Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice Blue

Reading: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
    Just Finished Reading: Office Affair by Jess Dee
    TBR: 15

Awards Showcase

Jack plotted the downfall of his pretty detective, and smiled. So Megan believed she could go on a date with Keith and have it go uninterrupted. No way, Jack thought. But what could he do? Perhaps send her a spine-tingling note while she was eating. Or even have one of the restaurant employees tell her she had a phone call and he be on the other end of the line. The possibilities were endless. But nothing quite as good as his next idea. His smile grew wider.

"What's that smile all about?" Eris asked, watching the master in the rear view mirror while she drove.

"Just thinking about what I have in store for the lovely Megan."

"And what have you decided?"

"You'll just have to wait and see like everyone else."

Keith pulled onto the road where the restaurant was, only to find red and blue lights blazing from the top of several police cars.

"I wonder what's going on."

"I have no idea." Megan said as she glanced down at her phone to see if anyone had called her about a homicide. "But whatever it is can not be good if there are this many police cars."

Keith pulled over into the only available parking space, and they both opened their doors and hopped out, meeting the chilly air that had lingered every night for the past week like it always did before the coldest season of the year hit.

Keith ambled over to Megan's side, and saw the look of resignation on her face. They both knew if there was a dead body, that it would be one that Jack had left for her. Especially if Jack knew she was going to be with Keith. He'd always been jealous of the other men in her life.

"Everything will be alright Megan. Trust me. Jack will make a mistake and then we'll have him." Megan nodded, and Keith put his hand to the small of her back to get her moving.

They crossed the road, and headed for a young rookie that looked paler than a vampire who hadn't fed in a couple of days. Megan held her badge up and said, "Megan Handelvar, Psycops. What's happened?"

"Ask the captain." The young cop said, pointing to a fifty-something man who screamed in charge. "He can give you all the grisly details."

"Grisly?" Keith said as they headed in the direction of the uniformed man with dark hair greying at the sides. They passed the rowdy crowd of onlookers who looked on unappreciatively. If at all. As any dead body that had Jack's signature all over it wasn't easy to gaze down on without tossing your cookies. His style of psycho was even worse than that of the well known serial killers. "That really doesn't sound good."

"What did you expect?" Megan asked, her voice betraying her. She felt sorry for the young officer. "He's a rookie scared out of his wits at what is most likely his first homicide."

When they reached the yellow and black DO NOT CROSS tape, they ducked underneath it and came to a halt when they heard a deep, angry voice from someone in front of them.

"Who the hell are you?" The captain demanded as he approached. "And just what do you think you're doing inside my crime scene?"

Megan exhaled in annoyance. Great. This was just what she needed. A crabby captain pissed at her because he thought she was there to take over his big case. She tugged on her badge, sliding it up and over her head, and held it out to the irate man. He snatched it from her hand, and glanced down it loathingly.

"Psycops huh? I didn't call for the spook squad." He told them, first looking at Megan and then Keith with hostility. "And who is the boy wonder with you?"

"Keith Gillette, her amazing psychic sidekick." He held out his hand towards the captain, who chose to ignore it. "So now that we've introduced ourselves, and seeing as we're here what do you have?"

The captain, Charles Davies -- as his badge read -- sighed and then he told them. "It's a body wrapped in linen bandages soaked by blood."

Awards Showcase

"Great." Keith huffed angrily, looking at Megan. Once again, Jack had managed to dump a body in a crowded place and no one see him. "He's totally changing his MO."

"What are you two talking about?" The captain asked.

"We're talking about the killer we've been chasing for three years. This is his work." Keith explained, relaying far more information than was necessary. He told the captain all about the murders Jack had committed and how the bodies were found. The knowledge was enough to churn one's stomach. However, the captain was obviously tougher than he looked because he never once had to excuse himself or told Keith enough was enough.

Megan heard the harshness in Keith's voice as he told the captain everything. Was he remembering what he'd suffered at Jack's hands. Or was he remembering what she'd suffered, both emotionally and physically. He'd seen the criss-cross of scars across her stomach and back one day when he'd surprised her in the locker room. He'd been furious beyond belief, smashing several lockers with a closed fist, yet knowing he couldn't change any of it.

From that moment, Keith was the only person who knew the whole truth about her life with Jack. How she'd noticed Jack had become more and more distant from her in their relationship, and how she'd had enough. How one night she'd followed him, only to watch him kill someone and realize someone was watching him. How she knew she was in trouble, even before Jack got his hands on her. The way Jack had tortured her in an abandoned building, where no one would hear her screams and come to help. She'd been bound by heavy duty rope, that even a magician would have a hard time of freeing themselves from and doused with water. Then Jack had zapped her a few times with live wires, to which she screamed until her voice failed her. And how that wasn't enough for Jack. In the end, he'd lashed her with a bull whip, marring her alabaster skin with a zig-zag pattern.

"Can we see the body?" Megan heard Keith ask, and she stiffened. This was one body she didn't want to see because she in her mind's eye she was envisioning herself. The way she would have looked if she hadn't escaped Jack's evil clutches the night she'd been caught following him.

"Why?" Megan asked, before the captain could answer.

"Why what?" Keith frowned at her, suddenly worried. It wasn't like Megan not to want to see a dead body when she could gain clues of it in hopes of catching the killer.

"Why do you want to see the body?"

"Because I want to see what impressions I get."

Awards Showcase

They stared down at the body, stunned.

Fuck, Keith thought. This could be Megan's twin. The same icy blue eyes and pale blonde hair stared up at him from the victim's heart-shaped face. Keith reached down and touched one of the dead girl's fingers.

His mind reeled at the pain that flashed through him. Images clamored for attention, one after another, jumbling together in his thoughts until he forced them into some semblance of order.

She was a co-ed, a waitress. A sister. An aunt. She'd been working at the restaurant when she'd been taken and slaughtered like an animal. But for all that she bore Jack's MO, this one was different. This one was...

Reading: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Awards Showcase

...marked. The killer had left a signature on the body. A small cross in the woman's left cheek.

"This isn't Jack's work, Keith." Megan said as Keith rose and stepped back from the body.

Keith shrugged, not knowing what to believe. "It could be though Megan. What if Jack's just trying to throw us off our game and making us think that this isn't one of his victims?"

Megan shifted her gaze from the woman's pale face to Keith's and stared at him in confusion. Had she missed something? "What do you mean?"

"Well for one thing, that woman looks exactly like you Megan. In fact if you weren't standing right in front of me alive, I would believe she was you."

Megan shook her head, still not comprehending what Keith was telling her, so he continued. "You're his end game Megan. The one who got away. And he won't stop coming after you until one of you are dead or you both are."

"Then it's going to be him Keith." Megan said, and for the first time Keith was happy that she was starting to open up. That she was no longer the emotionally dead woman he began working with years ago. "Because I'm so sick of his game."

Also, the families of his victims had suffered enough. She'd suffered enough. It was time to rid Jack of the world, or at least put him in prison where he'd remain for the rest of his life. Even if it cost her hers.
    Last edited by Karenne; February 28th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.