Thread: Herb Vinegar

TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Default Herb Vinegar

1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh, firmly packed herbs (a single type or a mixture of herbs), plus additional herbs to identify the finished product
    3 to 3 1/2 cups red wine, white win, or sherry vinegar

1. Wash the herbs in a basin of cool water. Remove any discolored or insect-damaged leaves. It is fine to keep the leaves on the stems. Dry the herbs in a salad spinner or pat dry. Be sure the herbs are completely dry before proceeding.

2. Pack the herbs into a clean canning jar. Pour the vinegar over the herbs.

3. Store in a cool, dark place for 2 to 6 weeks, shaking the mixture every few days. Begin tasting after 2 weeks. When the vinegar is flavorful, it is ready.

4. Pack a single fresh herb into a clean storage bottle to identify the flavoring in the bottle. This is optional, but very helpful.

5. Strain the vinegar through a coffee filter to remove all herbal debris, and pour into the storage bottle. Cork or cap, label, and store in a dark cool place. The vinegar will keep indefinitely.
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Hey Karenne,

What type of recipes do you use an herbed vinegar in? Anything besides meat marinades?

Alyssa
    Slip between the sheets with Alyssa Brooks, erotic romance author. www.alyssabrooks.com

Awards Showcase

Question

You looking for vegetarian alternatives? Is that what you mean?

Reading: Has lots to read and wonders if I can get them all read in the next year .... 100's haha
    TBR: 99999

Awards Showcase

Default FLAVORED VINEGARS can be used for anything

I love to use tarragon or garlic vinegar or others instead of plain vinegar on salads or any cooked greens especially spinach or broccoli with a pat of butter it is really good. You can even use the vinegar on fresh fish or with lemon to eat too. Flavored vinegars also make great gifts for the holidays to give away or as hostess or welcome gifts too. You can make a basket of a few different vinegars.

I am a vinegar person .. hmm can you tell...muah...

Lainey

PS.. thanks Karenne I have not made the vinegars myself though a couple of my sister have and given them to us so we use them of course. yummy
    Lainey
    www.myspace.com/wolfhealers
    www.myspace.com/ember_lanes_lyrical_muse

THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES, ONLY REASONS WHY AND TIMING IS KEY

Quote Originally Posted by Karenne View Post
    You looking for vegetarian alternatives? Is that what you mean?
    No, I was just curious what else you could use them for...
    Slip between the sheets with Alyssa Brooks, erotic romance author. www.alyssabrooks.com

Awards Showcase

Red face

Ohhh...I use them for salads, vegetable marinades, grilling, adding taste to a new dish that has NONE (snicker)

I also give them away as gifts because they are beautiful!