Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spice allergies

Hybrid View

TBR: 600+

Awards Showcase

Unhappy Spice allergies

I have an unusual one-I am allergic to cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. As you can imagine, this makes the autumn season a very difficult time.

What I am trying to do is find alternative ingredients for these spices, does anyone have any suggestions? My family would like to be able to cook pumpkin and apple recipes again, as well as sweet potatoes.

It is amazing how many foods have these spices. Many teriaki sauces contain ginger, an outrageous number of cereals contain cinnamon and I just discovered that my foot care product contains nutmeg!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Red face

oh my goodness! No pumpkin pie?

Hmmm...I don't know of any substitutes..but I am going to go and check my books to see if I can find one.

My goal..make sure charmed can have pumpkin pie!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Awards Showcase

I really miss apple pie, mashed sweet potaotes and ginger cookies. I have tried several food sites, with no luck.

Up until a few years ago, I could eat them no problem. Now I can't even be in the same room or I start wheezing.

Oh you poor thing! I can't think of anything offhand to replace those spices...but I'll keep an eye out while I'm reading!
    Slip between the sheets with Alyssa Brooks, erotic romance author. www.alyssabrooks.com

What about cardamom? I think this is a sweet kind of spice that might be good with apples and pumpkin. You know, just some brown sugar and butter and vanilla is great on sweet potatoes. I think I like that better than with the spices! That's also good on apples too!

Ground, dried orange peel lends an autumny flavor. You can make little mulling bundles of dried orange peel, a piece of vanilla bean, dried rose hips and raisins. You could probably use this mixture to flavor pumpkin, as well. I would use a strong flavored sweetner, though, like dark brown sugar, maple syrup or molasses. If you can find some butternut syrup, that has a lovely flavor. It's really scarce, though - hardly anyone taps butternut trees these days.

Quote Originally Posted by charmed View Post
    I have an unusual one-I am allergic to cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. As you can imagine, this makes the autumn season a very difficult time.

What I am trying to do is find alternative ingredients for these spices, does anyone have any suggestions? My family would like to be able to cook pumpkin and apple recipes again, as well as sweet potatoes.

It is amazing how many foods have these spices. Many teriaki sauces contain ginger, an outrageous number of cereals contain cinnamon and I just discovered that my foot care product contains nutmeg!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    LOL you mean I'm not alone? I'm also allergic to Cinnamon, but now add in vanilla. You can't imagine how many things I can't eat anymore. LOL

But being the chemist I am hehe, I substitute. Vanilla for Almond
    and Cinnamon for (Usually nutmeg since I can eat that ...for now ) but more often than not, for Cardamon. Or there's Mace. Can you eat that?

Aline
    Last edited by Aline de Chevigny; October 1st, 2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Aline de chevigny
    www.alinedechevigny.com
    Lifemates Available at Red Rose Publications
    Blood Hunted Available at Aspen Mountain Press

Awards Showcase

Hi everyone,

thanks for the suggestions. I have done some experimentation with cardamom and brown sugar, so far they have worked pretty well. I like the idea of using dried ground orange peel, and the syrups, I'll have to try those.

Aline, it's so nice to met a fellow cinnamon sufferer. I have been told numerous times that I can't possibly be allergic to cinnamon, that I should just be honest and say I don't like it. Bah humbug!!! I like cinnamon just fine; up until I developed this allergy it was one of my favorite flavorings. Now I have to avoid an absurd number of food items, candles, room sprays, etc.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm delighted to have more substitutions to try.

LOL yes well it gets worse. Mt ex used to love wearing vanilla chapstick.
    Not a pretty picture when your allergic to your boyfriend LOL

Aline
    Aline de chevigny
    www.alinedechevigny.com
    Lifemates Available at Red Rose Publications
    Blood Hunted Available at Aspen Mountain Press

Awards Showcase

Eeek, no that's not good. It reminds me of the news story about the girl who died after kissing her boyfriend. She was allergic to Peanut butter and he had just eaten a Peanut butter sanwich.

I can't imagine a vanilla allergy. What a nuisance! :D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast