Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More Dogs

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Robbibird3 View Post
    Oh I definitely have that sentiment right now. Mainly because I cannot walk either of our two rescued mixed breeds. A soon to be 11 year old Lady who look exactly like a German Shepherd but is slightly smaller than a Sheltie. Shadow whom we were told was a labrador/ beagle our vet says no way it was a hound type that shares the same colors as a beagle. Because he looks like a lab sized beagle with a deep baying bark and after his fifth birthday he started having seizures.

I told my hubby No More dogs because he doesn't like taking them for walks and I cannot because they pull me and I need a cane for balance issues. I'm thinking perhaps a cat but hubby is not thrilled with the idea. But I have never known a time that I did not have a dog around me and I feel safer with one than without one. Maybe I'll get a tiny lap dog, surely they can't pull as strongly. Time will tell.

Robin
    Hi Robin,

We seem to have similar problems. I can't walk very far either and the walking therefore is left to my husband. However, a few weeks ago I acquired a mobility scooter and now I can go on walks with them - great! It's something I've missed for several years as I was always out and about with our other dogs. Mollie could pull me over (even on the scooter) so my husband holds her whilst I ride alongside.

Your dogs sound lovely. We used to have a Golden Retriever that was not much bigger than a collie (I think she must have shrunk in the wash - :-)) I have to admit being a fan of big dogs. I tend to fall over small ones so a lap dog would be out for me. It's a family joke that a couple of Christmases ago I tripped over one of my daughters dogs and landed in a heap. However I still managed to keep the gateau I was carrying at the time in one piece and out of the reach of the dogs. Well, you have to get your priorities right, don't you LOL

Take care,

Hazel
    www.hazel-statham.co.uk

Sounds familiar. We've had German Shepherds for years but now, getting older makes them much to hard to take care of being big dogs as they are. We have one that is twelve and another at five. But....we got a little Yorkie last year, Ami Rose who has taken our hearts to another level. She's a hand full of fun and love even though we still love and adore our other two girls. but, once the big dogs are gone, I don't think we will get another one.

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Robins View Post
    Sounds familiar. We've had German Shepherds for years but now, getting older makes them much to hard to take care of being big dogs as they are. We have one that is twelve and another at five. But....we got a little Yorkie last year, Ami Rose who has taken our hearts to another level. She's a hand full of fun and love even though we still love and adore our other two girls. but, once the big dogs are gone, I don't think we will get another one.
    It's hard to say no more dogs when they have been such a big part of our lives for so many years. There are times when I can see the benefit of being dog-less but the thought doesn't last for long. It's only when I'm wearing my 'sensible' hat that the idea appeals. If it had been left to my husband we would have been dog-less years ago as he has to do all the walking etc now, and, fair enough, I can see his point, but I think with my heart and not my head. I suppose, at some point, I'll have to give in to him, but it will be so hard. For now, I will enjoy Mollie whilst I can. Hopefully, the final decision is years away.

Regards

Hazel

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

I have a lab/springer cross and i can't walk him but luckily i have teenagers who can and a i have a jack cross who i can walk but not far, i can through a ball down the garden for her and excerise her that way, when we lose Toby i wont get another bigger dog i'll stick to smaller ones, but i do want to breed my jack cross, just need to talk the hubby into it i've already got homes for some of her pups
    Hugs
    Hollie

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by hollie View Post
    I have a lab/springer cross and i can't walk him but luckily i have teenagers who can and a i have a jack cross who i can walk but not far, i can through a ball down the garden for her and excerise her that way, when we lose Toby i wont get another bigger dog i'll stick to smaller ones, but i do want to breed my jack cross, just need to talk the hubby into it i've already got homes for some of her pups
    Great 'energetic' mix a Lab/Springer. I bet he's raring to go all the time LOL Fantastic that you've already got prospective homes for the JRx puppies. One of the reasons my husband would never let me breed our Labs was because he knew I would want to keep them all, which wasn't at all practical. It's best to have owners lined up before the event.

Regards,

Hazel
    www.hazel-statham.co.uk

[quote=Hazel22;123985]It's hard to say no more dogs when they have been such a big part of our lives for so many years. There are times when I can see the benefit of being dog-less but the thought doesn't last for long. It's only when I'm wearing my 'sensible' hat that the idea appeals. If it had been left to my husband we would have been dog-less years ago as he has to do all the walking etc now, and, fair enough, I can see his point, but I think with my heart and not my head. I suppose, at some point, I'll have to give in to him, but it will be so hard. For now, I will enjoy Mollie whilst I can. Hopefully, the final decision is years away.

I know what you mean but for now I'll settle on the Yorkie because she'll be around much longer than the shepherds. God I hate the thought of losing them......I don't even like to talk about it.
    As far as exercise, the Yorkie keeps the big dogs, especially the younger one running around like a puppy again.
    Regards

Jennifer Robins
    Reading: Highland Rogue - Tess Mallory
    TBR: A Lot

Awards Showcase

I have two corgis and we travel with them everywhere! We've even been to the beach! Thank the Almighty for LaQuinta hotels! LOL
    Annie Marshall - Celtic Paranormal Romance
    Desire Begins in the Mind.
    Her Island Destiny coming this Autumn to DCL Publications.
    www.annie-marshall.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12