Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Any Quilters in the House?

My name is Jenyfer. I'm an author with Cerridwen Press, a mother of two and a quiltaholic.

I started quilting over a decade ago and have been addicted ever since. Since I've been spending more time writing these days, my quilting time has suffered, but I still manage to squeeze it in here and there. I quilt a lot at night while watching TV. It's kind of sad, but if I'm not busy I fall asleep

I most recently finished a king sized broken star quilt which is the nicest thing I've made to date. I'm not as prolific as I once was, but I hope I'm making up for it in quality. You can see pictures of some of my quilts at my blog http://squashblossom.vox.com
    Stop by and let me know what do you think.

Anyone out there want to talk about quilting?
    Jenyfer
    www.jenyfermatthews.com
    jenyfermatthews.blogspot.com
    www.myspace.com/jenyfermatthews

That flame tree is amazing! It reminds me of a quilt, in a book called QUILTERS' MASTERCLASS. The quilt is called Flamboyant by Valerie Hearder and was inspired by a flame tree. Maybe I can google up a link....yup, here it is, right on her home page. The picture in the book is more detailed and brighter.

I quilt, but sporadically. I piece the top, then don't always get around to the actual quilting bit. Two that are waiting for my needle are Jumping Jax Flash which is a Judy Niemeyer pattern - mine has a black background and stars in gold to peach - and New York Beauty which is a Karen K. Stone pattern - mine is in blues and yellows. I took a workshop that Karen taught last summer, finished the top, and it's been sitting ever since.

One of these days...

Claire

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cross/Delacroix View Post
    That flame tree is amazing! It reminds me of a quilt, in a book called QUILTERS' MASTERCLASS. The quilt is called Flamboyant by Valerie Hearder and was inspired by a flame tree. Maybe I can google up a link....yup, here it is, right on her home page. The picture in the book is more detailed and brighter.

Claire
    Thanks for the link - that is exactly what the flame tree blossoms look like, carpeting the streets and cars.

I'm a compulsive quilt finisher - I feel guilting looking at UFO's . The broken star took me longer than usual because I lost about six months doing an international move and then I was down with back trouble. Once I got going again it took me a couple of months to quilt it.
    Jenyfer
    www.jenyfermatthews.com
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Wink

WOW! That Cathedral Window quilt...beautiful! Did that take a lot of time to do?

I have done 1 quilt in my life (yes, 1) I still use it. It is on our bed. It took me two years to finish. I spent so much time sewing it and pulling it out because it wasn't perfectly ..perfect (yes, that is my nature) that it drove me crazy.

So now I am back to the 'look at other people's quilts' and drool in envy!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

How did you post that picture, Karenne? (Thanks!) I wanted to do that with my broken star picture but couldn't figure it out so I posted the link instead

Ah...the cathedral window....pretty isn't it? It's been in process for going on five years now. Obviously I don't work on it that often!! I'm trying to get back to it now.I can probably make a block like the one in the picture in about a week if I work on it a little every day. I have about five blocks that size made now. It's a great take-along project because I do it all by hand and the bits are small. The beauty of that pattern is that once the block is finished - that's it. No batting, no basting, no more quilting. Just join the blocks together and finished!

My next project is still in the thinking stages. A neighbor of mine wants to commission me to make a twin sized bed quilt for her son - a sampler with a mix of traditional blocks and Egyptian symbols, as a keepsake of Egypt for him. I have some ideas but it will definitely be a challenge for me!
    Jenyfer
    www.jenyfermatthews.com

Awards Showcase

Wink To Post a Picture Directly into your post

To post a picture directly into your post...
    • Start your post
    • at the top of the box (where you enter your text in) there is a line of little pictures to help you with writing your post.
    • The one that looks like this is the insert a picture. Click on that and a screen should pop up to let you enter a URL. Either that or you are going to receive a pop up blocker asking you if it can be opened.
    • Then you enter the URL address (just like you did in your post) and you put it in there and click 'OK'
    • Then the picture will appear in your post.

I'm so jealous. I started one of those cathedral quilts 20 years ago and well, I pull it out every once in a while and stitch a little, then it goes right back into the closet. It's over half done, but . . . I'm thinking it will be great to work on when I retire and I have lots of free time. But - your work is beautiful and I admire you for finishing your projects.
    Reading: The FBI Thrillers by Catherine Coulter- all 15 of them!!!
    Just Finished Reading: The Mitford Series
    TBR: 15

Awards Showcase

Default quilting

My mother just recently started teaching me how to quilt. I found an old Kenmore at the thrift store and I've been using it ever since. I took a ton of old drapery splotches and cut them to make a quilt design of my own. It took forever to make the top but I am finally done. Now we are going to work on putting the whole thing together. I look for old quilts all the time at yard sales and goodwill. I'm off to look at your quilts. Thanks for sharing!
    Kissa
    Well behaved women never make history.
    http://kissastarling.com

Still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong with the link, Karenne. The broken star quilt pictures are in the photo section of my blog http://squashblossom.vox.com

The wonderful thing about quilting is that quilts don't have to be complicated to be beautiful. I can't tell you how much I LOVE to play with fabric. So many colors / patterns, so little time!

Log cabin is a great pattern because there are so many combinations. I have a lovely christmas star quilt I made in a log cabin pattern. It was one of my first big projects.

I have a pretty snazzy machine now, but it isn't a requirement. The first quilt I ever made was hand pieced. Slow but soothing. Then I inherited an old Kenmore machine from my mother which I used for a long time. Basic can be better, depending on what you want to do - I haven't mastered nearly all the features of my Bernina yet!
    Jenyfer
    www.jenyfermatthews.com

Awards Showcase

Default Jenyfer's Broken Star Quilts

Not to worry! I am here to help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast