Our weather here, in the Southwest, has been cloudy and overcast lately, a forerunner to our monsoon season. There has been a definite change in the air and itís a time that I love cooking and baking, when the threat of rain lingers and the heat isnít quite as unbearable. When the weather changes like this, my thoughts drift back to the lovely hills of where I was raised. Even after all of these years Stateside, I do become homesick and miss the simple pleasures of my youth. Being raised in Germany, I grew accustomed to having a baker downstairs and a butcher around the corner from my house. Can you imagine the aroma of fresh bread as it wafted up the staircase of my apartment building? To this day, a pastry or fresh farmerís bread is my weakness, along with a touch of real cream butter!
Today, I employed the use of my teen-ager as I answered emails and made my usual WordPress postings. She was due to learn the simple treat of making an old style apple cake I learned to make in Wurzburg, which is dense with fruit and nuts. This is my favorite treat, with a cup of hot coffee, and takes only minutes to make.
Old German Style Apple Cake
Ingredients
2 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 Ĺ tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Small Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
Ĺ cup slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
4 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray with non-stick cooking spray (or grease) one 9◊13 inch cake pan. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with a mixture of 1 tsp of cinnamon and ľ cup of white sugar.
Mix together oil and eggs until foamy. Add the rest of the sugars and the vanilla, beat well for about 2 minutes.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, Combine the flour salt, the rest of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and the baking soda. Slowly add dry ingredients to the moist ones and beat until combined. The batter will be thick. Fold in the diced apples and the nut meats. Pour into greased pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until center of cake tests done. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Once cake is cool, serve plain upside down. (I prefer to sprinkle mine with powdered sugar)
Bon Apetit