Default Do you skip over long descriptive parts in novels???

The question nagging at me lately...

When you hit a part in a novel that is really descriptive. Do you actually read it or skip over it?

Truthfully, I've never been able to get through it. I love dialogue, thoughts, but descriptions about places, things, endless conversations about nothing particular - I could care less about.

Sometimes, it seems like just a filler - a way to get the word count up and I wish they'd just keep it out. Give me a smaller, faster paced novel where I can imagine things for myself and I'm one happy reader.

So, what's your take on it??
    Reading: Deadlines by Metsy Hingle
    Just Finished Reading: Zero at the Bone by Jane Seville
    TBR: 500+

Awards Showcase

I've been guilty of skimming over too long descriptions of a place or even an outfit...
    Happy Reading
    Anna

Glad to know I'm not alone!! I'm really interested to see how many readers do this. Might be a surprise to know just have many of us could do without it
    Reading: The Hero's Journey; Mythic Structure for Writers by Chrisopher Vogler
    TBR: fifty

Awards Showcase

Depends. If it's overly complicated and distracting me from the action, yes. Sci fi does that a lot. But if the author chooses the right details it holds my interest. Oh yeah, if it's gore, I've been known to skip entire chapters.

Totally agree with you Gianna! If it's necessary then I'm all for it. But sometimes I'll skip pages at a time and feel like nothing had even changed. It's just boring!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Kennedy View Post
    The question nagging at me lately...

I love dialogue, thoughts, but descriptions about places, things, endless conversations about nothing particular - I could care less about.

Sometimes, it seems like just a filler - a way to get the word count up and I wish they'd just keep it out.
    That often happens to me with Stephenie Meyer's books - not bashing the author, just stating a fact! - For example, with "The Host" I was wishing she could just get to the point already! I think that the book could've been about 100 pages shorter if she'd done that (and I a happy camper!)
    To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down.
    Reading: The Hero's Journey; Mythic Structure for Writers by Chrisopher Vogler
    TBR: fifty

Awards Showcase

It depends. If its something I feel is interesting in its own right or relevant to the action, yes I will read it. But if my attention lags and I find myself reading a sentence over and over to figure out what is going on, I move on as well.

I am lucky to have crit partners who let me know that I've overdone something, often at the expense of something else.

I'm guilty as well.
    Reading: Wolf Hall, Little Miss Red
    Just Finished Reading: The Ex Games by Jennifer Echols

Awards Showcase

I would say it depends on the book I am reading like a textbook I will skim along but for a book I would actually read the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by romancereader View Post
    I would say it depends on the book I am reading like a textbook I will skim along but for a book I would actually read the whole thing.

LOL! Textbooks are a definite skim over!! ;-)