Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Xwriter Story Background...

Hero comes from a wealthy family, and from the outside, it seems like everything was handed to him on a silver platter, but in reality, he does work hard to get to where he is in business. His family made their money on Wall Street, he went the other way in life, so he's had to use his business savvy to climb the ladder.

Heroine comes from a poor background (Welfare) and although she keeps that a secret, she comes off more of a snob than he does. It's her way of protecting her privacy. She's in a male dominated industry, so she has to work a lot harder (or so she thinks) to get ahead in the business.

Because the rich kids made fun of her when she was young, living in a trailer, she has a distaste for people who were priviledged and for men in particular, because her father bailed on her mother and they had to fend for themselves.

The business: Children Software Toy company that develops educational toys and the CEO of the company is very family oriented and expects his staff to have impeccible reputations as they are an international high profile company.

Both Chase and Charlotte are vying for the VP position in the company.

Presently, they are both Directors, equal in position.
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Reading: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
    Just Finished Reading: Office Affair by Jess Dee
    TBR: 15

Awards Showcase

Sounds great. Can't wait for the month to start.

I'm looking forward to this month's series and reading all your wonderful chapters.

Going to kick off this month's story "A SEDUCTIVE CHASE" with the first few chapters of the story.

“I’m tired of being perpetually hammered over the head with this discriminatory perception by the male executives.” Charlotte Owens pointed to Chase, her rival-nemesis-major-pain-in-her-ass, who sat next to her in the HR office at Family First Headquarters.

Chase cast his default cocky smile, pissing her off enough to knot her silk panties in a proverbial knot.

David Summers, the HR consultant remained poker faced, as he flipped through a file with the words Confidential stamped on the front.

“How do you propose Charlie is going to—” Chase said.

“My staff and friends call me Charlotte, but you can call me Ms Owens.”

Chase chuckled, knotting her panties even more. “How do you propose Ms Charlotte Owens is going to manage a whole department of senior male directors when she can’t manage her own sales teams?”

“Says you, Neanderthal.”

“I heard that,” Chase said.

“Good.” She leaned foward, tapping her index finger on David’s desk. “How dare he imply that I don’t manage my—”

Chase folded his arms and leaned back in his chair. “Do we really need another one of her feminist propaganda speeches?”

Shutting the file folder, David rolled his eyes. “Chase, apologize. You know you don’t believe that.” He turned to Charlotte . “I did warn you to expect a negative reaction.” David held his hand up before either could say another word. “You’re both highly intelligent, pro-active, creative people and respected professionals. You’re also two of the youngest and fastest rising executives in this company.” David sighed. “If you ever decided to work on the same team you’d be¾

“I manage alone,” Chase said.

“Probably more than you’d like women to believe.”

“How is the company going to settle this?” Chase uncrossed his arms and sat straighter. “I was told months ago that I was the prime candidate for next VP slot.”

“Ms Owens has stepped forward, indicating she’s also interested, and she has the VP of Operation’s backing.”

Charlotte resisted the urge to smirk.

“You’re both qualified,” David continued. “You both passed all the management exams. Upper management has come up with a plan to award the position.”

“I’m listening.” Chase said.

Charlotte dug out her Blackberry, ready to take notes. “So am I.” David cleared his throat. “Well, there is one major stipulation that you’re both probably going to have difficulty with.”
    Last edited by SelenaRobins; September 30th, 2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Formatting of chapters
    Selena Robins
    www.selenarobins.com
    "WHAT A GIRL WANTS" from Samhain Publishing
    Maddie's business is mischief....and business is booming.

Awards Showcase

"And that is?" Chase prompted, suddenly worried since the CEO of Family First was very family oriented. Expecting everyone around him to be in marital bliss with a couple of nagging rugrats circling their feet.

"Mr Carruthers wants his VP to be married."

Chase swallowed back the groan he was sure would slip out. What had he expected?

"Well looks like I'll win hands down since the playboy over there," She glanced across the table at Chase, her smile full of mischief, "changes women like he changes underwear."

"Who says I wear underwear?" Chase countered, fighting back a laugh when Charlotte blushed like a schoolgirl with limited experience at flirting with a bunch of boys.

"Well that would change everything wouldn't it." Charlotte said, her tone rattled. However, two could play at his game. "Maybe I should have said like how most people change underwear."

"Ouch." Chase said, his large hand over his heart. "Are you saying I'm not most people?"

Charlotte rolled her eyes. "Can't you be serious for once?"

"Yeah, when I've won the VP position."

Well done, Bec. I LOLed at this line - "Who says I wear underwear?" (Nice comeback!)
    Selena Robins
    www.selenarobins.com
    Reading: Quo Vadis
    TBR: lots!

Awards Showcase

David acted a little embarrassed by the direction of the current conversation. Clearing his throat, “Be that as it may, the new VP will need to be married.”
    Chase and Charlotte glared at one another. Chase spoke first, “Wanna make a bet?”

"What kind of bet?”

“A bet to see who can get married first?”

“Are you joking? That’s stupid.”

“Yeah, only because you know you’ll lose. The closest you’ve been to a man in the last five years was that hug Ronald McDonald gave you at the charity benefit last year.”

“Oh, real mature.”

“Well it’s true.”

