Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Adopt or Buy

Hybrid View

  1. Sandra Cox's Avatar
    Reading: Big Jack
    Just Finished Reading: Purity in Death
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    13

    Awards Showcase

    Sandra Cox is offline
    #1

    Default Adopt or Buy

    Are you thinking about adding a kitten or puppy to your household? Are you after a specific breed? Be careful if you are thinking about purchasing that cute little Siamese or Husky in the pet store window. Most animals that are SOLD (not adopted out through a rescue) at a pet store come from puppy mills.

    What is a puppy mill? A puppy mill is where a breeder gets dogs (and cats) and churns out puppies. The females are bred over and over until they are no longer capable of reproducing. The living conditions are deplorable. Some animals have never been out of cages, others are kept in kennels where the feces aren't cleaned out of the pen. Folks end up with cute little puppies that have genetic problems and the puppy or kitten cost much more in vet bills than they paid for the animal.

    If you really want a breed, research. Find a reputable breeder or better yet go to petfinder.com and plug in the breed you are looking for. There are breed specific rescues across the country. You will have made a friend for life.
    Many of these animals have come from deplorable conditions and are eternally grateful to get a good home of their own.

    Also check out your local shelter. On one of my rescue loops a message went out the other day that seven boxers had been taken to a local kill shelter. Luckily, most of them were pulled by boxer rescues. But you never know what you might find at a shelter. Remember Morris? Yup, he was a shelter boy. Our kill shelter has had a lot of siamese and ragdoll cats come through it. And for the cat people out there, you know what a high demand cat ragdolls are.

    The number of animals that would make great pets that get put down is appalling. My county alone averaged six thousand kills a year. That's one county in one state. And unfortunately,now with the economic situation being what it is pets are being turned in at an alarming rate.

    So please, adopt a pet and save a life.

    *To enter the drawing for a copy of Shardai, the first in the Cats of Catarau series and some catnip for your cat just leave a comment. I'll draw and post the winner tomorrow.

    Thanks for stopping by
  2. KaeleeMorgan's Avatar
    Reading: Stephen Kings: On Writing~A Memoir of the Craft
    Just Finished Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    TBR: 20+
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    1

    Awards Showcase

    KaeleeMorgan is offline
    #2

    Default

    Thanks Sharon for posting this thread. I'm a huge proponent of animal rescue and adoption. Both my fur-babies came to us through rescue groups.
  3. Sandra Cox's Avatar
    Reading: Big Jack
    Just Finished Reading: Purity in Death
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    13

    Awards Showcase

    Sandra Cox is offline
    #3

    Default

    Kudos, Kaelee, for getting rescue animals!
  4. #4

    Default

    Sandra, I just adopted a kitten. What a tiger she is LOL. This is my first cat in over 25 years so she is an eye opener.
    Do cats hold grudges or is this just my cat? If you tell her no on something she is going to find a way to do it, no matter how long it takes LOL, and then she'll make sure you know she did it!
    Her latest habit has been to bite, not just scratch. We have had a few wars about biting, between the water spray bottle and being banished to the downstairs at night, she is finally stopping before she bites, at least most the time Perfect she is not lol.
    But a love all the same and I'm so glad we took on this addition to our household that includes two rescued dogs.
  5. Sandra Cox's Avatar
    Reading: Big Jack
    Just Finished Reading: Purity in Death
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    13

    Awards Showcase

    Sandra Cox is offline
    #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Adams View Post
    Sandra, I just adopted a kitten. What a tiger she is LOL. This is my first cat in over 25 years so she is an eye opener.
    Do cats hold grudges or is this just my cat? If you tell her no on something she is going to find a way to do it, no matter how long it takes LOL, and then she'll make sure you know she did it!
    Her latest habit has been to bite, not just scratch. We have had a few wars about biting, between the water spray bottle and being banished to the downstairs at night, she is finally stopping before she bites, at least most the time Perfect she is not lol.
    But a love all the same and I'm so glad we took on this addition to our household that includes two rescued dogs.
    Hey, Jewel! You bet. Not to mention obstinate. Years ago,I had a cat that did the biting thing.
    He'd bite, I'd give him a light tap with the tips of my fingers and say 'no'. He'd bite again. I'd do the same then I'd get up and walk quickly away to make sure I got the last word in. He'd run after me, jump up and nip me on the butt then swager away.
  6. Sandra Cox's Avatar
    Reading: Big Jack
    Just Finished Reading: Purity in Death
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    13

    Awards Showcase

    Sandra Cox is offline
    #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Cox View Post
    Hey, Jewel! You bet. Not to mention obstinate. Years ago,I had a cat that did the biting thing.
    He'd bite, I'd give him a light tap with the tips of my fingers and say 'no'. He'd bite again. I'd do the same then I'd get up and walk quickly away to make sure I got the last word in. He'd run after me, jump up and nip me on the butt then swager away.
    PS But that same cat, ran off a dog that he thought was going to attack me and helped find my daughter when she'd gotten lost in a cornfield.
  7. Shelley Munro's Avatar
    Reading: The Fast Diet Recipe Book
    Just Finished Reading: Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews
    TBR: Lots!
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,031

    Awards Showcase

    Shelley Munro is offline
    #7

    Default

    Great post. I couldn't agree more. My husband and I are currently fostering dogs for the SPCA in New Zealand. We're finding it very rewarding, although it won't be easy to give our puppy back in two weeks time.

    Shelley
    Are you up to PAR?
    Provocative. Adventurous. Risque.
    http://www.ShelleyMunro.com


  8. Sandra Cox's Avatar
    Reading: Big Jack
    Just Finished Reading: Purity in Death
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    13

    Awards Showcase

    Sandra Cox is offline
    #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley Munro View Post
    Great post. I couldn't agree more. My husband and I are currently fostering dogs for the SPCA in New Zealand. We're finding it very rewarding, although it won't be easy to give our puppy back in two weeks time.

    Shelley
    Woo Hoo! Shelley, that is great! Fosters are always in short supply.
  9. Shelley Munro's Avatar
    Reading: The Fast Diet Recipe Book
    Just Finished Reading: Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews
    TBR: Lots!
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,031

    Awards Showcase

    Shelley Munro is offline
    #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Cox View Post
    Woo Hoo! Shelley, that is great! Fosters are always in short supply.
    Yes, they are - probably because it's so hard not to get attached to an animal. We're finding it very rewarding, although Mr. Munro's irrigation system may never be the same!

    Shelley
    Are you up to PAR?
    Provocative. Adventurous. Risque.
    http://www.ShelleyMunro.com


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •