Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with you. Do you know what mixture your friend uses? I'd be interested in trying it. BTW, there's some negative things about Stevia too, but I really don't buy them. As you said, it's been in use for years without any significant side effects!

~ Lise
    How much danger would you face for the perfect romance?

Lise Fuller, www.lisefuller.com, www.myspace.com/lisefuller, ROMANTIC TIMES REVIEWERS CHOICE NOMINEE, 2006; Pikes Peak Romance Writers 2006 Author of the Year

~On Danger's Edge, print-03/07, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com, 4 1/2 Stars from Romantic Times
    ~Intimate Deceptions, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com, RECOMMENDED READS from Coffee Time Romance and Joyfully Reviewed
    ~Cutting Loose, print-04/07, available in e-book, Cerridwen Press, www.cerridwenpress.com

Yeah, I kinda think any controversy over Stevia is more political than anything...I'm always concientious about trying new things and I did alot of reading on this and other sweetners before I tried it. I don't buy the few things I read and compared to some sweetners...I definitly feel it's one of the best choices.

I'm not sure that my friend uses a specific formula, but when she bakes, she divides the natural sweetners up based on what she's making. Part agave, part honey...etc. It might be interesting to try with Stevia. She does the same thing with flour--instead of uses all whole grain, or all rice flour, or whatever, she mixes it, to make the taste more platable. Makes sense.

This is interesting:

Rebiana is the tradename for a patent-pending, calorie-free, food and beverage sweetener derived from stevia and developed jointly by The Coca-Cola Company and Cargill. In May 2007, Coca-Cola announced plans to obtain approval for its use as a food additive within the United States by 2009. Coca-Cola has also announced plans to market rebiana-sweetened products in 12 countries that allow stevia's use as a food additive. The two companies are conducting their own studies in an effort to gain regulatory approval in the United States and the European Union.[12][13]

Slip between the sheets with Alyssa Brooks, erotic romance author. www.alyssabrooks.com
    Reading: Revealers, Amanda Marrone
    Just Finished Reading: The Other Queen, Philipa Gregory
    TBR: ten

Awards Showcase

Just wanted to toot my horn on the benefits of stevia versus art. sweet stuff. I just began a new diet to get me OFF art. sweet. and so far so good. Thank goodness for Stevia or I would have failed already. I am proud to say I am off caffeine, art. sweetners, table salt, and as much fat as I can muster. I have lost 2 lbs this week!
    Crooked Angel, third book in the Shannon Wallace Mysteries coming soon!
    http://www.mkimsmith.com
    Reading: Lady Chatterly's Lover
    TBR: 100+

Awards Showcase

I'm with you about Stevia and finally I think the rest of the world is catching up. I'm relieved to see advertising against aspartame and the like. Kudos to you to go off so many unhealthy habits. I should but I love my coffee, wine, and chocolate. Stevia does give me a happy solution although baking with it just isn't the same. Of course modifications are easy to come by.
    "If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine Aird"
    visit me at

http://tarasnichols.webs.com

http://tarasnichols.blogspot.com/

http://blog.myspace.com/tarasnichols
    Reading: The Gentleman and The Rogue
    TBR: LOTS

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Brooks View Post
    I don't have diabetes--and I hope to keep it that way. But the diease has been knocking on my door for a while now. Since sugar is a no-no, I started using substitues, but soon read quite a bit on just how unheathly substitues are (and sorry, but yes, that includes Splenda!) So I found Stevia. It's an herb, very sweet, very safe IMO. I've been using it for a half a year now--even in alot of cooking. So I wanted to share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

http://www.steviva.com/

And BTW, it sounds expensive, but trust me, it's cheap. You only need to use a very very small amount, so a container lasts months.
    DH does have diabetes and...yes, I know substitutes are not good for us in large amounts, in moderation, isn't much better but sugar-free products made with Splenda do make it easier to adjust.

We have tried Stevia and are both having a hard time with the aftertaste. It seems to have no different an aftertaste than any of the others... I have some Stevia packets for glasses of iced tea and other things. Is it just like everything else in that you just have to get used to it? Maybe if I add some lemon or lime slices to the tea...

Thanks for the links. I'm gonna go read them...

Lissa Matthews

Erotic Romance Author
    Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest

Reading: The Gentleman and The Rogue
    TBR: LOTS

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa Brooks View Post

I'm not sure that my friend uses a specific formula, but when she bakes, she divides the natural sweetners up based on what she's making. Part agave, part honey...etc. It might be interesting to try with Stevia. She does the same thing with flour--instead of uses all whole grain, or all rice flour, or whatever, she mixes it, to make the taste more platable. Makes sense.
    I love agave nector and agave sweetener. I use it in hot tea, have used it in baking too. I have used honey a lot in baking as well.

Most of the adjustments we've made are to cooking...using a lot more fresh ingredients, cooking from scratch as opposed to packaged boxes, a lot of chicken and seafood, a lot of grilling, fruit... But when it comes to baking, as big a baker I am, I am still intimidated by baking for a diabetic. He loves brownies and cakes and pies and cookies. I'm not sure how to make it all taste palatable and not like sawdust.

Lissa Matthews

Erotic Romance Author
    Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest

As far as I know, many products in the US are using Stevia now....I've heard of a Stevia-based soda named Zevia, which is a good competitor to Cokes and stuff....

I know Stevia is quite expensive in the US, as well as here in Venezuela. Funny thing, in Colombia (where my family lives) it's cheapie-cheap, so when I go there for vacation, I stock up!
    To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12