Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stevia--A natural sugar substitute

I don't have diabetes--and I hope to keep it that way. But the diease has been knocking on my door for a while now. Since sugar is a no-no, I started using substitues, but soon read quite a bit on just how unheathly substitues are (and sorry, but yes, that includes Splenda!) So I found Stevia. It's an herb, very sweet, very safe IMO. I've been using it for a half a year now--even in alot of cooking. So I wanted to share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

http://www.steviva.com/

And BTW, it sounds expensive, but trust me, it's cheap. You only need to use a very very small amount, so a container lasts months.
    Slip between the sheets with Alyssa Brooks, erotic romance author. www.alyssabrooks.com
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Cool

Thanks Alyssa!

I am a diabetic and I haven't heard of this one. I am heading over to check it out!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Reading: Lady Chatterly's Lover
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

I'm not a diabetic but I too love stevia just for the fact that it isn't fattening, or health deteriorating and NOT FAKE! Yay.
    I'll blow stevia's horn as loud as I can. Its a happy little green plant. Sweetness!
    "If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine Aird"
    visit me at

http://tarasnichols.webs.com

http://tarasnichols.blogspot.com/

http://blog.myspace.com/tarasnichols

Oh yeah, blow, blow, blow your horn. Spread the sweetness! I love telling people about Stevia. Do you have any recipes to share, Tara? Soon I'll have to pull my cheesecake one out of my head and post it!

I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of it, Karenne--it isn't for sale in the USA at a sugar substitute, but as a food supplement. Not in the grocery stores. Not going to get all political--love the USA--but companies that produce products like Splenda and Nutrasweet make the goverment and bring into the economy far too much money for the goverment to allow in something better, something that would take the market by storm, despite health factors. So until those larger companies find their way to Stevia--as companies in Japan have (it's in the Pepsi there, just ilke Splenda, taking over everything!)...

Anyway, I might have mentioned--you can buy stevia as natural health food stores, or online. I order from Amazon.com, and buy a few bottles, to get the free shipping. I've found SWEETLEAF to be the best tasting brand, but I dont care much for their flavored stevia, just like the plain.

Hugs,
    Alyssa
    Slip between the sheets with Alyssa Brooks, erotic romance author. www.alyssabrooks.com

Default Stevia

This is new to me, as well. Thanks for sharing about it since diabetes seems to be on the increase and I have been trying to cut down on sugar.
    Reading: Lady Chatterly's Lover
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

Default Helpful tool

SweetLeaf Stevia - Sugar Equivalencies
    Use the Chart below to find out how much stevia you need to subsutute for sugar in your recipe.

Sugar
    1 tsp
    1/2 packet
    1/4 tsp
    2 to 3 drops
    2 Tsp
    1 packet
    1/2 tsp
    4 to 6 drops
    1 Tbsp
    1-1/2 to 2 packets
    3/4 tsp
    6 to 9 drops
    1 cup
    18 to 24 packets
    1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp
    1 tsp
    2 cups
    36 to 48 packets
    3 to 4 Tbsp
    2 tsp

Sugar
    Honeyleaf®
    Stevia Leaf
    Powder
    1 tsp
    N/A
    4 to 6 drops
    N/A
    2 tsp
    N/A
    8 to 12 drops
    N/A
    1 Tbsp
    N/A
    1/8 tsp
    1/4 tsp
    1 cup
    1/3 to 1/2 tsp
    1 Tbsp
    1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp
    2 cups
    2/3 to 1 tsp
    2 Tbsp
    3 to 4 Tbsp

Equivalencies are approximate. Adjust to your taste. Too much Stevia may taste bitter. When substituting Stevia for sugar in your own recipes you may have to adjust for the bulk. Try adding applesauce, apple butter or plain yogurt. Stevia is sold in the lace United Stateslace as a nutritional supplement and not as a sweetener or food additive.
    Last edited by Tara S Nichols; June 3rd, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
    "If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine Aird"
    visit me at

http://tarasnichols.webs.com

http://tarasnichols.blogspot.com/

http://blog.myspace.com/tarasnichols
    Reading: Has lots to read and wonders if I can get them all read in the next year .... 100's haha
    TBR: 99999

Awards Showcase

Default Wow that sounds good though

I had no idea and yep I bet the big companies don't want it known so maybe if enough people know about it and crow it can get here as a substitute and battle it out with the others and maybe win? Hey why not if it is good for you not like the other stuff.

Lainey
    Lainey
    www.myspace.com/wolfhealers
    www.myspace.com/ember_lanes_lyrical_muse

THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES, ONLY REASONS WHY AND TIMING IS KEY

I'm positive that if enough people are using it and loving it, those bigger companies will find a way to market it as thier own...think about ebooks and erotic romance...once the bigger companies felt the smaller ones taking a bite out of them, they quickly took those things on.

i sure would love to buy a diet pepsi which doesn't have warning label on it...

I've used Stevia and it is great. It does have a small taste to it though and I prefer Splenda. And yeah there's some reported issues out there about Splenda but in reality much of the hype, from all I've read, isn't true. Now, there's another sweetener though I love--Agave Nectar. It's like honey, it does have calories, but the glycemic index is supposed to be low. I'd love to know how a diabetic would do on this as this is the proof in the pudding so to speak. It really does taste great.

~ Lise

How much danger would you face for the perfect romance?

Lise Fuller, www.lisefuller.com, www.myspace.com/lisefuller, ROMANTIC TIMES REVIEWERS CHOICE NOMINEE, 2006; Pikes Peak Romance Writers 2006 Author of the Year

~On Danger's Edge, print-03/07, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com, 4 1/2 Stars from Romantic Times
    ~Intimate Deceptions, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com, RECOMMENDED READS from Coffee Time Romance and Joyfully Reviewed
    ~Cutting Loose, print-04/07, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com
    How much danger would you face for the perfect romance?

Lise Fuller, www.lisefuller.com, www.myspace.com/lisefuller, ROMANTIC TIMES REVIEWERS CHOICE NOMINEE, 2006; Pikes Peak Romance Writers 2006 Author of the Year

~On Danger's Edge, print-03/07, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com, 4 1/2 Stars from Romantic Times
    ~Intimate Deceptions, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com, RECOMMENDED READS from Coffee Time Romance and Joyfully Reviewed
    ~Cutting Loose, print-04/07, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com

Hmmm...from what I've read about Splenda, there's been no *true* testing to prove it's saftey...and how could there be? It was devolped and put onto the market in a matter of years, so there's no way they've studied the long term use. But like you, I've read negative things, then things that disclaim them. So who really knows? In today's world you could grow crazy trying to keep up with this stuff!

I just prefer using something natural...and Stevia has been used for over 200 years by humans. I think the brand of Stevia you use makes a difference. I did buy some NOW stevia recently and it was plain awful.

I've heard of Agave Nectar--a good friend uses it and loves it. I have never tried it myself, but I know she uses several natural sweetners, and mixes them together in recipes to balance out the flavors...perhaps too much of anything is never a good thing!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast