Thread: Patio Tomatoes

Reading: Dragon Wytch, by Yasmine Galenorn
    TBR: Many

Awards Showcase

Talking Patio Tomatoes

I don't want to dig up my yard for a vegetable garden, but I love fresh tomatoes. I usually have two pots with cherry tomatoes and basil in them. I just have to watch my Golden Retriever, she likes them too.

I know exactly what you mean! I have six potted tomato plants on my patio which I can't plant because I have doggies. I'm a foster for our local animal control, so right now I have a lot of pups. I have two hounds that love to dig and my tomatos would be gone and torn to shreds!

But garden fresh tomatoes are the very best, aren't they? Man, I wish they were ready right now! You're making me hungry!
    Romance with spice! Come visit Latina Writer Gabrina Garza today www.gabrina.com

75% of cats born are put to sleep. Spay and neuter saves lives every day!
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Red face

Good point. For those of you out there that are planning to do Patio Tomatoes or any other vegetables in a pot...remember...you have to give the plants more vitamins!

(takes off my gardening gloves)
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

And more water! the first year I grew tomatoes in pots I lost almost all of them because the dirt was bone dry. I hate when I kill plants and I felt bad since I had no idea what I was doing. Right now we've had a lot of rain (around Chicago) so all of my containers are still drying out.

Should I be worried about that? Will the roots rot or something?

I really have no idea what I'm doing! I'm a dog foster...I can tell you how to keep your dogs healthy but not how to keep your plants alive!
    Romance with spice! Come visit Latina Writer Gabrina Garza today www.gabrina.com

75% of cats born are put to sleep. Spay and neuter saves lives every day!

I have a small garden in which we put a fence around that our dogs weren't able to jump over or dig their way into it. Maybe you could try to put a small fence around it.

Talking Hello

I got some of the little potted tomato seeds and put them in a huge container on my porch and take care of them everyday. Since it is hard for me to bend, I thought I would try the huge pot, but I wonder will they still make anything, since they really need to be under the ground, probably, am I right on this one?
    Reading: Avoid Writer's Hell book three

Awards Showcase

Smile Patio Tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrina View Post
    And more water! the first year I grew tomatoes in pots I lost almost all of them because the dirt was bone dry. I hate when I kill plants and I felt bad since I had no idea what I was doing. Right now we've had a lot of rain (around Chicago) so all of my containers are still drying out.

Should I be worried about that? Will the roots rot or something?

I really have no idea what I'm doing! I'm a dog foster...I can tell you how to keep your dogs healthy but not how to keep your plants alive!
    You can tell if your tomato plants has had too much water because they'll typically behave in one of two ways; either by wilting (always a bad sign) or the leaves turning yellow. If the leaves still a nice dark green with no wilt they should be fine.

Janice~
    Out of this world stories that will leave you breathless
    Janice Seagraves
    http://janiceseagraves.org/

Default Topsy Turvy

I planted a coyote tomato in one of these the other day for a friend. I told her the plant would probably ramble all over the place, so she's planning to guide it to a nearby arbor/arch.

I used the "potting soil" she had, but it was poor stuff. Heavy, for one thing. If I plant one of these myself, it will have plenty of vermiculite and water crystals in it. But instead of buying one, I'm much more likely to melt a hole in the bottom of a five-gallon bucket and make my own. Which of course means tell my husband I want such a hole melted.

In my garden, the things I normally have good luck with (summer squash, cosmos, sunflowers, tithonia, etc) are doing very poorly and the things I normally can't do well (tomato FROM SEED!, perennials from seed, and tobacco) are doing very well. It's odd.

Also, meet the new member of the pack: Baron
    Attached Images
    Reading: Revealers, Amanda Marrone
    Just Finished Reading: The Other Queen, Philipa Gregory
    TBR: ten

Awards Showcase

I am thinking of getting one or so of those hanging tomato planters... anyone use one of those?
    Crooked Angel, third book in the Shannon Wallace Mysteries coming soon!
    http://www.mkimsmith.com
    Reading: My Prison Without Bars: The Journey of a Damaged Woman to Someplace Normal
    Just Finished Reading: Honolulu by Alan Brennert
    TBR: 500

Awards Showcase

For those who love patio tomatoes, take an empty wine bottle, fill it with water and a little bit of soluble plant food then shove the bottle spout down deep into the tomato pot, not so close to the root, though. This helps hydrate your plant as well as feed it, since tomatoes are heavy feeders. I get the most productive tomato plants this way. Of course you'll still water, but if you're in a drier climate, or like me, forget to water, this helps keep the soil moist, and the plant is not too stressed.