and they love tomatoes so I got them the plants that were already started for them. I bought huge pots for them to plant them in (they all wanted their own garden and I don't have a huge backyard so pots it was). They love watering them and taking care of them. However, they don't share their tomatoes.
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Red face

That is wonderful!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

They like gardening so I figure why not. It keeps them busy and quiet for a few minutes anyhow. LOL

My daughter loves gardening and then helping out with the watering of the plants every day. She is definitely a little girl who doesn't mind getting dirty! lol.