It's early September, late summer, and already I can see the signs of autumn. Every now and then, a leaf twirls towards the ground like a dancer moving backstage. Among the sweet, colorful blooms, a few flowers lower their heads with seed. Full cheeked squirrels scurry away from the birdfeeders while the old oaks limbs lower to the ground with acorns rounding their girth.
While summer reigns over the land by day, at night the autumn mist brings drink to everything perched. Daily, scrumptious corn kernals,sun-ripen tomatoes and other tasty treats are picked and enjoyed with eye-rolling yums.
In the distance, the honk of geese mixes with the soulful wail of the locomotive chugging through the Blue Mountains.
The other day, as I sat on the swing under the old Oak with my bare toes touching the ground on each pass, I ponder how short a visit Summer spent with us. There was so much more I wanted to do while it was here. I decided to write a Bucket List. I might not be able to take off for the shore but there are somethings I've longed to do that I still can enjoy before Autumn makes her entrance. Like...
1) Get me some funnel cake.
2) Day an excursion to some place new or old.
3) Forget about the weeds, nature will take of them soon.
4) Spend an afternoon by the pool with some girl friends. Margarita’s included.
5) Pick and dry herbs to use later.
6) Lay in a hammock for an afternoon with a great book?
I’ll take suggestions on the books.
7) Built a campfire under the stars and eat some toasted marshmallows.
8) Snap some awesome nature pictures.
9) Have one more picnic with family and friends.
10) Write at least 15,000 words on the new novel.
As the dogs days of summer count down what do you have planned?
Have a safe and wonderful holiday weekend, everyone.