Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Market Hook

Reading: Something erotic, vampirish, or a book with a guy in a kilt on the cover
    Just Finished Reading: A hot book! What else?
    TBR: GOBS

Awards Showcase

Default The Market Hook

Have you ever been asked for your marketing hook and intended readership? Was your reaction the same as mine? A blank stare, a few blinks, and a flurry of emails sent to everyone I knew who'd ever been published. LOL

Here are some of the things I've learned since. Authors, please feel free to chime in! This is a wide area for coverage and your feedback is valuable to us all.

MARKET HOOK

Basically, this is a tool that creates AIDA: Attention, Interest, Desire, Action. Let me demonstrate by pointing you to an author website that uses it well, my friend Shayla Kersten. Here is her welcome page.

This ain't your momma's romance novel!

From the torn bodice novels to no bodice at all, erotic romance kicks up the spice. Once upon a time, all the good stuff in a romance stayed behind closed doors but erotic romance opens the bedroom, or the living room, the bathroom... Well, you get the picture.

No euphemisms, no mincing words, today's erotic romance takes you through the trials, tribulations and sexual escapades of your hero and heroine. Or your hero and hero!

So if you like your romance hot, this is the place to start!

Welcome to the Erotic Romances of Shayla Kersten!
    A hook is what entices the reader to take a step further. A hook for a novel may be as simple as a tag or blurb. Or it could be a phrase, such as Ellora's Cave's line, "Feed your Romantica craving".

INTENDED READERSHIP / TARGETED AUDIENCE

Simply put, this is who you believe is going to buy this book once it's published. Just as you wouldn't submit a manuscript about racecar drivers to a cookbook publisher, your publisher doesn't want to market their books to the wrong demographic either. They want to know who you think will be the main buyers. Publishers want to make money, so the more you know about who your target audience is, the more they can help you reach it.

Ask yourself these questions:
    • What are the themes of your book?
    • If you were going to promote it on the yahoo groups, which groups would you choose?
    • What age bracket suits this book?
    • Does it take place in a specific area (like Wyoming, NYC, Asia) where readers in that proximity would take notice?
    • Is it a niche genre (like Science Fiction) which would interest a specific group of readers?

NOTE: Your readership will determine your marketing slant. Again, think cookbooks and racecars. If you've written a cookbook for tailgate parties to NASCAR races - then you have a crossover genre book.

I write Science Fiction Romance - so there are two genres. Tack on Erotica and you get an entirely new crowd. My books also involve a political system, deal with genetics, have gay characters, and champion those whose rights are being trampled because they are different. People who are interested in these themes are my targeted readership.

Figuring out who finds your work interesting is part of the entire marketing package. Knowing where to focus your attention will give you a stronger ability to reach the people who want your book. And that will result in sales!

dedicated to my crit buddy Jerry Race
    Last edited by kayelle_allen; June 19th, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
    Kayelle Allen

Read the Romance Lives Forever News (goodies and books)
    The Author's Secret: eBook conversions, banners, and premade book covers
    Follow me on
    Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Goodreads / Shelfari
    Reading: All or Nothing by Debbi Rawlins (HQ Blaze)
    TBR: Lots!

Awards Showcase

Awww, Kayelle! I'm thrilled to get praise from you on marketing! I've been agonizing over my cover letter hook for my Kensington proposal!

And have a ton of ideas for our joint project!

Hugs,
    Shayla
    Shayla Kersten
    The Erotic Romance of Shayla Kersten
    Longing For Eternity, Ellora's Cave, Available now!
    A Helping Hand, Ellora's Cave, Available now!
    Double Happiness, Ellora's Cave, Available October 24th!
    Masters of Desire (Keket's Curse), Kensington Aphrodisia, Jan 2009!
    Reading: Something erotic, vampirish, or a book with a guy in a kilt on the cover
    Just Finished Reading: A hot book! What else?
    TBR: GOBS

Awards Showcase

Now that's good news.
    Kayelle Allen

Read the Romance Lives Forever News (goodies and books)
    The Author's Secret: eBook conversions, banners, and premade book covers
    Follow me on
    Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Goodreads / Shelfari
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Talking

You know what Kayelle...you are right. I remember that site because of what you quoted there. I look at a TON of web sites and remember that one specifically!

It is well done and written to catch my attention and kept it. I don't remember what the site looks like or anything else (no offense Shayla..wink) but I remember the author's name and that paragraph!

Good choice!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Reading: All or Nothing by Debbi Rawlins (HQ Blaze)
    TBR: Lots!

Awards Showcase

No offense, Karenne! As long as you remember my name! *cackle*

Shayla
    Shayla Kersten
    The Erotic Romance of Shayla Kersten
    Longing For Eternity, Ellora's Cave, Available now!
    A Helping Hand, Ellora's Cave, Available now!
    Double Happiness, Ellora's Cave, Available October 24th!
    Masters of Desire (Keket's Curse), Kensington Aphrodisia, Jan 2009!

Quote Originally Posted by kayelle_allen View Post
    Ask yourself these questions:
    • What are the themes of your book?
    • If you were going to promote it on the yahoo groups, which groups would you choose?
    • What age bracket suits this book?
    • Does it take place in a specific area (like Wyoming, NYC, Asia) where readers in that proximity would take notice?
    • Is it a niche genre (like Science Fiction) which would interest a specific group of readers?
    NOTE: Your readership will determine your marketing slant. Again, think cookbooks and racecars. If you've written a cookbook for tailgate parties to NASCAR races - then you have a crossover genre book.

I write Science Fiction Romance - so there are two genres. Tack on Erotica and you get an entirely new crowd. My books also involve a political system, deal with genetics, have gay characters, and champion those whose rights are being trampled because they are different. People who are interested in these themes are my targeted readership.

Figuring out who finds your work interesting is part of the entire marketing package. Knowing where to focus your attention will give you a stronger ability to reach the people who want your book. And that will result in sales!
    See? There's that homework again. Can't I just write the book and let that be it?

I joined a chat waaaaaay back when I first wanted to be published and one lady said the easy part was writing the book. I sat there thinking, no that was the hard part because it took me forever to get a story I felt comfortable submitting. You know what, I want those days back. Ignorance is truly bliss. I'm so distracted with promoting this first book that I'm not able to concentrate on finishing my third.

I'll be happy when 10 July rolls around. Then I can let word-of-mouth take over. If I hook enough people with this first one, then promoting all the ones that follow should be a little easier, right? Say yes or I'm blaming my insomnia and writer's block on you.
    ---
    D. Reneé Bagby
    Building New Realms of Passion...
    http://about.me/dreneebagby

Zenobia Renquist
    Discover Different & Unique Romance
    http://about.me/zenobiarenquist
    TBR: 250+

Awards Showcase

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Shayla Kersten View Post
    No offense, Karenne! As long as you remember my name! *cackle*

Shayla
    (blushing) I didn't know how to say that. I worked on that post for quite a while and finally just gave up and put it up. Thank you for taking it right!
    I smile because I have no idea what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Karenne View Post
    (blushing) I didn't know how to say that. I worked on that post for quite a while and finally just gave up and put it up. Thank you for taking it right!

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one. It'll take me forever to post just because I'm reading it and re-reading it and correcting stuff and adding smilies et al just to make sure people don't take what I wrote the wrong way. It's annoying as all but nercessary. I had a bad experience with chat rooms (live chat rooms) back when chat rooms were still new. Yeesh, and that wasn't even that long ago. Technology is growing and changing in leaps and bounds.

I hate phones for the same reason. Unless it's with someone I know well (and who knows me and my "unique"--read cynical--tendencies), I absolutely abhor talking on the phone. You'll never get me to call someone I don't know just to say "hi". It won't happen. I avoid tech support and pass on jobs that require me to use a phone, too. I've been told many times that I come across as snotty. I don't mean to, it's just the way I talk. I blame my mother.

Case in point, this post took me 20 minutes. ;P
    ---
    D. Reneé Bagby
    Building New Realms of Passion...
    http://about.me/dreneebagby

Zenobia Renquist
    Discover Different & Unique Romance
    http://about.me/zenobiarenquist

Kayelle, yup, more homework, but when you said:

Have you ever been asked for your marketing hook and intended readership? Was your reaction the same as mine? A blank stare, a few blinks, and a flurry of emails sent to everyone I knew who'd ever been published. LOL
    I had to laugh. Man I felt like you must have been looking in the window at me. Knowing who your target audience is, well it's just huge. It's also something I don't think a lot of authors think about. They do the writing, and then they do chats, but many don't seem to hit the right places to chat.

I do have a question. I write in a variety of genres and cross genres, which I love and it never gets dull. But, am I loosing readers because of it? I mean when I write a f/f western, I know that not everyone is going to want to read it. Same with the m/m contemp, or the sci-fi erotica, or the shapeshifters, or the couple into spankings. How would you go about marketing if you had such a wide variety of books out there?

Jude
    *Jude Mason - Readers needed: come, explore with me...if you dare!*
    Newsletter: Jude Mason's Newsletter

Shayla, you have an awesome website. (And that hunk in the corner ain't half bad either)

Hugs
    Jude
    *Jude Mason - Readers needed: come, explore with me...if you dare!*
    Newsletter: Jude Mason's Newsletter
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast