Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reading: Under the Dome by Stephen King
    TBR: 10

Awards Showcase

Default Let's dish about paranormal novels

As a writer of paranormal novels I love to interact with my readers. Tell me your most favorite thing about paranormal novels.

Paranormals break boundaries. My own psychic spy books feature Tana Standish in the 1970s when ESP was actively being studied by both US and Soviet governments. Can you name a book that inspired you to write paranormal stories?

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Nikmorton View Post
    Paranormals break boundaries. My own psychic spy books feature Tana Standish in the 1970s when ESP was actively being studied by both US and Soviet governments. Can you name a book that inspired you to write paranormal stories?
    Thanks for stopping by Nik. I have always been very fond of author Kay Hooper and her Bishop FBI series is a series about an FBI special unit that is comprised of all psychics with different abilities. I loved her books and that started my paranormal brain working. I've also loved a few of the paranormal trilogies by Nora Roberts as well.

What motivated me to write Haunted Destiny was my 17 year old daughter. I wrote that book for her and I asked her what she wanted to read and she wanted a "clique ghost story" so that's what she got! It's a bit more chilling than I think she bargained for but its an exciting read.
    Reading: All things Writer's Digest
    Just Finished Reading: Rewrites, proofing, rewrites proofing, and so on. LOl
    TBR: 100

Awards Showcase

To Funny Hi Kelly

What frustrates me at times with paranormals is the loose fit that almost any sci-fi, historical fantasy, shape-shifter, vampire, ghosts, and aliens, demons all fit into this one category. I love the paranormal; I just wish there were some descriptors that went along with paranormal consistantly. Although, when you do go to paranormal...it is like a getting a box of chocolates. Yummy and you don't always know what you are going to get!

Awards Showcase

That's an interesting point. Vampires can sparkle, walk in the daylight, not walk in the daylight, die from a stake through the heart, not die from a stake through the heart. I guess maybe that is the point of it being fantasy. I think the one thing that always gets me is... I think of paranormal as ghosts and spirits. Things that go bump in the night. I don't really think of these creatures as paranormal. I think they deserve a genre all their own. Maybe we could call it Nonhuman romance! LOL

And I do agree there should be some consistency in the basic construction of these creatures. It makes it difficult for us writers to keep re-inventing things that vampires can do OR not do.

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

you have a point but if there was a set of rules, it would limit the possiblities and make more of the stories seem the same.

plus different people belive different things about shifters and vampires. i think it is fine for different writers to have different ideas about who can do what. as long as each author stays with in their own rules.
    Hugs
    Hollie

Awards Showcase

I don't disagree at all Hollie, and I think that might be what I was trying to say without success. I am an editor as well and many times there are inconsistencies that writers need to watch out for. I think a full character analysis helps this. Fleshing out the character prior to writing the story can prevent that a lot I think.

While I like vampire stories I also love a good ghost story. They are scarier to me because I believe they are real. Have any of you ever had an experience you want to share?

Yeah

I like the paranormals the best because they have no limits, no rules. You can make you vampire walk in the daylight or your lycan change into more than just a wolf. i think that makes it so many more authors gave give you a wide variety of stories that are based on one thing (vampires, lycans, fairies) but stories that are so different you don't get bored.
    Reading: Dianan Rowland (Zombie), and Sabrina Jeffries (Hellions)
    Just Finished Reading: Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas
    TBR: 500

Awards Showcase

While I have a new vampire novel out. I'm finding a whole new world of "paranormal"... I'm currently writing a psychic mystery romance series. My character has telepathy, but only with her three other sisters...until she meets the hot hero...I'm really enjoying the research on the psychic world...interesting stuff...

Dawn

Awards Showcase

Default Do you Like Paranormals with Psychics in them?

Dawn,
    I really like the psychic world as well. It's so versatile for a writer. You can do so many things with it. Good luck with your new series.

How about the rest of you, do you like this kind of books?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast