Hybrid View

Default Socks socks socks!

My favorite thing to knit is socks. I love them all - the simple ones and the complicated ones, lace, cables, stripes, self-striping. (I guess, actually, that I'm not a fan of fair isle socks because I've had some bad washing experiences with them, but this too shall pass.) Socks have that perfect balance of needing my attention a little bit (for turning the heel and shaping the toe) but being grunt-knitting for the most part. That lets my imagination wander and my subconscious solve plot problems.

I just finished the first sock of a pair in a self-striping yarn called Step from Austermann, which has jojoba oil and aloe right in the wool. It's supposed to soften your feet for 40 washes of the socks.

I just liked the colourway. And hey, the stripes worked out perfectly for the socks to match!

What do you like to knit best?

Claire
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Question

You know...I never thought about knitting socks. How long does it take to do a pair? Do you have a pattern (for those of us who are brain dead and need patterns) How much yard does it take?

Think I need to go to the yarn store today...drool
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Well, socks are pretty quick, especially if you use thick yarn and make toasty socks.

Here are a couple of patterns. These are all for using 4 double-pointed-needles (DPN's) but there are probably two-needle sock patterns, too. You'd have to sew them up, though, and I'd rather avoid finishing seams.

Knitting Daily is a new listserve from Interweave Knits - you can join for free, then access their patterns, several of which are for socks.

Lion Brand Yarns has lots of free patterns. Again, I think you have to subscribe (for free) in order to download patterns. Here's a pattern to use with self-striping yarns, although they have others too. Self-striping yarns are dyed so that you just knit and the yarn makes the stripes. How cool is that?!

And once you've found your footing - so to speak! - there are lots of wonderful patterns available for free from Knitty.com. Here's the link to the archive page of links to all the sock patterns they've provided.

In case that didn't give you enough links to chase, here's a link to a whole list of free sock patterns on the net.

There are a lot of terrific books, too. A favorite of mine is called SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS. Vintage books for socks are easy to find, as well. And Stephanie Pearl-McFee has a good basic sock pattern in her book KNITTING RULES, which has even more fun stuff than that.

The thing is that handknit socks are so much more comfortable. Once you've tried a pair, you'll be addicted. Be careful who you give handknitted socks to as gifts because they'll want more.

Claire
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Red face

Thank you for those great sites!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Yes thanks for the links, I would look into those. I prefer to knit socks because knitting sweaters and other things takes a lot of time to finish