Thread: Previews

Threaded View

Reading: The Hero's Journey; Mythic Structure for Writers by Chrisopher Vogler
    TBR: fifty

Awards Showcase

Xwriter Previews

Here's a teaser. The Journey is a historical paranormal novella that rates five flames. Hope to have an announcement about its home soon.

Blurb:

They don't hang witches in Salem, anymore but Milena's punishment is being shunned. When her lover Thomas' ship is lost at sea, she fears he perished with the rest of the crew leaving her alone in a town bracing for a war over slavery, but still rife with an older form of prejudice.

Milena travels into the Otherworlds to search for him, paying the fairies for her passage with bodily pleasures. The evil mermaid, Circe, holding Thomas hostage, demands even more.

On her journey Milena faces off against Circe in her underwater lair, endures the wrath of a colony of escaped slaves, and learns the terrible truth of what led to the shipwreck that left Thomas as its only survivor. But before her journey is complete, Milena will discovers surprising truths about her own past.

Excerpt:

Milena went to the barnyard. Greystone walked to her and nuzzled her cheek. She traced the whirls of hair on his withers and whispered goodbye. She collected eggs, clucked farewell to the hens, and stamped her foot to tease the rooster. He crowed and cackled in annoyance. She milked the goat while the pigs slept, unconcerned by the racket.

She carried the eggs and a bucket of frothy milk to the house. Hecabe rose and moved about the cabin. The food, warmth, and rest had done the crone good. She appeared younger and moved with more ease than the day before.

Milena dropped the eggs into boiling water, then peeled and crumbled them together with dried bread into two bowls. She gave one to Hecabe, who used a wad of dry bread to soak up the warm, savory yolk. Milena put dollops of honey into the milk, and the creamy sweetness soothed her throat as she swallowed.

Milena handed a cup to Hecabe, whose raspy voice anticipated the questions. "The fairies have seduced you. The green aura lingers."

"The moon goddess sent me a sign, and the fairies will take me to Thomas. Care for my animals and my home, for I might not return."

"The immortals amuse themselves in many ways to pass the years. You shall pay dearly until you finally find and rescue your man." Hecabe delivered the news with a seer's typical certainty.>>
    The words did little to reassure Milena. "Dare I go, Hecabe? Can I trust immortal creatures to treat me as more than a plaything?"

Hecabe took Milena by the shoulders. Her gazed bored into Milena's soul. "Look at me. Aren't you disgusted by the vision of what you will become? Long ago, I chose not to enter the Otherworlds to find my lover. If you stay here, safe yet alone, grief will haunt you for the rest of your days."

A young woman appeared, as if peering out of a mirror in front of the crone's face. The vision looked far more like her than Hecabe. The image faded, leaving Milena more disturbed than comforted.

Milena embraced her. "Blessed be, Hecabe."

"May the goddess always be with you. And may you soon see your beloved." Hecabe raised her palms to the heavens and closed her eyes and intoned a blessing under her breath.

"I will care for your home and creatures as long as I can. But you must return before the rites of Lugnasadh, else you'll be trapped in the Otherworld. Our powers are strongest in the coming months."

Milena boiled water for her own bath. Once cleansed, she departed with only the clothes she wore, her hunting knife, and a carved wood pentacle for the goddesses' protection on a leather strap around her neck.