David interrupted and tried to diffuse the situation before it got any more out of control, “Please can you two behave like grown ups here. This is a serious situation and you two are arguing like an old married couple!” David reared his head back and let out a loud guffaw, “Now there’s an idea, you two could marry each other!”
    A. Desray aka Felicia Rogers
    Felicia Rogers Website
    My Facebook Fan Page
    "The Key" on sale for .99!
    "Mara's Secret", sequel to "The Key"
    "The Holiday Truce"
    "The Perfect Rose" currently $1.99!
    "There Your Heart Will Be Also"
    "Love Octagon" TBA

Quote Originally Posted by adesray View Post
    David acted a little embarrassed by the direction of the current conversation. Clearing his throat, “Be that as it may, the new VP will need to be married.”
    Chase and Charlotte glared at one another. Chase spoke first, “Wanna make a bet?”

"What kind of bet?”

“A bet to see who can get married first?”

“Are you joking? That’s stupid.”

“Yeah, only because you know you’ll lose. The closest you’ve been to a man in the last five years was that hug Ronald McDonald gave you at the charity benefit last year.”

“Oh, real mature.”

“Well it’s true.”

David interrupted and tried to diffuse the situation before it got any more out of control, “Please can you two behave like grown ups here. This is a serious situation and you two are arguing like an old married couple!” David reared his head back and let out a loud guffaw, “Now there’s an idea, you two could marry each other!”
    ----

Good! Nice cliffhanger.
    Selena Robins
    www.selenarobins.com

Bec and Adesray, well done!

Good conflict. They each are vying for the same job, both are highly competetive and would do ANYTHING for this job. Hmmm, would Chase distract her by scaring her? Or is someone else they both know and trust behind this? Or maybe Charlotte has a long time stalker?

Would they be willing to enter a pretend marriage to someone else or each other for appearances, since the company CEO is adamant about his VP's being married or at least in a serious relationship?

Lots of good stuff, but you gals take this any direction you want. I'm enjoying your creativity.
    Selena Robins
    www.selenarobins.com
    Reading: darkest seduction gena showalter
    Just Finished Reading: The Perfect Match Kristan Higgins
    TBR: 23

Awards Showcase

“Has he done anything else?”
    “Well....”
    “Charlotte” he growled.
    “I did get a few phone calls... and a letter before the emails started” she admitted grudgingly.
    “Alright your coming home with me.”
    “What?” Charlotte said too shocked to believe what she heard.
    “You. Are. Coming. With. Me.” .
    “That's what I thought you said. And why one earth would I stay with you?” she asked, ignoring his condescending tone.
    “Because it's not safe for you to go home and despite what you think I like to earn my success. And WHEN I win VP it will be because I am the best; not because my competition was taken out by a psycho.” Chase said, watching both the fear and anger cross her face.
    Reading. It's not just a hobby. It's a way of life

Awards Showcase

She clenched her hands into tight balls, her fingernails digging in to her palms, reminding her that hitting him wasn't in her best interests. In fact, it would likely leave her without the pleasure of winning the VP position, and showing him how good she really was. Or worse yet, leave her without a job that she'd achieved so much at.

Her creations were number one hits among both children and parents, having been completely sold out within hours of being released on store shelves across the country and in high demand for the company to make more quickly.

But for now that wasn't important. What was, was that Chase back off. She didn't need his protection, nor want it. She could handle some persistent psycho with his internet intimidation tactics, as well as anyone who tried to manhandle her.

So she told him so. "Listen Chase, I appreciate that you want to protect me but I can take care of myself just as I have been for the past twelve years."

"But--?"

"But nothing." Again, she interrupted. She didn't require a handsome hero like many of the ones from the romance novels she read. "Besides, I'm not completely helpless. I have pepper spray as well as a mean roundhouse kick and I'm not afraid to use them. I'll be fine."

"At least let me walk walk you to your car and follow you home Charlie."

"No way Chase. I'm not going to let some psycho win." She told him, then feeling inclined to add something about his nickname for her, she snapped, "Also my name is Charlotte not Charlie."

"Why do have a problem with Charlie?"

"That's really none of your business." She said sternly, telling him the question was off limits. Which only made him more curious about her, so he pressed the issue by asking personal questions.

"Did something happen in your past? Someone who called you Charlie that you were afraid of?"

Chase sucked in a deep breath at the look of misery across of her face. Shit. What had happened to her? He knew from the background check he'd had carried out on her that she'd been in foster care from the time she turned ten. After her parents had been gunned down in their own home during a home invasion, and she'd witnessed the whole thing. Like any child who'd lost something precious to them, she was utterly traumatised but did anyone care? Of course not. Authorities whisked her into the system where she was bounced from home to home until a couple with no hope of having their own children adopted her.

Continuing to look at her, Chase just now realised how hard a life she must of had. Was it possible that one of the men from her foster families had taken advantage of her? And now was that same jerk harassing her and ruining the way she'd turned her life around?

Suddenly feeling protective of Charlotte, he gripped her around the upper arms, pulled her close, and leaned his forehead against hers. "You are coming home with me whether you like it or not."

"Okay." She whispered, even though she was aware it wasn't the smartest thing to agree to. Then before her mind could make any sense of the intensity of his command, she kissed him.