Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Yeah What do you do in your copious (HAH) free time?

WOW, I was looking at all the threads here and trying to figure out which ones I should post in. See I do a LOT of these things---just not often enough. I also try to rescue stray/feral cats, and um, oh yeah, cruise the internet. (I use the excuse of research, but honesty compels me to admit that mostly I just cruise around reading whatever catches my fancy.)

So, rather than even try to post in each thread that applies I will put here what I do on those rare occasions when my time isn't spoken for!
    1) Design and sewing;
    2) Plants/yard/want to call it gardening, but I never get to go that far;
    3) Playing with the puppydog;
    4) Exercise (I can't and won't call dieting a hobby. Yes I do it, no it's not something I do for FUN.)
    5) Drawing, painting.
    6) Knitting.
    7) Beading and the occasional jewelry making.
    8) Decorating and doing things with/to the house.

Generally speaking, if it creates something, I'm in. I like to do things where I have a product in my hand at the end. I enjoy taking component parts and winding up with something completely new that wouldn't have existed if I hadn't done it. Sort of why I take blank pieces of paper and create places, people, and situations that never would have existed if I hadn't written it down. Perhaps I have a god complex? Surely not! LOL.
    Reading: Furiously
    Just Finished Reading: The Golden Key Chronicles - A J Nuest
    TBR: Loads

Awards Showcase

Hi CT
    Freetime - what's that? LOL

The trouble is, hobbies tend to take over. I love reading, gardening, painting - of those Ive had to drop painting and reading is usually when I'm travelling or waiting for something, although I try to make more time for it. Gardening I do when the weather's too good to stay in. My 'real' hobbie are writing, horses and my dog - writing has become a full time occupation - and I'm certainly not complaining about that! My two horses and dog seem to take up every other moment when I'm not writing. I love my animals as part of the family and I believe if we have animals we have a responsibility to not only care for them, but spend time with them. I hae to agree about the 'creation' process, and it does tend to make one feel 'omnipotent' with the power to wield life or death, and torture our poor characters!
    Lyn -
    HYWELA LYN
    S
    tarquest; Children Of The Mist; Dancing With Fate;
    Available from: The Wild Rose Press:
    My forum group at Coffeetime Romance
    Facebook
    http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk
    http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

I agree with you about pets they are and should be part of the family and need as much time and love as any other part of the family. we have 2 dogs that are treated pretty much like the kids and are played with as well as walked, brushed and fed.

i love making things as well, me and my daughter made a rug that we are thinking of doing again, but that is best done in the colder months it gets very warm with all that wool on your knee.

i also like cross stiching and drawing/painting
    Hugs
    Hollie

I can't believe I didn't put in reading. UGH! And I do watch the occasional television show on my computer. (I don't even have the television hooked up any more. It just gathers dust.

The thing is, with the work and the animals (who are family and treated as such) I have a million half-finished things around the house that I "really will get to that . . . eventually."

LOL.

Reading: Beautiful Mistake by Nancy Corrigan
    Just Finished Reading: Dark Bites by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    TBR: ?????

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by C.T. Adams View Post
    I can't believe I didn't put in reading. UGH! And I do watch the occasional television show on my computer. (I don't even have the television hooked up any more. It just gathers dust.

The thing is, with the work and the animals (who are family and treated as such) I have a million half-finished things around the house that I "really will get to that . . . eventually."

LOL.
    I know that feeling we just moved so the whole house needs something doing to it from simple painting to completely restarting (such as the garden and kitchen)
    Hugs
    Hollie

CT Adams,

I so relate to what you said about liking to create things that wouldn't have existed if you hadn't created them. I think that's the draw for me too...with lots of things.

Gardening...I like creating color and texture with flowers... I like starting with a blank canvas (an empty flowerbed) and gradually, over several years adding more and more till it no longer resembles the blank canvas it began as.

Quilting -- I like taking lots of different sizes, colors, and shapes of fabric and sewing them all together to make quilts.

Going to the building supply store I am always struck by the potential of all the things housed there...what one could do with all those component parts...or just a few select ones. :-)

The same is true with the office store, the hobby store, and the paint store.

When I go to the bookstore I am overwhelmed that each book on each shelf started out as someone's idea...something that didn't exist until they created it.

I think that's why I like writing too...it's magical...the creating of people, places, feelings, experiences, making the worlds and the people and places real to others by writing them down...its a magical thing.

Anyway, I very much relate to your post. :-)
    Black Velvet Seductions publishes romance, erotic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, historical romance, and short erotic spanking stories with a strong focus on the relationship between hero and heroine.

Check us out for free books and ebooks every day!

Website
    Blog
    Coffee Time Forum
    MySpace

xreading I agree

I agree, it's . . . magic. Not there . . . there. That's like to me there is nothing more magical than babies (of any species). It starts as a little tiny mass of cells. By the time we actually see it and it's out in the world it has all the parts it's ever going to have, but in complete miniature. (Now don't get me wrong, I'm SOOOOOOO done having babies. I do NOT have that kind of energy. But they are AMAZING.)

I read somewhere that a famous basketball star (I can't remember, maybe Wilt Chamberlain, maybe Kareem Abdul Jabar) when he was born was smaller than his FOOT as an adult. Seriously, the entire length of his body was shorter than one single foot.

Creation is amazing in the world, and I get this huge charge out of creation on the small scale.

Hi CT,

I agree...it is miraculous the way that life begins. And I agree, creation is an amazing thing. I get the same huge charge out of creating the things I create. It's a wonderous thing to be able to do creative work.
    Black Velvet Seductions publishes romance, erotic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, historical romance, and short erotic spanking stories with a strong focus on the relationship between hero and heroine.

Check us out for free books and ebooks every day!

Website
    Blog
    Coffee Time Forum
    MySpace

Ah, if only I had as much free time as I have interests, lol.

When I'm idle, here's my love-to-do list...

* Read (d'oh!): often light reads, short stories...
    * Movies: drama and comedy are on my top list.
    * Cooking: I'm into cakes and cookies!
    * Languages: I often practice English and French.
    * Net surfing: that goes without saying, non? :D

I used to knit, but I forgot about it...I may retake it someday, as well as embroidery. I did a damn fine job with a pair of jeans.
    To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down.
    Reading: Deadlines by Metsy Hingle
    Just Finished Reading: Zero at the Bone by Jane Seville
    TBR: 500+

Awards Showcase

I like to read, listen to music, play with my cat Tigger, blog (addicted to Google Reader) during my spare time.
    Happy Reading
    Anna
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast