Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exotic Foods

Hybrid View

Xwriter Exotic Foods

I love exotic foods and have had to learn to cook from scratch since I've seldom lived anywhere near a Turkish or Indian (Punjabi especially) restaurant for instance. Thank goodness for Penzey Spices catalog

Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Nan
    Reading: The Fast Diet Recipe Book
    Just Finished Reading: Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews
    TBR: Lots!

Awards Showcase

My husband and I also enjoy exotic foods. We tend to try to cook ours - mainly because we're usually on a budget and trying to save to visit exotic locales!

Shelley
    Are you up to PAR?
    Provocative. Adventurous. Risque.
    http://www.ShelleyMunro.com

Default Exotic Foods

I'd rather read about exotic locales and eat the food offered there. A homebody with exotic tastebuds I suppose. And trying to get my dear hubby to try anything other than smothered chicken is a real trial. Fortunately, he's not yet bought into the "anything fried" mantra so prevalent where we live.
    Nan

Default Exotic Foods

Anybody out there enjoyed Turkish coffee? I once heard it described as hot as fire, dark as night, and sweet as love (after adding sugar). That sums it up, other than it's delicious and quite the high octane brew.
    Reading: Modern Day Vampires: Vampire 101 by Paige Tyler
    Just Finished Reading: Training the Receptionist by Juniper Bell
    TBR: 10+

Awards Showcase

Default Exotic fruits

I like to try different fruits. I recently went to Thailand where I tried Mangosteen (looks like an eyeball), Litchi, Durian (also called stinky fruit. It tastes good, but smells like a sewer), and Pomelo (my favorite. Like a grapefruit only not bitter).

Wow, an eyeball, hmmm. But I'll try just about anything (except sushi). I'd like to try them all.
    Nan
    Reading: Modern Day Vampires: Vampire 101 by Paige Tyler
    Just Finished Reading: Training the Receptionist by Juniper Bell
    TBR: 10+

Awards Showcase

I used to be a "picky eater" when I was younger. As I've gotten older, I've become more adventurous and willing to try new things. I look at it this way: if I try something and I like it, I'll have it to eat for the rest of my life. If I try something and I don't like it, it's one bad meal out of approximately 87,000 meals I'll have during my life. However, safety comes first. I never eat anything I think might not be safe to eat. I travel a lot and I never eat from street vendors no matter how good it smells/looks (although the scorpions-on-a-stick in Beijing were easy to pass up).

I agree about "safety" when traveling. And, stop me before I "clip" again, I keep clipping and clipping recipes for exotic foods, fully three quarters I don't prepare. Am I a horder?
    Nan
    Reading: "The Hour Before Dark" by Douglas Clegg
    Just Finished Reading: "Portent" by James Herbert
    TBR: Lots!
    On the Massachusetts coast, next to the ocean, with my husband and four cats..

Awards Showcase

I had marinated elk once and it was delicious.

I would love to eat ants someday. I hear they taste like lemon because of the formic acid.

Elizabeth Black
    It's Time For Hot, Screeching Monkey Sex!
    Elizabeth Black - Blog
    Elizabeth Black - Facebook
    Elizabeth Black - Twitter

I ate chocolate covered ants once (on a dare) crunchy is best I can remember but I wouldn't do it again. And, no, did not taste like chicken!
    Nan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast