Threaded View

Reading: Furiously
    Just Finished Reading: The Golden Key Chronicles - A J Nuest
    TBR: Loads

Awards Showcase

Default Sally, my little Welsh endurance horse

Sally at Warex 2.jpg

I thought I'd introduce my horses to you over the next few days.

I#'ve already mentioned Harri and T'pau, but I also had another horse, Sal. Sally, my feisty little endurance horse, sadly passed over to the Rainbow Bridge two years ago, at the grand old age of thirty four. A Welsh cross, she was built like a wiry little Thoroughbred and a gorgeous golden buckskin colour.

This wa picture was takenon the last long distance ride we did together. She was in her twenties then, but still full of life and as my vet described her a year before she died as 'a feisty little mare'. Bless her, she had her moments. When I first bought this little golden horse she used to rear up and try to brush me off against the hedge, but once we reached an understanding she worked her socks off for me and I think she enjoyed the endurance riding we did in Wales as much as I did. We were together for twenty three years although it certainly didn't seem that long.

I retrained her to Western style riding from English and she adapted to it very happily. She stopped pulling like she had when I bought her, and I could ride her in a Western curb bit on a really loose rein. She relaxed and stopped her habit of rearing, although she still had her moments and was always a fast ride. When I decided to take up long distance riding she took it all in her stride and we had some wonderful endurance rides together, including the famous 'Graig Goch' or Welsh Dragon, one of the toughest endurance rides in Britain.
    At one stage we had to pass through a bog, and the sheep had eaten all the markers. I just gave Sal her head and she ploughed through and get us safely to the other side, although we wer covered in mud!

The scenery was breathtaking, and I'll never forget riding over the 'Graig Goch' dam.
    PONY_TREKKERS_AT_CRAIG_GOCH_DAM_ELAN_VALLEY 2.jpg Riding up the steep mountain and seeing the dam below, and then riding down the other side and actually going across the dam was the most amazing experience and well worth our experience in the bog.

She had what I hope was a happy and long retirement, until she had an attack of surgical colic and I had to make the terrible decision to let her be put to rest. There was a very slim chance she might have been saved by surgery, but it was a long shot and the vet was not optimistic. I wouldn't put her through the trauma of an operation with such a slim chance of success.

I'll never forget Sal and I featured in my story 'Dancing With Fate,' one of The Song Of The Muses anthology from The Wild Rose Press, where she became the immortal steed of a Greek muse in Wales!

Tomorrow I'll tell you about Harri, who also starred in the same book - and please join me on the 16th June at http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/boa...lay.php?f=1307 when you're welcome to join me and chat about horses, dogs, cats, books, or whatever takes your fancy, but especially horses and writing!

Attached Images
    Lyn -
    HYWELA LYN
    S
    tarquest; Children Of The Mist; Dancing With Fate;
    Available from: The Wild Rose Press:
    My forum group at Coffeetime Romance
    Facebook
    http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk
    http://hywelalyn.blogspot.com