Hybrid View

Reading: Modern Day Vampires: Vampire 101 by Paige Tyler
    Just Finished Reading: Training the Receptionist by Juniper Bell
    TBR: 10+

Awards Showcase

Default Identification with the heroine

How much do you like to identify with heroine in a romance novel?

Is it a better read for you if the heroine is someone you can identity with? What makes you identify with the heroine? What turns you off?
    Reading: Must Love Dragons by Stephanie Rowe
    Just Finished Reading: Date Me Baby One More Time by Stephanie Rowe
    TBR: alot

Awards Showcase

It really depends on the story. If an author writes about a plus-sized gal, then the heroine better be comfortable in her own skin, or at least become comfortable midway through the book. And all the trials in her better be "real" so a reader can relate. No one wants to read about a too whiny heroine, right? LOL
    Sandi
    Come visit my website for books, recipes, links and excerpts!

Hi Cara,

For me I don't particularly need a heroine (or hero) who does, thinks, or believes the same things that I do. I like people who are different from me and can like characters who are different from me too.

What I want in a heroine (or a hero for that matter) is a character who is true to who or what she is. I think Sandra touched on it a bit...for me I want the characters actions and reactions to seem true to who they are...which makes their trials and tribulations real to me too. I don't want to read about a character whose history and current situation do not seem to intersect. I like characters who act in ways that make sense relative to the exepriences they've had in their pasts.

In general, I like heroines who are strong, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they need to be kicking butts and leaping tall fences in a single bound. I like them to be emotionally strong. This doesn't mean that they can't be wounded. I like heroines who are wounded but who are strong in spite of their wounds...because they face up to them.
    Black Velvet Seductions publishes romance, erotic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, historical romance, and short erotic spanking stories with a strong focus on the relationship between hero and heroine.

Check us out for free books and ebooks every day!

Website
    Blog
    Coffee Time Forum
    MySpace
    Just Finished Reading: Pride Mates - Jennifer Ashley, Temporally Yours, The Key - Richard Savage
    TBR: 3

Awards Showcase

Hi, Cara. I'm editing your Secret Desires now for Laurie. I have a question for you: Do you write in a cold shower? I have felt the need to take one a half dozen times and I'm only half way through your story. The word HOT doesn't come close to describing what Morgan gets for her birthday where I come from!
    MM

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella Morgan View Post
    Hi, Cara. I'm editing your Secret Desires now for Laurie. I have a question for you: Do you write in a cold shower? I have felt the need to take one a half dozen times and I'm only half way through your story. The word HOT doesn't come close to describing what Morgan gets for her birthday where I come from!
    MM

I'm guessing "hot" is good? Years ago under a different name I wrote a mainstream novel, which had a couple of sex scenes. I removed them before the book the published. My husband told me then I was making a mistake...that I should leave the sex scenes in because had a knack for writing erotica (of course, erotica wasn't the word he used!).
    Reading: The Dark Prince
    Just Finished Reading: Four Dukes and a Devil, First Comes Marriage and Ravished by A Highlander
    TBR: 125

Awards Showcase

Yeah

Hi Cara,
    I don't have to identify with the heroine as long as she believes in herself and knows who she is.But Icannot stand a heroine who whines almost alf way through the book .
    Carol L.
    Lucky4750@aol.com

Awards Showcase

I agree. I don't like whiners. I just wonder if readers want the herorine to be more like them in terms of age, occupation, weight, economic status, etc.