Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: No More Dogs

Hybrid View

  1. Hazel22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire, England
    Posts
    54

    Awards Showcase

    Hazel22 is offline
    #1

    Default No More Dogs

    Hi everyone,
    I originally gave my interest as dogs when more rightly it should have been animals as, over the years, we have owned everything from hamsters to horses, but I must admit that dogs are my ruling passion – especially Labradors and Golden Retrievers. However, now that our daughter has married, we have downsized to dogs alone. Last year we had but one dog.

    No more dogs! Definitely no more dogs! These were my husband’s words and I have to admit, to a certain extent, I agreed with him. Ten-year-old Lucy was to be our last dog. I was then sixty-three and my husband a very active sixty-four and we thought our dog walking days were behind us. We knew Lucy had a terminal illness and we treasured her all the more for it and remained firm in our resolve.

    It took one phone call, just one phone call to put that resolve clean out of our heads. Pam, who had bred our first Lab, Tara, twenty-three years ago, phoned to say that her dog had had a litter. There was a shocked silence – we both knew what was going through the others head.

    "OK, when do we go to look at the pups?" our daughter asked.

    "We’re not!" I replied firmly.

    Mollie arrived two weeks later. She was a little devil and a pure delight and Lucy adored her. Who said we were too old to have a new puppy? My husband? Me? Never!
    Attached Images
  2. Miss Mae's Avatar
    Just Finished Reading: The Privateer by Danielle Thorne
    TBR: 4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    745

    Awards Showcase

    Miss Mae is offline
    #2

    Default

    She's gorgeous. I know what you mean. We now have four dogs, and by the time the youngest passes on, hubby and I will be past the age of taking care of them. (I fear for us aging and dying and having to leave our loves behind, not knowing what will become of them).

    I'm determined to keep my resolve....I hope.


    "When the Bough Breaks", "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady", "Catch Me If You Can", "It's Extraordinary, My Dear Winifred", "Said the Spider to the Fly", available at both Smashwords and Amazon

    Visit me online at: http://themissmaesite.com



  3. Hazel22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire, England
    Posts
    54

    Awards Showcase

    Hazel22 is offline
    #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mae View Post
    She's gorgeous. I know what you mean. We now have four dogs, and by the time the youngest passes on, hubby and I will be past the age of taking care of them. (I fear for us aging and dying and having to leave our loves behind, not knowing what will become of them).

    I'm determined to keep my resolve....I hope.
    Exactly! That is my concern too but, luckily, our daughter is just as besotted with animals as I am and has promised to care for any we leave behind.

    Mollie is a little monkey but she was diagnosed with Addison's in December and has quietened down quite a lot. Thankfully, the condition is well controlled and she is still a very happy girl. For the moment, our 'No More Dogs' rule stands firm, but, I can't imagine our home without a dog in it - only time will tell!
  4. HywelaLyn's Avatar
    Reading: Furiously
    Just Finished Reading: The Golden Key Chronicles - A J Nuest
    TBR: Loads
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23

    Awards Showcase

    HywelaLyn is offline
    #4

    Default

    It's hard isn't it. I've had dogs all life, and horses since I was able to save up enough money to buy my first. But there does come a time when one has to be realistic and as MM says, realise there might come a time when your beloved pet or pets could be left 'orphaned'.
    Lyn -
    HYWELA LYN
    S
    tarquest; Children Of The Mist; Dancing With Fate;
    Available from: The Wild Rose Press:
    My forum group at Coffeetime Romance
    Facebook
    http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk
    http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com
  5. hollie's Avatar

    Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    37

    Awards Showcase

    hollie is offline
    #5

    Default

    she is lovely and i can see sh eis going to be a handful but that is half teh fun isn't it?

    we have 2 dogs a male springer/lab cross and a jack/american staff cross bitch. i have mentioned that i wanted to breed her and my daughter has already found a male jack for her and we have homes for 3 pups, the poor thing has only just had a season so it is going to be a while before plans move forward but hubby has been out voted on the breeding idea.
    Hugs
    Hollie


  6. Hazel22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire, England
    Posts
    54

    Awards Showcase

    Hazel22 is offline
    #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollie View Post
    she is lovely and i can see sh eis going to be a handful but that is half teh fun isn't it?

    we have 2 dogs a male springer/lab cross and a jack/american staff cross bitch. i have mentioned that i wanted to breed her and my daughter has already found a male jack for her and we have homes for 3 pups, the poor thing has only just had a season so it is going to be a while before plans move forward but hubby has been out voted on the breeding idea.
    Clair (our daughter) has three Staffy crosses. Staffy/Lab, Staffy/??? both bitches and has just acquired a Staffy/Whippet boy. Like Mollie, they all have a unique temperament but are extremely kind. We love their little characters and the cheekiness that shines through. Daisy, the Staffy/Lab has just turned four but has never left her puppy ways behind. We know she will never grow up but she is greatly loved none-the-less.
  7. Hazel22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire, England
    Posts
    54

    Awards Showcase

    Hazel22 is offline
    #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HywelaLyn View Post
    It's hard isn't it. I've had dogs all life, and horses since I was able to save up enough money to buy my first. But there does come a time when one has to be realistic and as MM says, realise there might come a time when your beloved pet or pets could be left 'orphaned'.
    You are absolutely right! I would hate the thought that she could end up with strangers. Apart from anything else, her condition means she would have to go to a knowledgeable home but, thankfully, my daughter used to be a veterinary nurse until the birth of her son and I know she would know how to deal with a crisis. It was she who took Mollie to the Animal Health Trust in December whilst we were on holiday and she was in her care. Without a doubt, we would have lost Mollie without her swift action. Our animals mean so much to us and we are heartbroken when they leave us.
  8. #8

    Default

    Totally understand...the thought of not having the responsibility and being able to travel without worrying about a dog has its bonus points, but we miss having a dog around when they are gone.

    I have three. A three year old St. Bernard mutt whose a big loveable kleptomaniac, a thirteen year old cattledog that is THE best dog all-around and was raised with my kids from day one, and a five year old half Australian shepherd/ half mystery. lol

    I'm definitely a dog person more than a cat person...although we have two of those too. lol
  9. Hazel22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire, England
    Posts
    54

    Awards Showcase

    Hazel22 is offline
    #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abby Wood View Post
    Totally understand...the thought of not having the responsibility and being able to travel without worrying about a dog has its bonus points, but we miss having a dog around when they are gone.

    I have three. A three year old St. Bernard mutt whose a big loveable kleptomaniac, a thirteen year old cattledog that is THE best dog all-around and was raised with my kids from day one, and a five year old half Australian shepherd/ half mystery. lol

    I'm definitely a dog person more than a cat person...although we have two of those too. lol
    We usually travel without our dogs, leaving them with our daughter but I get terrible withdrawal symptoms and want to pat every dog in sight. Have to admit I'm a dog rather than a cat person too although we have owned both. As my daughter was a veterinary nurse, she brought every lame and unwanted animal home and I was secretly relieved when she married. Now it's up to her husband to stem the never-ending flow of unfortunates. For the moment, her home seems rather bare with just 3 rescue dogs, a rescue parrot, a cockatiel, a rabbit and several fish. No doubt she will soon find something else to add to the mix. Oh, I forgot to add my eight-year-old grandson who is equally as mad about animals as we are - He's constantly on the look-out for something else to rescue!

    If you'd like to see more photos of my dogs, take a look at my website www.hazel-statham.co.uk and you can see two of my 'girls'.

    Hazel

    Find the romance and elegance of Regency and Georgian England in books by Hazel Statham
    www.hazel-statham.co.uk
  10. Robbibird3's Avatar
    Reading: Lord of the Fading Lands by CL Wilson
    Just Finished Reading: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, Bengal's Heart by Lora Leigh Lion's Heat by Lora Leigh
    TBR: 1766
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gallitzin, PA
    Posts
    0

    Awards Showcase

    Robbibird3 is offline
    #10

    Default

    Oh I definitely have that sentiment right now. Mainly because I cannot walk either of our two rescued mixed breeds. A soon to be 11 year old Lady who look exactly like a German Shepherd but is slightly smaller than a Sheltie. Shadow whom we were told was a labrador/ beagle our vet says no way it was a hound type that shares the same colors as a beagle. Because he looks like a lab sized beagle with a deep baying bark and after his fifth birthday he started having seizures.

    I told my hubby No More dogs because he doesn't like taking them for walks and I cannot because they pull me and I need a cane for balance issues. I'm thinking perhaps a cat but hubby is not thrilled with the idea. But I have never known a time that I did not have a dog around me and I feel safer with one than without one. Maybe I'll get a tiny lap dog, surely they can't pull as strongly. Time will tell.

    Robin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •