I have an author (I'm an editor) who is considering the cover for her first book. She'd like to use a painting that she absolutely loves. The painting is of a bedroom with an open window that shows water in the distance. It's like a water color. Don't know if I could post a picture here.

Her story is about a resort owner who holds a contest in which the lucky winners win two weeks free at her resort. As the winners go through their stay there, you find out all sorts of interesting things about all of them, as well as the reason why the owner hosted the contest in the first place. The book is really interesting, and will be released from Red Rose Publishing in a few months. The title is called Voices on the Waves.

The author's orignal idea was to have a woman sitting on a cliffside over looking the ocean, with maybe a large house somewhere in the background representing the resort. Now she's fixed on using this painting.

So as a reader, my question is, what attracts you to books, realizing that the cover is part of the marketing tool publishers use to sell books?