Hobbies I'm an embroiderer. Are you?

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I picked up a needle and skein, but I used to embroider with a passion! I'm not a cross-stitcher. Oh, no. I do the old fashioned satin stitches, decorative backstitch and French knots.

This was back in the day when, if you wanted pretty embroidered designs on your jean legs, you couldn't buy them that way. No!

Actually, yes. It was all hand stitched and I used to have some of the most awesome designs! You could buy patterns anywhere and thread even in grocery stores. But that was also when there were fabric stores in multiple areas of town.

I made samplers for the wall, pillowcases and even tablecloths and quilt squares (my mom made quilts.)

But even though fabric stores have gone out of vogue, there ARE Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I just saw a whole section on embroidery go in at our local Michael's, which is what made me think about it. I've considered taking it up again, but don't know when I'll have time (what with writing and all...(

Who else embroiders? What sort of things do you make?
    Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    also writing as Cat Adams
    Our Website
    Visit me on: MySpace, Twitter, Our Blog, Witchy Chicks
    Reading: JR Ward's Lover Mine

Awards Showcase

I used to do professional embroidery for an English designer, pulled thread, Hardanger, etc. Then the writing bug took over and I sold my first story. Now I don't get much time for it -- besides I've about 15 projects waiting to be framed but my walls are filled. (and in this house, things need to be underglass unless I want them coated in cat hair or hit by sock balls my boys toss at each other)

Ah, pet hair! The bane of the embroiderer. I can't tell you how many times I had to use duct tape to lift off cat or dog hair from a piece. Never knew how it got there, either.
    Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    Our Website

I love to embroider too! I taught myself when I was a child and fell in love with it. It's very hard to find designs nowadays though and I have found some of the best ones at yard sales...old vintage transfers that come alive again on my projects.
    Sometimes the second-hand transfers are a bit faded, but with a few strokes of a transfer pencil, carefully following the outlines, they become good as new.

It doesn't seem there are a whole lot of uses for embroidered items anymore, but one I have found that is perfect for using and super-appreciated as a gift is to embroider vintage designs on new flour sack dishcloths. These are available at your usual Hobby Store and I have even found the cloths at Target.

My friends love these gifts so much, they refuse to use them as dishtowels, instead displaying them proudly in the kitchen.
    May there always be romance in your life,
    Susan Gabriel

What a terrific idea! I hadn't thought of that as a gift, but it is a small size project that I could probably fit in. People only like the edges done and it's so unique and personal. :D

Now I have an excuse to go back and buy that thread I wanted to.
    Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    Our Website

I haven't embroidered for years actually; used to though. My Mom could do a wonderful job.

I used to embroider items as gifts (buy a shirt, transfer a design, embroider the garment). I haven't had time for embroidery lately due to to a full time job plus a writing career that has been taking off over the last couple of years. I do miss embroidery, and love anything with embroidery on it.
    Lisa Marie Wilkinson
    Author of Historical Adventure Romance
    Stolen Promise, available now!
    5 Blue Ribbons, Romance Junkies
    5 Stars, Affaire de Coeur Magazine
    5/5 Cups, Coffee Time Romance
    Fire at Midnight, available now!
    IPPY Gold Medal Winner
    Winner, USA Book News Best Books
    http://www.lisamariewilkinson.com

Yes, I'm an embroiderer too...though I don't do as much of it as I once did. That's due quite a bit to the demands of running the company...but it is also do to the fact that I quilt too and quilting takes up a lot of what little hobby time there is.

I have made dozens of sets of embroidered pillowcases over the years. I used to make a set each year for my mother in law when she was still alive. She always loved getting them. I also did a sweatshirt for my niece...a horse lover. I think it was made from an Aunt Martha's transfer...a horse head, inside a bunch of flowers.

I like making a lot of my own gifts at Christmas time...and I do like doing embroidery. Relaxing. :-)

I find TV time is a great time to embroider. Having something to do with my hands keeps me awake...
    Black Velvet Seductions publishes romance, erotic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, historical romance, and short erotic spanking stories with a strong focus on the relationship between hero and heroine.

Check us out for free books and ebooks every day!

Website
    Blog
    Coffee Time Forum
    MySpace