Hybrid View

Default Blurb/excerpt from Mask of the Betrayer

What would you do if you realized you had just married a serial killer? Margot Montgomery faces this dilemma in MASK OF THE BETRAYER, BOOK ONE IN THE SEQUEL SERIES FROM WHIMSICAL PUBLICATIONS. Michael is the most complex character I’ve written about to date. What could possibly cause a sweet blue-eyed boy to grow up to become the most chilling serial killer in decades? Here’s a teaser:

When the whispers in the night, the whispers of her lover, are the whispers of a killer, will Margot escape before she becomes the next victim?

Deep in the foothills of Red Rock Canyon, a serial killer stalks. He leaves his signature—a skull mask on the corpse. But when the homicide cop realizes the crimes are the reenactment of a case never solved ten years ago--all fingers point to Michael DeVeccio. And when Margot realizes she is married to the killer, her life becomes a living nightmare.

Excerpt:

Reaching Carlos DeVeccio’s bedroom, she got a little thrill as old memories surfaced. Just a few more seconds and she’d fall into the arms of her lover. She smiled to herself. She had returned to Vegas for a reason. She was flat broke. But after tonight, Michael would be her ticket back into the lap of luxury. Then she’d be mistress of the manor once more. And more to the point, she’d have access to his billion dollar bank roll. With a devious smile, she shoved her way through the heavy mahogany door. Crossing the threshold, she entered the house of horrors. Carlos DeVeccio had been a real nut, one straight out of the books. But with her fetish for face masks, she loved his collection and had often come into his wing just to admire them. What a thrill it had been to have sex in the coffin, howling along with the werewolf. Some might think it a bit kinky, but they didn’t know what they were missing. Calling out to her lover, her pulse quickened a beat. “Michael, are you here yet, darling?”

That’s when she heard it, manic laughter coming from the final circle of hell. A slither of fear trickled down her spine, releasing a wild gush of adrenaline. Carlos?

She thought about the death of Lacy Diamond. Two Ninja assassinations were no coincidence. Sensing danger, she felt for her sword. It was gone. Panic soared through her. Where the hell was it? The laughter got louder and louder, moving in closer and closer. It seemed to be bouncing off the walls. She couldn’t tell from which direction it was coming. Just then, the bell in the tower gonged, thundering off the wall like cannon balls. Instinctively, she covered her ears with her hands. Where the hell was Michael? Evil eyes from the face masks followed her every move. She had to escape before it was too late. She couldn’t think over the loud gonging of the bell. Every few seconds, the werewolf howled at the moon. She screamed, although she knew no one would hear her. Disoriented by the darkness, she floundered about, searching for the door. Her arms swam in mid air, like a person drowning, searching for an anchor. She had to find a way out of this mausoleum of the living dead. Where was Michael?

The laughter got closer. Perspiration drenched her skin. The chilling laughter got louder, ringing in her ears, louder and louder, closer and closer. The gonging of the bell broke through the last filament of her sanity. The werewolf opened his mouth and howled at the moon. Where was Michael? He was a master swordsman. His fencing skills were extraordinary. He could wield a Ninja star through the air with his eyes closed and hit the mark. Where the hell was he?

Blood thundered in her ears, but not loud enough to block out the gonging of the manic laughter. It was close but she couldn’t see a thing. She wished she had her sword. She went to run but it was too late. She heard a distinct click. The killer had just depressed the button on her Zorro sword, unleashing a thirty-seven inch blade. His psychotic laughter reached an ear-splitting crescendo just as the bell in the bell tower gonged out its last chime. From the dark shadows, Valentino pounced, her Zorro sword gleaming in the moonlight.

“Surprise!” he thrust the sword straight through her heart. “I promised to make you scream. Darling Candace, let me hear you scream!”

MASK OF THE BETRAYER

SHARON DONOVAN

A psychological thriller
    Available Now!
    Whimsical Publications
    http://www.whimsicalpublications.com/books.html
    eBook

www.sharonadonovan.com

Sharon Donovan
    Romantic Suspense with a Twist of Faith

Default Blurb and excerpt from Mask of the Betrayer

Mask of the Betrayer is the book of my heart. I began writing it seven years ago while taking my first writing class. When the writing instructor made the announcement that the first book written is seldom the first book sold, I thought she was kidding. Little did I know how those words would ring true. Originally going with a maufia theme, the book was rejected as books slowly eased from that storyline. After much coffee and pondering, more classes and workshops and writers' conferences, I got the idea to showcase a nephew of a once powerful Vegas icon. And the idea of mind control was planted in my brain. Off to my local college I ran to enroll in psychology classes to learn and document behavioral patterns and disorders of the mind. Totally fascinated, a story began to form and I rewrote my once romantic suspense book into a psychological thriller. The mind is a tricky faux. It can bend. It can break. It can snap. Michael DeVeccio is the most complex character I have created to date, and getting into his mind was pretty darn scary. But alas, book one in the sequel was completed and contracted with Whimsical Publications. I will be forever grateful to Janet for giving my baby a chance to be seen. I present a blurb/excerpt. I hope it will entice you enough to make a purchase. It's on sale today to celebrate our day here in the forum. Enjoy!
    When the whispers in the night, the whispers of her lover, are the whispers of a killer, will Margot escape before she becomes the next victim?
    Deep in the foothills of Red Rock Canyon, a serial killer stalks. He leaves his signature—a skull mask on the corpse. But when the homicide cop realizes the crimes are the reenactment of a case never solved ten years ago--all fingers point to Michael DeVeccio. And when Margot realizes she is married to the killer, her life becomes a living nightmare.

Reaching Carlos DeVeccio’s bedroom, she got a little thrill as old memories surfaced. Just a few more seconds and she’d fall into the arms of her lover. She smiled to herself. She’d returned to Vegas for a reason. She was flat broke. But after tonight, Michael would be her ticket back into the world of luxury. And then she’d be mistress of the manor once more. And more to the point, she’d have access to his billion dollar bank roll.
    With a devious smile, she pushed her way through the heavy mahogany door. Crossing the threshold, she entered the house of horrors. Carlos DeVeccio had been a real nut, one straight out of the books. But with her fetish for face masks, she loved his collection and had often come into his wing just to admire them. And what a thrill it had been to have sex in the coffin, howling along with the werewolf. Some might think it a bit kinky, but they didn’t know what they were missing. Calling out to her lover, her pulse quickened a beat. “Michael? Are you here yet, darling?”
    And that’s when she heard it, manic laughter sounding as if it were coming from the final circle of hell. A slither of fear trickled down her spine, releasing a wild rush of panic. Carlos?
    She thought about the deaths of Carlos and Lacy Diamond. Two Ninja assassinations were no coincidence. Had the killer been downstairs, masquerading as one of the guests? Sensing danger, she felt for her sword. It was gone. Panic soared through her. Where the hell was it?
    The laughter got louder and louder, moving in closer and closer. It seemed to be bouncing off the walls. She couldn’t tell from which direction it was coming. Just then, the bell in the tower rang the first of twelve piercing gongs, the splintering shattering her eardrums like the sound of canon balls. Instinctively, she covered her ears with her hands. Where the hell was Michael?
    Evil red eyes followed her every move. She had to escape this hell before it was too late. She couldn’t think over the gonging of the bell. Every few seconds, the werewolf howled at the moon. She screamed, even though she knew no one would ever hear her. Floundering in wild disarray, disoriented by the darkness and relentless gonging, she searched in vain for the door. Her arms swam in mid-air, like a person drowning, desperate for an anchor, something to hold onto. She reached out and grabbed. Nothing. She had to find a way out of this mausoleum of the living dead before it was too late. Where the hell was Michael?
    The laughter got closer. Perspiration drenched her skin. The chilling laughter echoed in her ears, louder and louder, closer and closer. The bell in the bell tower broke through the thin filament of sanity she had left. The werewolf open his mouth and howled at the moon. Where was Michael? He’d know what to do. He was a master swordsman. His fencing skills were extraordinary. He could wield a Ninja star with his eyes closed and hit the mark. Where was he?
    Blood thundered in her ears, but not loud enough to block out the manic laughter. It was close—but she couldn’t see a thing. She wished she had her sword. She turned to run, but it was too late. She heard a distinct click. The killer had just depressed the button on her Zorro sword, releasing the thirty-seven inch blade. His psychotic laughter reached an ear-splitting crescendo just as the bell in the tower gonged out its last chime. From the dark shadows, Valentino pounced, her Zorro sword gleaming in the moonlight.
    “Surprise!” he thrust the sword into her heart. “I promised to make you scream, Darling Candace. Let me hear you scream.”

Mask of the Betrayer
    Sharon Donovan
    INK:
    http://www.whimsicalpublications.com/sharon_donovan/mask_of_the_betrayer.html

ebook:

Sharon Donovan
    Romantic Suspense with a Twist of Faith
    www.sharonadonovan.com

Reading: The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter
    Just Finished Reading: Defiant by Jessica Trapp Montana Dawn by Caroline Fyffe Witch's Heart by Tabitha Shay
    TBR: alot

Awards Showcase

That sounds good too... I'm going to go broke!!!