Reading: The Lighthouse
    Just Finished Reading: Hurricane Warning
    TBR: many

Awards Showcase

Default Quilting/Embroidery

DSC_0011.jpgOne of my favorite things to do when Iím not writing is embroidery. Another is quilting. Iíve found a way to combine the two. First,I made baby quilts for my nieces. White on white, I machine embroidered them with the darning stitch so I had control. They turned out so nice, but I really love to hand embroidery. Thatís when I discovered red-work, during a quilting shop-hop, one of the stores highlighted red-work. For those of you who donít know what red-work is Ė itís embroidery done in all red floss. Just the outline of the picture, not filled in like some embroidery patterns. Anyway, I fell in love with it. Every year I make something for Christmas (often a Santa) for my six children and give it to them on Thanksgiving. I found a Santa pattern and did it all in red-work, framed it and gave it to them. (See attachment.) Thatís when I decided to make a baby quilt for each of my grandchildren Ė for their first born. I started out with coloring books for designs. I traced the images onto 12x12 squares of muslin. After I finished embroidering the squares I cut sashing and sewed them together. For the backing I used various fabrics, not nursery print. None of the quilts have nursery fabric in them at all. Iíve used patterns from animals to Winnie the Pooh. >>
    Eventually, I found transfer books and started using them for designs. I looked everywhere for baby designs. I have 13 grandchildren, so I needed a lot of baby quilts. Many of the quilts are done in red work, but many of the quilts are done with various colors, too. >>
    I finally finished them about a year ago. It took about a couple of years to do all the squares. Since then, I made quilts for my nieceís twins (due in July). One of the patterns is kittens and the other is bunnies. Sheís having a girl and boy, so I thought the bunnies would be good for him. >>
    A couple weeks ago, I gave my first grandchildís quilt to my oldest granddaughter, whose baby boy is due June 20th Ė my first great grandchild. A month ago, I was informed another grandchild is on the way and we just found out itís a boy. I have the perfect quilt pattern for him. Puppies. I can hardly wait to start it. Although itís going to be many years before heíll need it. Iíve marked each quilt with the name of the grandchild theyíre supposed to go to in case Iím not around to give it to them. My daughters have been instructed to pass them out. >>
    Reading: Highland Hellcat by Mary Wine
    Just Finished Reading: Never A Bride by Amelia Grey

Awards Showcase

Default Beautiful

Gorgeous quilt, Roseanne. I love to sew and do machine embroidery, but I've never learned to quilt. That's a "one of these days" dream. Right now, I'm lucky to be writing, working full time, and making baby bibs for all the babies that cross my path.
    Denise Patrick
    Heaven begins with an HEA. . .

Blog Website

Awards Showcase

Thanks, Denise. As soon as I download the pictures of the quilts I made for my neice's twins, I'll post them here. I also have a collage of all the other quilts. One of these days, I'm going to have my husband take them one by one. I haven't started the quilt for the newest grandbaby yet and I've instructed my granddaughter to take a picture of her baby on the one I made for her. I actually got into quilting by accident and fell in love with it. The first quilt I ever made, I cut out by hand. My daughter soon showed me the ropes with the rotary cutter. What a time saver. Then my sister in law got into it and took some classes and showed me a few more time saving tricks. Now days, I like to make small quilts and wall hangings. The largest quilt I made was for my queen size bed. I embroidered flowers - not just redwork or outlined - I filled them in. I didn't think I'd ever get done. Then I did what they call shadow embroidery - I put the names of the plants behind (so to speak) the plants in a light color. I'll have to take a pix of that and post it also.
    Reading: Fearless Fourteen
    Just Finished Reading: Carolina Wolf
    TBR: 25

Awards Showcase

I'm a quilter too! Once a month I get together with some gals to make quilts for charity...homeless shelters, cancer wards, and Habitat for Humanity to name a few.
    www.kellyfitzpatrick.webs.com
    2009 GOLDEN HEARTģ finalist
    Pleasant Lake P.D.
    Out now from Ellora's Cave Blush:
    LILY IN WONDERLAND
    Bad Girls Need Love Too!
    FREE read out now at EC - Holiday Hostage
    Coming soon from EC - This Side of Dead

Awards Showcase

That's fantastic that you quilt for such worthy causes. As much as I love to quilt and embroider, I should start doing that. I think my kids are tired of all my gifts. My son said he doesn't have room for another wall hanging. I'll include a pix of the latest on tomorrow's post. I'll have to look for the pix of one of the t-shirt quilts I did. That was fun.

Awards Showcase

I just gave away a quilt as a promotion for my book, but I can't figure out how to insert a picture or I'd show it to you. I also made my boss a quilt from his old bowling shirts.
    Pleasant Lake P.D.
    LILY IN WONDERLAND
    Bad Girls Need Love Too!

Awards Showcase

that's a great idea, Kelly. I never thought of that. I can only add them when I start a new thread. When I click on insert picture, it asks for a url address. Since mine in are in my files, they don't have an addreess. Maybe we should download them to the picture file on this site. I'll have to check into that.

Hey Kelly!

Hi from another charity quilter. :-) I've quilted for years...and when I had given quilts to all the members of my family I looked around and thought how many quilts does one person need, so I started making charity quilts. Most of mine are distributed through the online Yahoo Group Sunshine quilts. I haven't donated any recently...but am working on a shipment to send out. If I get a chance and can figure out how to post a picture here I will come back and post some pictures of some of the things I am working on.
    Black Velvet Seductions publishes romance, erotic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, historical romance, and short erotic spanking stories with a strong focus on the relationship between hero and heroine.

Check us out for free books and ebooks every day!

Website
    Blog
    Coffee Time Forum
    MySpace

Awards Showcase

I'm bummed I can't show you my quilt. I feel like a three legged dog when it comes to technology.
    Pleasant Lake P.D.
    LILY IN WONDERLAND
    Bad Girls Need Love Too!

Hi Kelly,

I think the key is that you need to have your picture of your quilt loaded somewhere where it has an address. I'm assuming if you had it on Flickr or Webshots or somewhere like that you would be able to post the link and it would show up in the post. I was able to get a cover art image to show up that way earlier in the evening.
    Black Velvet Seductions publishes romance, erotic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, historical romance, and short erotic spanking stories with a strong focus on the relationship between hero and heroine.

Check us out for free books and ebooks every day!

Website
    Blog
    Coffee Time Forum
    MySpace