Reading: My computer screen
    Just Finished Reading: 'Cat Burglar'
    TBR: 3

Awards Showcase

Typing Reasons to like romance novels...

I used to equate romance novels to fluff and kind of teased my girlfriends who had a mass of them that they'd read. Hallmark meets Harlequin, with highly-polished, over-muscled Fabio type models on the covers of them.

Yeah, right!

And then ... I changed my snobbish mind. Here's a couple of reasons I like them these days...

1) A romance novel never says 'Not now, dear, I have a headache'.

2) A romance novel is by turns wonderfully story-driven - and - delightfully steamy. (Take THAT, Penthouse forum!)

I had more thoughts on this but my morning coffee seems to have kicked them out of my head. I'll continue this list in a little bit. In the meantime, if anyone would like to add to this please feel free!

"What you own is your own kingdom, what you do is your own glory/What you love is your own power, what you live is your own story..." - Rush, "Something For Nothing"

The trouble is, as much as I like romance, I can't stand all the blatant sex. I find it boring and would much rather get on with the story. If the hero and heroine are believable, I think just getting a snippet of what they're getting up to and then - CUT, is far more erotic than getting a blow by blow account of their lovemaking. For me, using my imagination is far more satisfying.

Sandy
    Reading: Wolf Hall, Little Miss Red
    Just Finished Reading: The Ex Games by Jennifer Echols

Awards Showcase

writersblock Love Romance

I'm always in the mood for a good romance novel. They always seem to get me in the mood. Plus they brighten up my day if I am having a bad one that is.
    Reading: Tears In a Bucket by Traci Bee
    Just Finished Reading: Confessions of a Beauty Addict
    TBR: Alot

Awards Showcase

As a singleton, I love romance novels because they, for me, represent a little bit of hope...in book form. lol Even the dream of a happily ever after is enough to keep you from slitting your wrists during major holidays, such as the upcoming Valentine's day.

I'm like Sandy though. I don't necessarily like gratuitous sex scenes. As a matter of fact, it is extremely painful for me to write them. So, I don't. Allude to the fact that the act is coming and then I cut it out. In the sequel to my first novel, I grudgingly wrote one at my best friend's request and it's two paragraphs long. lol And I still won't read it. LOL It's crazy. I feel like the real romance is in the emotional connection and not the sex. If your characters don't connect in a compelling way, sex means nothing.
    Author K.L. Brady
    Facebook Fan Page
    www.authorklbrady.com

~ The Bum Magnet~
    A Hilarious Romantic Comedy
    Available in Stores March 29, 2011!

Awards Showcase

Xthud Romance Novels

I love romance novels they just get me in the mood. Plue when I'm not in a good mood they help cheer me up.

xreading

I've loved romance novels way before I started to write them. I was reading romance as a teen. LOL

As for the sex, I've read books where it was over the top and offensive. And I've read others where I wished there was more description. It all depends on the story.

As a writer, I've written a little of both. I only include the sex if it moves the story forward in some way. Some plots are simply more sexual in nature than others. However, I always describe the action frankly. I believe a sex scene can be both romantic and erotic if it is done correctly.

Grab life by the fangs
    Like me on Facebook? Click here.

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Author_KLBrady View Post
    As a singleton, I love romance novels because they, for me, represent a little bit of hope...in book form. lol Even the dream of a happily ever after is enough to keep you from slitting your wrists during major holidays, such as the upcoming Valentine's day.

I'm like Sandy though. I don't necessarily like gratuitous sex scenes. As a matter of fact, it is extremely painful for me to write them. So, I don't. Allude to the fact that the act is coming and then I cut it out. In the sequel to my first novel, I grudgingly wrote one at my best friend's request and it's two paragraphs long. lol And I still won't read it. LOL It's crazy. I feel like the real romance is in the emotional connection and not the sex. If your characters don't connect in a compelling way, sex means nothing.
    I completely agree with you especially if the characters don't connect their really is no story. Everything really depends on the characters if their is to be any sex scenes. Have to admit I have not really read really mind blown sex scenes but just have read sex scenes that are nice well not nice but that would make you believe like you would want to be in that scene.